player profile: phil ivey

phil_ivey.jpgTournament Accomplishments:Tied WSOP Record winning three gold bracelets in one yearFive Gold Bracelets Total in Four Different Events:2000 $2500 WSOP Pot Limit Omaha Champion2002 $1500 WSOP 7 Card Stud Champion2002 $2500 WSOP Stud H/L Champion2002 $2000 WSOP S.H.O.E. Champion2005 $5000 WSOP Pot Limit Omaha ChampionWon $500,000 at First Ever Live televised event in the USA20th on WPT Money List: $1,152,896Six WPT Final Tables11th on All-time Money List19 Cashes at the WSOPWSOP Earnings: $1,468,293Total Tournament Earnings: $4,392,669Cash Game Accomplishments: There isn't a high limit player in the world that works harder or works more than Phil Ivey. Phil's biggest strengths are his ability to "outlast" his opponents while playing marathon sessions. Phil will rarely quit if there is someone willing to continue. He excels playing long hours and is an excellent short handed player.He plays in the biggest cash games in the world on a regular basis where million dollar swings are the norm. Phil has arguably won more money playing poker in the last five years than anyone on the planet. Both his tournament and cash game skills are well respected amongst his peers.Best Game: 7 Card Stud. Phil cut his teeth on the game playing $1-$5 stud at the Taj. Within about six months he was already playing in the $75-$150 games.Worst Game: Omaha H/L. It's hard to call it his worst game because he's come along way in the game. It's probably his worst game by default really.Strengths: Endurance, creativity, focus, shorthanded skills, dedication. You could go on and on about Phil's strengths really. He is a student of the game and the fact that he respects all of his opponents skills is what keeps him sharp. He takes no one lightly.Weaknesses: No real poker weaknesses to speak of. What remains to be seen though is whether or not he can keep up this torrid and exhausting pace for years to come. If he's not careful he could run himself ragged and burn out too early. He needs to make sure that he takes enough time away from the game to keep him interested.Cash Games: 10Tournaments: 9Emotional Stability: 9 Heart: 10Short Handed: 10 Ring Game: 8.5No Limit Hold'em: 9Other Notes: Phil doesn't spend much time worrying about what others think of him. His priorities are winning money at poker. Since he plays in the biggest cash games in the world that means a smaller tournament schedule. He isn't in this game for the fame or noteriety, he is in it for the money all the way. He doesn't do any self promotion whatsoever, but the public is fascinated by his skills and his presence at the table which makes him one of the most popular players in the game today. He's not one to talk about how great he is... he simply proves it.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel you forgot to mention that he has one of the best stare downs in the game... he will burn a hole thru your body with his eyes :club:
Johnny Juanda has the best stare....no contest there....Ivey doesnt really stare at you....he'll just glance by moving his eyes, not his head.

he's my brotha from a different motha, if i had 5% of his skill id drop out of school to play poker. I love how he just wants to play poker and thats it, nothing crazy just poker.

• 3 weeks later...

When he took out DAgostino to claim the title awhile back during the ceramony he looked like he was still in game mode... Either that or he was just so mentally exhausted he didn't care...Then again it wasn't that much money he just wanted the title he could win that much money in a capped pot in a cash game... Everyone says he's one of the best tourney players but he's never in tourney shape because he'll play crazy long sessions just before tourneys so he doesn't play to his ability...

Phil has a really good way of keeping a good attitude when he gets a bad beat. In the 2003 WSOP, Freddy Deeb caught a lucky card on the turn making a set of kings, beating Phil's set of sevens. Freddy impatiently asks for his chips and Phil calmly tells him to "Relax". After the chips switch sides Phil says "It must be the shirt" looking at Freddy's red checkered looking shirt. Phil is a very aggresive but great tourny player

• 2 weeks later...

phil is the best.. thats right the best poker player in the world because of his ability in both tournament and cash games... alot of players are considered great players because of their great tournament play but most of them wouldnt last an hour in the cash games he plays (and wins) in...

I would have to agree with Phil's preference for cash games over tourney games. Tourney games are worthwhile if you make the final table and can make some money otherwise I consider it a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, Phil Ivey rocks. I think he gets docked money if he smiles. I remember that event he won(turning stone right?) I believe the director said "okay Phil, you can smile now." That is what is so great about Phil Ivey, he looks the same whether he wins 1 million dollars or loses 1 million dollars. He almost has a "where am I?" look on his face.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil Ivey seems to be the most focused player at the table no matter who else he is sitting with. This guy is great for the game and he is alot of fun to watch. Without a doubt he is in my top five favorite players.

• 2 weeks later...
Phil has a really good way of keeping a good attitude when he gets a bad beat. In the 2003 WSOP, Freddy Deeb caught a lucky card on the turn making a set of kings, beating Phil's set of sevens. Freddy impatiently asks for his chips and Phil calmly tells him to "Relax". After the chips switch sides Phil says "It must be the shirt" looking at Freddy's red checkered looking shirt. Phil is a very aggresive but great tourny player
Then Freddy said something like "If you're still around tomorrow I'll let you wear it".... Ivey said something like "you'd have to pay me sumthin"

yeah, Phil is a great player. Daniel forgot to mention that he finshed 10th, just off the final table, in 2003. With that size field (800+), thats an impressive accomplishment especially when u consider that the hand he went broke with was impossible to get away from. I think he had a full house and got outdrawn when someone else made a bigger boat on the river. I think it was Farha. Check my info, Im not completely sure.

Yeah I just watched it on ESPN. The board was Q-9-x-Q and Ivey went all in with 9-9 and was called by moneymakers A-Q. The A fell on the river and Ivey was out. If hed won that hand, he probably wouldve been the favorite at that point. He wouldve been the chip leader and imo the best player of the remaining 10.

Phil Ivey is the second greatest player of all time in my opinion. Only Ungar was better, but he's not around anymore so Phil is currently the best in the world in my opinion.

Phil Ivey is the second greatest player of all time in my opinion. Only Ungar was better, but he's not around anymore so Phil is currently the best in the world in my opinion.
Definatley agree, Most of the pros when asked who they think is the greatest player today will say Ivey.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a chance to watch Ivey this year while working at the World Series of Poker. He was at the table on day 5 of a player I was tracking as a media person. I watched as hand after hand he picked up the blinds from the cutoff/button, making fools out of the competition to his left. Then again, how can I blame the players on his left when he makes this play at the blinds. Clearly, it is a play at the blinds, and the blinds know it, everyone knows it. The problem lies here, how are you going to call it if you're one of these inexperienced internet qualifiers? Call and then play a big pot from out of position against the best poker player in the world? I don't think so. Anyways, just wanted to note how dominant he is in tournament poker on the hands that are non-confrontational that ESPN doesn't televise. The guy is a machine, and will double his stack at points in the tournament without a single showdown or confrontation past the flop.

• 1 month later...

Ivey has to be my greatest overall inspiration in the poker circuit today. Besides his great play, intense focus, and unrelenting aggression, his overall enthusiasm for the game is something for all players to aspire to. This guy really is the face of modern poker. People make an arguement for internet players being the "New Generation" of poker players, but I think that Ivey's drive to improve his game is what makes him worthy of such high praise and success. He doesn't get up and scream when he wins, or sit and bitch and moan when he loses. He's a human sponge that absorbes everything the game has to offer and takes it as a learning experience. I saw a show on FSN recently in which he said something to the effect of, "I've never played a perfect poker session. I make a mistake of some sort everytime I sit down and play poker." This view to me is what makes him such a poker role model. He is constantly forcing himself to get better at all facets of all games, and that is what will ensure him eventually going down as the best overall poker player of all time :club: