Donked On The Turn...raise Or Call?

Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.505 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $48Hero: $75.55Button: $5.60SB: $42.50BB: $57.15Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with T :D T :DUTG raises to $2, Hero calls, 3 folds.Flop: 6 :) 3 :club: 8 :) ($4.75, 2 players)UTG bets $3, Hero raises to $8, UTG calls.Turn: 2 :D ($20.75, 2 players)UTG bets $4, Hero calls.River: 4 :) ($28.75, 2 players)UTG bets $5, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $38.75part of me feels like his bets on the turn and river are defensive bets, to slow me down....another part of me feels like it could be a hand like JJ thats scared of AA or KKprobalby should keep raising, right?

I'm not raising here.I'd raise with KK and AA, probably QQ.Maybe sometimes with TT, but it looks like you can get to showdown cheaply here, and there aren't really any draws for a guy who raised PF to have here, so I kinda want to get to showdown cheaply.Small pot for a small hand, sort of approach.- Zach

I'm not raising here.I'd raise with KK and AA, probably QQ.Maybe sometimes with TT, but it looks like you can get to showdown cheaply here, and there aren't really any draws for a guy who raised PF to have here, so I kinda want to get to showdown cheaply.Small pot for a small hand, sort of approach.- Zach
yeah, that was my thinking, i didnt wanna play a huge pot with just TT. I just wanna make sure im not losing much value by just calling down here. I also dont want to let some idiot playing AK this way to "bully" me into letting him hit his card.
yeah, that was my thinking, i didnt wanna play a huge pot with just TT. I just wanna make sure im not losing much value by just calling down here. I also dont want to let some idiot playing AK this way to "bully" me into letting him hit his card.
I was concerned about AK, but that's a really retarded way to play that hand, and if he has that, then make a note, I guess...

First of all, in 5-max, I'm pretty sure you need to be re-raising with TT pre-flop. Beyond that, if the villain has 2-pair or better, then he's not very good. I'd raise at least once more (take your pick of the turn or river -- I'd probably go with the turn). It would not surprise me at all to see villain turn over A8 here (making weak defensive bets hoping to see a cheap showdown himself).And to Zach, in 5-max, A8 is a raising hand, so villain doesn't need to be on a draw here.

And to Zach, in 5-max, A8 is a raising hand, so villain doesn't need to be on a draw here.
Defintely disregarded the fact that it was 5-max. I just assumed full ring.Btw, I 3-bet TT in full ring anyways...lol
Against the right players I could see it, but, youch, I just don't see how that's a good thing long term in the general case.
Yeah well, not always, but in position, against the right players, yeah, and depending where the raise comes from, ie CO when I'm button.I can remember it costing me a but when I ran into JJ, though.With TT, I've got it 58 times since starting NL, only twice have I cold called preflop with it, and I average 2.0 PTBB/hand. Of course, my sample is small, so I have no idea. It's been working for me so far, so who knows.I actually 3-bet 99 sometimes, although quite rarely, and I was considering posting a hand with that, and now that this comes up, I think I will.- Zach
Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.505 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $48Hero: $75.55Button: $5.60SB: $42.50BB: $57.15Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with T :D T :DUTG raises to $2, Hero calls, 3 folds.Flop: 6 :) 3 :club: 8 :) ($4.75, 2 players)UTG bets $3, Hero raises to $8, UTG calls.Turn: 2 :D ($20.75, 2 players)UTG bets $4, Hero calls.River: 4 :) ($28.75, 2 players)UTG bets $5, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $38.75part of me feels like his bets on the turn and river are defensive bets, to slow me down....another part of me feels like it could be a hand like JJ thats scared of AA or KKprobalby should keep raising, right?
Before I read discussion....I would throw in another bet on the turn. If he 3-bets that...I would consider folding.If he donks the river, just call.Why you ask?You just indicated you like your hand, JJ+ or a set will not slow down on the flop unless they think they can get more value by c/r'ing the turn. I think you're ahead here. He can call your flop raise with a wider range than you think...ps. pf is fine
With TT, I've got it 58 times since starting NL, only twice have I cold called preflop with it, and I average 2.0 PTBB/hand. Of course, my sample is small, so I have no idea. It's been working for me so far, so who knows.
Well, I can see a re-raise (2-bet) with it some portion of the time. It's the 3-bet that throws me. You generally only see a re-raise with pretty decent hands, so I'd normally expect a 3-bet to be AA or KK (maybe QQ from a loose player). I'm really surprised you haven't run into an AA or KK that's spoiled your fun. I know that if I ever saw somebody showdown TT after 3-betting it pre-flop, they'd instantly be added to my "buddy" list.Out of those 58 times, how many times have you 3-bet? And, of those, how many times did you win?
Well, I can see a re-raise (2-bet) with it some portion of the time. It's the 3-bet that throws me. You generally only see a re-raise with pretty decent hands, so I'd normally expect a 3-bet to be AA or KK (maybe QQ from a loose player). I'm really surprised you haven't run into an AA or KK that's spoiled your fun. I know that if I ever saw somebody showdown TT after 3-betting it pre-flop, they'd instantly be added to my "buddy" list.Out of those 58 times, how many times have you 3-bet? And, of those, how many times did you win?
I think we may be confused here.I'm thinking 3-bet as the re-raise, like it's defined in LHE, since those are my roots. If I'm way off, let me know :club:
I think we may be confused here.I'm thinking 3-bet as the re-raise, like it's defined in LHE, since those are my roots. If I'm way off, let me know :club:
Maybe I'm the one that's confused. I'm so used to people saying "put in the 3rd raise" that I associate it with "3-bet", but that may technically be wrong. In any event, I think we are on the same page now. Raising the original raiser with TT isn't that bad. I wouldn't make it my default play, but it's good from time to time. Note, I'm talking about full ring here. In 5/6-max, I think TT is pretty much always a re-raise.
Maybe I'm the one that's confused. I'm so used to people saying "put in the 3rd raise" that I associate it with "3-bet", but that may technically be wrong. In any event, I think we are on the same page now. Raising the original raiser with TT isn't that bad. I wouldn't make it my default play, but it's good from time to time. Note, I'm talking about full ring here. In 5/6-max, I think TT is pretty much always a re-raise.
Ok, we're cool.