Joe Montana On 'Rudy'

OK true or not, Joe Montana just went into the total douchebag category ......Joe Montana has some issues with the way his former college team was portrayed in "Rudy" -- because the former Notre Dame superstar just insinuated Rudy Ruettiger was more of a joke than an inspiration. Montana -- who played on the 1975 Fighting Irish squad with Ruettiger -- appeared on DirecTV's Dan Patrick Show this morning and said of the flick, "It's a movie remember ... not all that's true."After a dismissive sigh, Montana undermined some of the main storylines in the movie saying, "The crowd wasn’t chanting … nobody threw in their jerseys."Montana acknowledged that the real Rudy did play in the final home game ... and did get a sack -- but stated that when the players carried Rudy off the field, they were "kinda playin' around ... I won't say as a joke, but playing around."Joe finished, "He worked his butt off to get where he was ... but not any harder than anybody else."Audio of the interview ... http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_a...na_audio_v3.mp3

Not sure why that makes him a douchebag.
it just does, ok?That movie is meant to be an inspirational movie and the way it was written it was. We all know it's a movie and we all know there are probably some elaborations, but to have someone of Montana's stature basically make a joke of him is pretty unnecessary. He possibly could have given the same information in a less condescending way and I would have had a different opinion, but he came off as a total douchebag/jerk-o
it just does, ok?
The preface of every good argument.I could definitely see Joe Montana being a secret d-bag but this is not proof. It's not really news that movies take liberties with true stories.

THis doesn't surprise me at all. When I was a freshmen, I was in a small dorm with a bunch of guys on the football team, and I got to talk to some of them about the movie. They thought, everyone of them, that rudy was just a loser. HE wasn't inspirational to them, he wasn't uplifting, it was just a pathetic dork and they laughed at and mocked him. I found it kind of shocking at the time, but it makes sense, and it makes sense that Montana would make these comments. It probably tilts Montana that this rudy guy who was the butt of their jokes on the football team and was considered a loser by the players has made a cottage industry of going around giving speeches and cashing in off this myth, where as the guys on his team that were actual players, who actually contributed to the team, are forgotten.

Sounds like he was just being honest and not a douchebag at all. I'm pretty sure it has been out for awhile that the movie wasn't that accurate, just because Joe Montana is talking about it doesn't make him a douchebag

Sounds like he was just being honest and not a douchebag at all. I'm pretty sure it has been out for awhile that the movie wasn't that accurate, just because Joe Montana is talking about it doesn't make him a douchebag
wrong!

I went to college with a few guys from the South Bend area (Rudy came out my freshman year), and 2 of their fathers were in Rudy's class. These guys always used to bag on the movie because I guess Rudy wasn't well-liked at all by the football players or many others. Direct quote from one of the guys - "Rudy was kind of a jag-off!"

Not sure why that makes him a douchebag.
It kindof does.
THis doesn't surprise me at all. When I was a freshmen, I was in a small dorm with a bunch of guys on the football team, and I got to talk to some of them about the movie. They thought, everyone of them, that rudy was just a loser. HE wasn't inspirational to them, he wasn't uplifting, it was just a pathetic dork and they laughed at and mocked him. I found it kind of shocking at the time, but it makes sense, and it makes sense that Montana would make these comments. It probably tilts Montana that this rudy guy who was the butt of their jokes on the football team and was considered a loser by the players has made a cottage industry of going around giving speeches and cashing in off this myth, where as the guys on his team that were actual players, who actually contributed to the team, are forgotten.
But what if he's not saying that he was uplifting to the players, but that without ability he was able to make the squad and even get a sack in only a few career minutes on the field. He can inspire others, without the players thinking he was cool.
But what if he's not saying that he was uplifting to the players, but that without ability he was able to make the squad and even get a sack in only a few career minutes on the field. He can inspire others, without the players thinking he was cool.
It's such a phony, lame inspiration tho. I guess the message is.. " If you dream it, yo ucan achieve anything" but it's not true. He didn't REALLY achieve anything, he wasn't REALLY a football player on notre dame. he was a joke. They let him in at the end of his senior year as a pity token appearance. His whole life's goal was to be a Notre Dame football player, but he wasn't a Notre dame caliber of football player, and no amount of hard work or dreaming would make him one. the only reason he didn't get cut is because the team could carry unlimited walk ons at the time. He was just a loser who had a pathetic dream and that everyone laughed at. More inspirational I think is that he was able to repackage it into a public speaking career, and able to sell his life story.

Rudy Ruettiger's Teammate: Joe Montana Is WRONG!!Joe Montana is wrong about "Rudy" -- according to a member of the 1975 Notre Dame football team ... who claims the guys weren't "playing around" when they famously hoisted Daniel Ruettiger onto their shoulders. TMZ spoke to #79 Jay Achterhoff -- who literally participated in Rudy's legendary quarterback sack ... and dude insists the events in the movie are "98% true."Achterhoff tells us, "Rudy was carried off the field that day ... but not as a joke -- but because he finally got to play." He added. "You've never in your life seen a guy who wanted to be on the field more."Achterhoff -- now a regional manager for a trucking company -- also says he's "disappointed that [Montana] wasn't more supportive of Rudy" during the shocking interview with Dan Patrick yesterday.So how does Rudy feel about Montana's comments? His rep told us, "The movie is based on his story. Other than that ... no comment."

A gritty reboot of the Rudy franchise?
I would love someone to make a rudy-style movie, where at the dramatic climax of the game, instead of sacking the qb, the fb chop blocks him and blows out his knee, and he just ends up on the ground in tears.
I would love someone to make a rudy-style movie, where at the dramatic climax of the game, instead of sacking the qb, the fb chop blocks him and blows out his knee, and he just ends up on the ground in tears.
Now THAT'S a movie I would pay to see.