Kojax On The Come

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Preflop: econ_tim is UTG with Jheart.gif, Kclub.gif. econ_tim raises, 1 fold, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.Flop: (6.40 SB) 4club.gif, Jdiamond.gif, Aclub.gif(3 players)BB checks, econ_tim bets, Button calls, BB folds.Turn: (4.20 BB) Theart.gif(2 players)econ_tim bets, Button raises, econ_tim calls.River: (8.20 BB) Jspade.gif(2 players)econ_tim . . .villain is loose passive who found some inspiration. his vp$ip is in the 80s, but looks like he has a hand on the turn. still, I have Q outs and maybe J and K outs.

I don't like the way you played this hand:1) I prefer checking that flop, but betting isn't a bad play.2) That turn card is horrible for you. I would check again and call on the turn.3) If I did play the hand the way that you did, I would go ahead and bet the river rather than check-raise. I think check-raising will cost you an extra bet a lot of the time unless you plan on folding to a re-raise. If you bet out and get raised it will cost you two beats when you are beat. If you check-raise that will cost you either two bets and not knowing if you got bluffed, or three bets. If you go for the check-raise, your opponent may check a lot of hands that he would have called you with, a la A-10 or something like that.

daniel, thanks for the feedbacki wouldn't mind checking this flop if i was sure button would bet. he was really passive though, and i was afraid of giving a free card to something like 9 :club: T :D .but i think even this guy will bet when checked to on the turn since the T probably gave him a hand (or at least a decent draw) if he didn't have one already.good point about the river, because if i check/raise i can't give this guy enough credit to fold to a 3-bet, so it could get expensive.

I don't like the way you played this hand:1) I prefer checking that flop, but betting isn't a bad play.2) That turn card is horrible for you. I would check again and call on the turn.3) If I did play the hand the way that you did, I would go ahead and bet the river rather than check-raise. I think check-raising will cost you an extra bet a lot of the time unless you plan on folding to a re-raise. If you bet out and get raised it will cost you two beats when you are beat. If you check-raise that will cost you either two bets and not knowing if you got bluffed, or three bets. If you go for the check-raise, your opponent may check a lot of hands that he would have called you with, a la A-10 or something like that.
Hey Daniel,I agree completely with your third point, but I have a few questions/comments regarding the other 2.1) Why do you prefer a check on this flop? What would be your plan for the rest of the hand? And are there any circumstances or opponents where you would like a bet2) I agree that check/calling is the best play on the turn if our opponent is not a calling station. Betting just puts us in a horrible situation where we get almost no value from weaker hands, yet get put in a tough spot when he raises. What would your plan be on the river if it blanked?Thanks.
  • 2 weeks later...

If you think that the large majority of the times he raises the river is with hands that you beat, you're probably better off check/calling than bet/calling.From the way you described him, he doesnt sound like the brightest person - and i think that it's highly probable that he bets the river with a counterfited two pair anyways. Or you could try the check/raise/pull out the network cable line.I also dont understand why we'd want to check the flop.If the loose/passive bets, you cant fold for one bet - but dealing with a blank turn is difficult if he bets. Even loose/passives get bold when they're shown obvious weakness. If the button checks behind and the other guy bets out on a blank turn, do we raise/fold and take a free showdown?