Responding To The Nfl Blog

I usually agree with most of what Danie writes in his blog, or at least respect his opinion on subjects I don't care about, ie. Religion.But I disagree that "The NFL is a disgrace"He brought up some good points about these players who are physically injured from the NFL, and they should be working towards correcting that, but I hardly see how that one aspect of the league makes the whole NFL a disgrace.The NFL does countless good things for this country through the United Way, and other organizations. It does more good than bad in my opinion, so I don't see how it's a disgrace. How does everyone else feel?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. Daniel seems to think that every job in the US involves a pension, when in actuality, the vast majority of jobs do NOT have pensions. For most of us out there, we get social security disability if we become disabled and that is all. It might seem disgraceful to him, but that is the way it is done here in the US.

Gene Upshaw is a disgrace and needs to be fired. This same issue has been brought up for years in the NFL retired player circles. Alot has been done to compensate the retired NFL players of the past ie. pension increases and so on, but more help is needed for these players. I know many retired NFL players who feel Gene Upshaw is joke and only cares about himself. Hopefully this TV special will open up some more eyes to this very serious issue.

I agree that calling the whole NFL a "disgrace" is a little harsh. I think that it's a bad thing that they are not supporting the retired players finanically, and totally unfair. However, I was thinking the same thing as I read the blog. The NFL has done a lot of great things too, so making a general statement about the whole league like that isn't really called for.

I agree that calling the whole NFL a "disgrace" is a little harsh. I think that it's a bad thing that they are not supporting the retired players finanically, and totally unfair. However, I was thinking the same thing as I read the blog. The NFL has done a lot of great things too, so making a general statement about the whole league like that isn't really called for.
Actually the NFL Players Association is a disgrace for allowing Upshaw to still run there affairs.

The players association is a total disgrace. They have NO, ZERO, NONE balls…that being said the NFL owners are some of the most ruthless overbearing SOB’s I have ever seen. They are however outstanding business men, offer a great product at pretty reasonable rates and most certainly take advantage of the players. I hate Jeffery Laurie but I love the Philadelphia Eagles and won’t be giving up my season tickets anytime soon…I just got my invoice last night in the mail for the 07 season. DUE the end of FEBURARY!!!!At least they screw everybody.

If you watch the special, and see the despair in the eyes of those retired players who just want to health care insurance, it makes you feel strongly that the NFL is failing miserably. These dirty little secrets they don't want the public to see. As a league, there is more wrong with the NFL than just this. This isn't necessarily the fault of the league itself, but the epidemic of high school players overeating and basically, killing themselves to get over 300+ pounds, in the hopes of being noticed and making the league is also destroying lots of lives. This is more the fault of high school and college sports, but they are trying to mimick the unhealthy human beings we see every Sunday. Do you know what happens to a 350 pound lineman after their careers have ended? It's really, really, sad in most cases as they balloon up to 400+ pounds, can barely walk, and many suffer early deaths. I love watching football, but I think it's just so sad what is happening to these guys. While they are playing, they seem to beleive that they are invincible, but in the end they suffer badly.

I believe that the NFL is one of the few sports leagues too that doesn't have guaranteed contracts.You get hurt, the team lets you go. Goodbye millions. In other leagues they would still have to pay you.Not sure but I think this is what I heard.Also Daniel will you not watch and gamble on the superbowl?I agree with you that the treatment of retired players is dispicable but I can't not watch.GO COLTS!!!!

Its funny that you can respect his opinion on something you don't care about... like religion.But can't respect his opinion on something you do care about... like football :PBut I somewhat agree with you. Professional athletes take incredible risks. But then again so do professional gamblers. And like DN said about people that want to become poker players, you can't babysit them. You can't tell them not to do it because they could get left out to hang. The NFL makes stars out of athletes and even if they're earning profit on the eventual demise of those players, you could say the same thing for Harrah's.Maybe my comparison is a little off base considering the whole drafting process and how lots of these players have little to nothing to fall back on, but I don't think a league should care-take for its players to the point that seems to be suggested.

Actually the NFL Players Association is a disgrace for allowing Upshaw to still run there affairs.
Exactly. Are we sure here that the NFL is all to blame? Unions Suck!!!!!
If you watch the special, and see the despair in the eyes of those retired players who just want to health care insurance, it makes you feel strongly that the NFL is failing miserably. These dirty little secrets they don't want the public to see. As a league, there is more wrong with the NFL than just this. This isn't necessarily the fault of the league itself, but the epidemic of high school players overeating and basically, killing themselves to get over 300+ pounds, in the hopes of being noticed and making the league is also destroying lots of lives. This is more the fault of high school and college sports, but they are trying to mimick the unhealthy human beings we see every Sunday. Do you know what happens to a 350 pound lineman after their careers have ended? It's really, really, sad in most cases as they balloon up to 400+ pounds, can barely walk, and many suffer early deaths. I love watching football, but I think it's just so sad what is happening to these guys. While they are playing, they seem to beleive that they are invincible, but in the end they suffer badly.
Listen, Ive seen the desperation in a crackheads eyes too and have not been moved. All Im saying is these guys should have planned ahead. I love football so much you cant even imagine. But to think for one second that any professional sport isn't a business and any professional athlete isn't a businessman is down right ignorant. I dont want to see anyone in pain anymore than you but times are changing and the players from the past, unfortunately, are absorbing the difficulties that the players of today will likely never know. Whats the average NFL salary? Im not sure but whatever it is plus benefits, these guys have no excuse for not planning for their future today.As a player for 14 years through college, I can tell you that already at 26, I feel the after effects of football everyday... and I never even had knee surgery! As for players that are 350lbs+ after retirement, there's no excuse for that no matter what your job was. A 350lb offensiive lineman is in better physical shape than 90% of people. If he doesnt either stay in shape, lose weight or both, Im sorry to say, thats NOT the NFL's fault.
I have this show TIVO'd but just got back from LA and haven't had a chance to see it yet.I'm an idiot about such things but is there no pension for the NFL players? I would think that it would be (or could/should be) a mandatory thing that every player and owner contribute to some massive fund to provide if nothing else medical care for everyone who retires from the league. Is there no such system in place? Guess I should wait until I see this for myself, but on the face of it this seems to be a disaster and an embarrassment for the NFL.

Most NFL players typically realize that they are in a dangerous profession with a noted shorter life span then the average human being... compare the NFL to what sumo wrestlers do to their bodies.Hey, nothing compares to large amounts of money and love of the game :)Edit: If a study came out that said poker players are 23498234982 times more likely to have a spinal injury due to the long periods of sitting, would you stop playing Daniel?Edit2: GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, nothing compares to large amounts of money and love of the game :)Edit: If a study came out that said poker players are 23498234982 times more likely to have a spinal injury due to the long periods of sitting, would you stop playing Daniel?
This is kind of what I'm getting at, only more in the sense like this:What if Chris Moneymaker for some reason got himself involved in a game that was over his head and went bust? Should the WSOP pay him to start back up? He made them a lot of money, they made him a lot of money. He knew what he was getting into.But just like DN said. They think they're untouchable when they're young only to have their dreams crushed.But what if you told Reggie White "I don't recommend playing because you could become a cripple for life" or what if you told Daniel Negreanu "Don't do it you'll probably fail and be left with nothing but gambling debts and a deadly gambling addiction that could haunt you to an early grave as you borrow money and lose the trust of everyone you love."I feel incredible sympathy for the players, even ones that got themselves into that situation. Just as I do drug addicts. And I donate as much of my personal time and money as I can to help those in need. But I'm not going to tell the NFL to raise my ticket price so I don't have to get directly involved. If I buy into the main event and don't cash, I'm not going to ask for 5000 back.Buy the ticket take the ride, as they say.

We are all responsible for our own well being. If we don't take the necessary steps to provide for our future, who are we to demand someone else take care of us?This may sound harsh, but I don't have alot of sympathy for Liberal/Social issues (and I'm Canadian, lol), especially those that involve poor choices and ignorance, and the public attitude that the rest of us need to pick up their grocery bills because of it.Now, if these guys have paid into a pension play and that pension plan is not paying out just what it said it would, you have a point. Otherwise, nada.

Its ridiculous to think that these folks can't think ahead. I don't agree with DN one bit about the NFL needing to make a change because as much as it is on their shoulders to make a change the people it has affected needed to plan ahead. Where were the complaints when they were living in the nice houses driving nice cars? To say the NFL is a disgrace is nonsense. To say it is a very cutthroat business would be more up the right alley. Lets see, from Wikipedia, who used an ESPN list as a source "Dobler is best known as arguably the dirtiest player in NFL history." So a guy who made a living cheating and trying to hurt others outside the rules deserves my sympathy?Even if they didnt get paid the million dollar contracts the league minimum for a player is still more than most will make in a year. if im a rookie this year i make 260,000 dollars. Thats more than the president makes. To call the NFL a disgrace is just asinine, as you should include poor planning by people playing a game where they push their bodies to the max know that future problems may be in the works. Look at Muhammed Ali. The man was a great boxer but because of his profession is now disabled. as sad as it is its the chance contact sport athletes take. I dont know much about hockey but i would assume a lot of those players have health problems afterwards to. Does the NHL compensate better than the NFL?

I agree with the OP in the sense that the NFL does a lot of good things for their public image but there is a real problem here. My uncle was a pitcher for the Mets in the 70's and baseball has an excellent benefits program for their former players. He was able to start his own real estate company and have a successful life after baseball but couldn't have without the help he received from MLB and the PA. Former players really aren't asking a lot for their disabilities, just enough to get by. Why is that too much to ask?? Based on the incoming revenue the league receives, this shouldn't be a problem. And it's amazing to think that a players association could turn their back on retired players like that. Gene Upshaw puts the *** in association.

Even if they didnt get paid the million dollar contracts the league minimum for a player is still more than most will make in a year.
Man you are forgetting that these guys can ONLY WORK FOR APPOX. 10yrs! Take inflation into account and there's a problem there for the players who are now disabled because of the game. How can you not get that??
Exactly. Are we sure here that the NFL is all to blame? Unions Suck!!!!!
Yeah what have Unions ever done for workers? :club: I think the main point is that the sucess of the NFL was built off the hard work of these retired players but the NFL does not give enough back in appreciation. If the NFL was going around saying we are just about the money and we don't care about people that would be one thing but they put on a facade like we are this caring corporation and then treat the people who made them what they are like yesterday's garbage. The early pioneers of NFL did not recieve millions so you can't say they squandered what was given.

Daniel,First and foremost, I have to say how much I respect you for all the things you do, say, and stand for. I'm a huge fan, and Ive been apart of the FCP army since late 2004 and I truely enjoy the site and all of your blogs...keep up the entertainment!!!Its your blog, your opinion, so you can say whatever you want...but I would like to add my 2 cents.I am currently finishing up my last year of med school with a focus on physical rehabilitation, so I would say I have some knowledge on functional capacity and independence of a person. In the case of Conrad Dobler, If the man has had 7 operations and spent 100 days in the hospital he must have some hell of a health plan or a ridiculous amount of money coming from somewhere. Any type of knee surgery should be a 2-3 day max stay. Thats where our health care system sucks. total knee replacements and they want you out and home sometimes THAT DAY!!!! While this man is averaging over 10 days per stay?? Sounds fishy....Also all the pain meds,Im willing to bet this is being covered by something as well. I doubt a person lives in constant pain. Whatever they do to exacerbate pain, they stop doing. Maybe he has constant pain when walking/weight bearing, but there are other means of transportation. Yes, his legs may be 90% impaired, maybe even 100%. It sucks that he probably wont ever walk again but to say that he cant work is absurd. I deal with many spinal cord injury patients and many of them work!!! In todays society, being 56 years old does not mean you dont have to work. Hard labor is out of the question but there is work to be done. Using a low number as $26,000 as an average football salary in 1970s is misleading. Taking in consideration the time value of money, that number is like having $40-45k in 2007. Today, Average salary per person in the U.S. is $30-35k who will work a 40 hour work week, 50 weeks a year. NFL players get to sleep in most days, rarely put in 8 hours of work and have FEB- JULY practically off. Who knows what this person did with his money, maybe he was smart??!! Most likely not. But lack of planning on his part is of no emergency to the NFL. Few players make it out of the game with no chronic injuries that will last them a lifetime. Its a system where the NFL abuses its players and the players abuse the NFL.You have people who cant read or write but can run a 4.2 40 yard dash and will get a FREE college degree, and possibly make tons of money. This doesnt include all the extra benefits that the "stars" receive at home, on the road, wherever. Take your beats and move on.. This man has clearly been out of the game for probably over 20 years, what has he been doing since..A lot of nothing is my guess. He's banged up and bruised and the NFL wont pay disability for him. It would be near impossible for the NFL to cover all injuries sustained during competition.When a player decides to become a pro athelete, they are well aware of the risk of injury associated with the sport. Whether they choose to recognize the chance that it could be them is another story. Oh, and DN...Do me a favor and win the next WPT so I dont stay up all night sweating the action on cardplayer just to see another 2nd!!! j/k-Alan (aka Captainhooks)

Man you are forgetting that these guys can ONLY WORK FOR APPOX. 10yrs! Take inflation into account and there's a problem there for the players who are now disabled because of the game. How can you not get that??
You are right, how can they only work for 10 years and expect to be ok from that? Well if you look at the league minimum salary chart if a player did only play for 10 years (which seriously most can play for 10 plus) He would stand to make 5.7 million dollars during that career, not counting signing bonuses almost everyone gets and the incentives on their contracts. 5.7 million dollars, lets cut that in half for the government and we are looking at just around 2.85 million dollars. a teacher that makes 30 thousand dollars would have to work 95 years to achieve this feat. This is all bad financial management not a hosejob by the NFL. so you are right, how can i not get that? If they are disabled thats why they have health insurance. average people that get hit with cancer are able to make ends meet but a muti-millionare is supposed to be compensated because of their health problems and possible lack of health insurance?
You are right, how can they only work for 10 years and expect to be ok from that? Well if you look at the league minimum salary chart if a player did only play for 10 years (which seriously most can play for 10 plus) He would stand to make 5.7 million dollars during that career, not counting signing bonuses almost everyone gets and the incentives on their contracts. 5.7 million dollars, lets cut that in half for the government and we are looking at just around 2.85 million dollars. a teacher that makes 30 thousand dollars would have to work 95 years to achieve this feat. This is all bad financial management not a hosejob by the NFL. so you are right, how can i not get that? If they are disabled thats why they have health insurance. average people that get hit with cancer are able to make ends meet but a muti-millionare is supposed to be compensated because of their health problems and possible lack of health insurance?
That's TODAY'S salaries, go run those numbers for 25yrs ago and then you'll see what I'm talking about. This will not be as bad of a problem in the future because the players today are compensated better. Back in the day Football wasn't the feature sport like it is today. Those guys didn't make a truck load of money. I'm pretty sure if you were injured on the job you'd want some type of disability assistance from the company who put you at risk. It's the same thing. The NFL is an employer just like any other company. They should be responsible for paying out that money.
Actually the average NFl players career is 3.5 seasons but obviously your likelihood of lifelong debilitation is decreased with a shorter career.

THE MLB was like this in the 50's and 60's too. Players who played back then had no pention and once they retired, they had to go find another job somewhere, and get health insurance. Luckily there is an organization called B.A.T. (Baseball assisatance team) who helps these players. They hold an annual dinner every year in NYC and I went 3 years ago for the first time then they next year. The cost off a ticket w as around $600, but someone took me w/ my dad and brother that year. For the 1st 2 hours we were able to get autographs from older players, most of who are famous including; Sandy Koufax, Joe Morgan, (the guys who hit the shot heard round the world, cant think of his name), Tommy Lasorda...and the list goes on. During the dinner, a former player, who I also forgot his name told a story of how B.A.T. helped save his son. He had played in the 50's and had no insurance or pention. His son, was diagnosed with cancer around 2000. B.A.T. basically saved the man's life by paying for his medical bills. But they also help 100s of other players. Im very surprised the NFL doesnt have this

Actually the average NFl players career is 3.5 seasons but obviously your likelihood of lifelong debilitation is decreased with a shorter career.
That's because they have to average in the Ryan Leafs of the world and other DBs and WRs who can only cut it for a couple of years. If healthy, most starters in the NFL have between 6-8 year careers. Most the time, those are the guys who get hurt.