The Steven Stamkos Sweepstakes

Current race...1. Los Angeles Kings 25%2. Tampa Bay Lightning 18.8%3. Chicago Blackhawks 14.2%4. New York Islanders 10.7%5. Toronto Maple Leafs 8.1%

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for all the questions, but why are the Blackhawks in 3rd position to draft him? I thought they had a good season going.
They did, until Toews went down, Havlat forgot how to score goals (he's scored in exactly 4 games all year), Khabibulin forgot how to win games (tonight was his first win since December) and the Hawks went 4-10 in January. Losing to Los Angles 9-2 was basically the beginning of the end, that's the game they lost Toews in and they haven't been the same since.
They did, until Toews went down, Havlat forgot how to score goals (he's scored in exactly 4 games all year), Khabibulin forgot how to win games (tonight was his first win since December) and the Hawks went 4-10 in January. Losing to Los Angles 9-2 was basically the beginning of the end, that's the game they lost Toews in and they haven't been the same since.
Williams and Adams' injuries hurt also. They are the type of players that were supposed to keep a young team from going on losing streaks. Sopel was injured for a while there also. I know it sounds bad, but I don't want the Hawks to get Stamkos, too many young guys already.
Williams and Adams' injuries hurt also. They are the type of players that were supposed to keep a young team from going on losing streaks. Sopel was injured for a while there also. I know it sounds bad, but I don't want the Hawks to get Stamkos, too many young guys already.
If the Hawks ended up with the #1 overall, they'd be foolish not to trade down a couple spots for an extra pick and take one of the defensemen. If they end up drafting #2 or #3 I'd expect them to take Doughty or Pietrangelo.

Current race...1. Los Angeles Kings 25%2. Tampa Bay Lightning 18.8%3. Toronto Maple Leafs 14.2%4. Chicago Blackhawks 10.7%5. New York Islanders 8.1%

Current race...1. Los Angeles Kings 25%2. Tampa Bay Lightning 18.8%3. Toronto Maple Leafs 14.2%4. Chicago Blackhawks 10.7%5. New York Islanders 8.1%
That adds up to 76.8 -- the remaining 24% either all goes to LA or is split evenly...
  • 8 months later...

Proven that another one of Dale's prospects are overhyped stiffs..Back to junior you will soon go....Keep pinning your hopes on DRAFT PICKS...big success you will be...

I think Serge's hockey forum posts really illustrate why poker is such a profitable game for people who understand it. People get so rilled up over the short term swings, and somehow convince themselves that something happens 5 games into the season, that it's how the long-term will fall, so they trick themselves into thinking they are long term winners. Heh.

I think Serge's hockey forum posts really illustrate why poker is such a profitable game for people who understand it. People get so rilled up over the short term swings, and somehow convince themselves that something happens 5 games into the season, that it's how the long-term will fall, so they trick themselves into thinking they are long term winners. Heh.
ya ok...you are way off...Stamkos was hyped as the rookie of the year by all of the media.. He has done nothing so far averaging about 9 minutes a game...I dont think its a huge assesment that he will not be the impact player that he has been touted, especially NOT YET.To take your argument further..Poker is profitable because you have to think outside the box and go against what the masses think is the right thing and they have been telling you to do..Just because Gruven said Stamkos is rookie of the year and the Leafs will finish last , doesnt mean it will happen.
I wasn't referring to solely this post.
So far everything I have is coming true....And my predictions, are conventional.
That's exactly my point.
i misspoke..My predictions ARENT conventional...I am probably biased about the Leafs, I agree totally. However if you step back and analyze the Pittsburgh Penguins, you would see that they are an ok team, that should struggle to make the playoffs..If they get shoddy goaltending, which has been the opposite so far, they will challenge for the lottery.It has been proven that teams that are top heavy offensively havent done well in recent years.Check the Senators of last year who probably had the best top three forwards as a group and the Tampa Bay lightning led my vinny,Stlouis and richards.Defence and depth wins championships. Last year the Penguins were far deeper and far better defensively.
i misspoke..My predictions ARENT conventional...I am probably biased about the Leafs, I agree totally. However if you step back and analyze the Pittsburgh Penguins, you would see that they are an ok team, that should struggle to make the playoffs..If they get shoddy goaltending, which has been the opposite so far, they will challenge for the lottery.It has been proven that teams that are top heavy offensively havent done well in recent years.Check the Senators of last year who probably had the best top three forwards as a group and the Tampa Bay lightning led my vinny,Stlouis and richards.Defence and depth wins championships. Last year the Penguins were far deeper and far better defensively.
I didn't mean your anything about convention. I merely mean that it's ridiculous for you to analyze things as if they are final when we are only 5 games into the season. Look at what the Pens record was last year at this time, or even deeper into the season. There's short term variance in hockey as well.I don't disagree that the Pens aren't as good as the Cup finals team last year, that's obvious, but it takes time for new guys to start to play well together, and it takes time for injured players to return, etc.I also don't disagree with the Sens and Bolts analysis, but they had major leaks elsewhere in their teams. The Lightning had nobody else at all, literally. The Pens have filled all their holes with capable players, and except for the injuries, their defense is quite good. Even with the injuries, they have the depth to still have Sydor be a healthy scratch, etc. I just think it's too premature to compare them to either of those teams. The Sens had serious team issues with Emery, and Spezza, while he can score, is a friggen turnover machine who doesn't play defense.This is why the season is 82 games, not 5.
I didn't mean your anything about convention. I merely mean that it's ridiculous for you to analyze things as if they are final when we are only 5 games into the season. Look at what the Pens record was last year at this time, or even deeper into the season. There's short term variance in hockey as well.I don't disagree that the Pens aren't as good as the Cup finals team last year, that's obvious, but it takes time for new guys to start to play well together, and it takes time for injured players to return, etc.I also don't disagree with the Sens and Bolts analysis, but they had major leaks elsewhere in their teams. The Lightning had nobody else at all, literally. The Pens have filled all their holes with capable players, and except for the injuries, their defense is quite good. Even with the injuries, they have the depth to still have Sydor be a healthy scratch, etc. I just think it's too premature to compare them to either of those teams. The Sens had serious team issues with Emery, and Spezza, while he can score, is a friggen turnover machine who doesn't play defense.This is why the season is 82 games, not 5.
fair enough...but can i still gloat when the Leafs beat the Pens on Saturday? :club:
No, Serge is always right on these... remember when Simon Gamache was the next Wayne Gretzky?
No, Serge is always right on these... remember when Simon Gamache was the next Wayne Gretzky?
show me where I said that...by the way there is one spot left on my final prop bet of the year..Leafs bottom half of GAA, scared?