Since the old thread is 1.5 yrs old, I decided to make a new one I can get credit for.Does anyone else participate much?I got into it last year, but this year I got into it much more. I got my 1st hole in one last week, on a 251 footer using a Sidewinder.Today I hit chain/top-of-basket on two holes. (I Frolfed 63 holes today over 3 diff courses)Anyone else got good stories? What are you all throwing these days? Discuss.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent played Disc Golf in at least 16 years when one of my schools had a course on campus, I went camping this summer and the KOA site said Disc Golf so I thought that would be fun for me, the wife, and the 5 year old but got to the site and the disc golf was about shoulder height in brush and had rattlesnakes written all over it. So they went swimming and I drank alot of beer. Either way I was going to drink beer but at least I had a few without the effort of carrying them.

One of my roomates and a few friends play all the time, and I wonder why they wouldnt just go out a hit the $hit out of a ball instead. I mean you can still drink and smoke on a golf course, which is more than half the reason they go. But hey i went a couple times and it was chill, just never got into it. I think one of them got a hole in one last week, he was stoked about something.

I've been playing a little as of late. I bought a $20 disc and I only use it. Is it worth buying a putter also? Anywanys, I play on what I think is a hard course. I've only played it twice, but every hole is a par 2 and they are all between 300 and 400 feet. I am really bad at frolf and I got 16 over par, which was good for me. However, I lost my disc on my first shot on the second hole so I had to use someone else's from then on.Are there any tips how to frolf better? Because I throw very hard and they don't go far or straight, and by the tenth hole my arm is killing me.

I play pretty often at the only course in town. I use a Star Valkry for driving and a Blo-Fly for putting. I got an ace once on a 275 ft hole with a stupid tree about 25 feet from the tee box directly in line with the hole.

Putters help sosososo much, definitely worth it. If you want to go to make it easier on yourself, get a Putter and a Mid-range disc as well. What was the disc you were throwing that you lost? Discs are designed to be overstable and understable. If you are right-handed and throw across your body (a normal throw causing it to tail left) then an overstable disc would cause your throw to exaggerate the flip to the left if you were to throw it straight. If you throw an understable disc straight, it will have a tendency to tail to the right, before flipping over and tailing back left (like an s-curve)If you want tips to throw straighter, come straight across your body. Imaging bringing the disc to your left shoulder and then coming across at almost a downward angle. That should have it come off the hand flatter.Mid-rangers are great discs because they obv don't go as far, and are much easier to point and throw. Mine usually go from 180-220 ft (versus my driver which I can toss ~350 at the max). I recommend any Buzz disc by Disccraft. Putters float making them lose distance but increase control a ton. Good for 50 ft and less.

Every Sunday we have the 9:30 tee time at a local course and play 36. We have 4 fairly solid courses within 40 minutes of here and 3 others that are good for a change up. I only play with 4 discs and that seems to do just fine for me. I use a Champion Valkyrie, Shark, Stingray, and an Aviar. Just like real golf (and I am pretty decent) I am SOOOO amazed at how good the really good players are. I usually shoot just a couple over par, but when they have tournaments here the really good players score like it's Tiger Woods '02. I have played in one tourney and although everyone was pretty laid back, they do take their shit pretty serious. I've played pretty much every course in GA and a couple in central FL. One of the ones in Florida was weird. Weaving through and across a real golf course..including fairways and ponds. One hole you had to throw over about 200 feet of water and the pin was right on the other side of the pond. Oh, did I mention there were alligators in all of the ponds and waterways? So sick.

We used to disc all the time! I have about 15 discs that I carry with me when I play. I probably couldn't use them like I used to, but there were the really broken in ones that you knew would turn hard right and some newer ones that you could keep on a straight edge all the way to the basket and you always have to have at least one roller....and ALWAYS a putter.Our home course was 19 holes and all the holes were par 3's. The really good guys can shoot 10 - 15 under. The best I ever did was 12 under, but the last time I went I shot a 3 over, so I guess I'm not as good as I used to be.One tip for throwing straighter - pretend like you are smacking a midget and try to get some snap at the end of the throw.

I play sometimes. I only throw hammers (straight over hand) because I play a lot of ultimate and throwing backhand or forehand in frolf messes up my ultimate throwing. I can usually throw it ~300 ft consistently and dead straight.Obviously, I'm not very good.

I'm a righty. When I throw it, I kind of throw it side-arm, so I start off with my right hand on my right side, and I end it at my left shoulder. Is throwing it across your body better, like how you would just throw a regular frisbee?

When you throw it side arm you want to really snap it at the end. Also, how many people really call it "Frolf" and not "Disc"? I guess maybe it is a California thing ... but we NEVER called it Frolf.http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesdriving.html
I've never even heard of it being called 'disc'. I've only heard of 'frolf' in Cleveland, or 'disc golf' when explaining what frolf is.
When you throw it side arm you want to really snap it at the end. Also, how many people really call it "Frolf" and not "Disc"? I guess maybe it is a California thing ... but we NEVER called it Frolf.http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesdriving.html
This is the first I have heard of frolf. Think I will stick with the DG.
Nice...how long was the hole?
Shorty. 215 ft. But I had to split about a 5 foot gap between trees at both ~20ft from tee and ~150 ft from tee.
Shorty. 215 ft. But I had to split about a 5 foot gap between trees at both ~20ft from tee and ~150 ft from tee.
What disc did you use. For those kind of throws I have been using my Buzzz, which has been awesome.My only hole in one was a 260ft shot that had to go hard left around a few trees with my Orc.
What disc did you use. For those kind of throws I have been using my Buzzz, which has been awesome.My only hole in one was a 260ft shot that had to go hard left around a few trees with my Orc.
I was using the....Buzz (HiFlex) haha.Buzz=The Nuts for anything 180-220ft
I was using the....Buzz (HiFlex) haha.Buzz=The Nuts for anything 180-220ft
So true. My friend got one first and I tried a nice straightforward 200yd shot between some trees and hit the chains. So I immediately bought one the next day. Man all this talk about discing ... I might actually have to start playing regularly again. I always carry my disc bag in my truck, just in case I get the urge.
  • 1 year later...

So I have officially taken up the game again. We are Disc Golfing every saturday now at 7am, so we can get out early and get in 2 rounds. The first couple of times I was shooting 5 - 8 over par, but the last two rounds I had were even par and 1 under. I bought a new champion sidewinder and champion spider to add to my bag. The first throw I had with the spider hit the chains on a short 215 footer, so that was a good way to get it warmed up. I still only have the one Ace to my name, but hopefully now that I am getting my throw back in shape I might just get another one day.Anybody else still playing?

I've been playing every thursday now for the past few weeks. I only use a regular frisbee though, GotSprung bought a set and he creamed me this past week. I will definately have to get a putter for sure. I really do like using my frisbee though for long range, my accuracy is supurb but I do have trouble getting enough lift whenever I throw it.

I've been playing every thursday now for the past few weeks. I only use a regular frisbee though, GotSprung bought a set and he creamed me this past week. I will definately have to get a putter for sure. I really do like using my frisbee though for long range, my accuracy is supurb but I do have trouble getting enough lift whenever I throw it.
You use an actual Whamo Frisbee? Learn how to grip and throw an actual disc golf disc and you'll be amazed at how much your distance and accuracy improves. Oh, and a putter's only good if you practice a fair amount. Unlike golf, laying up isn't usually the best shot, imo. Meaning, some players like to toss the putter disc intending to drop it into the bottom of the chains and use the basket to catch the disc. I think it's more important to make a straight shot into the middle of the chains and don't worry about leaving yourself 6-12' long if you miss everything. Obviously the course and conditions can have an effect on this approach, but bad habits are hard to break and learning the right way up front will let you improve more quickly. I carried 8 discs in my bag when I played almost daily. These were sufficient for my 5 regular courses.