The Pet Info Thread

It was offered up to me that this should be another "Ask Speedz" thread, but I'm not a selfish man. I also know that there are many questions that other people will be able to answer better than I can. For the record, I am not a vet and will not be a vet for what feels like many years...but I do own a stethoscope, so have some goddamn respect, will you? I feel like that's not too much to ask, since I'm only trying to help. Fine, you know what, forget it. I knew I couldn't trust you guys to take this seriously.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

It was offered up to me that this should be another "Ask Speedz" thread, but I'm not a selfish man. I also know that there are many questions that other people will be able to answer better than I can. For the record, I am not a vet and will not be a vet for what feels like many years...but I do own a stethoscope, so have some goddamn respect, will you? I feel like that's not too much to ask, since I'm only trying to help. Fine, you know what, forget it. I knew I couldn't trust you guys to take this seriously.
Quality post, truly A + Material.I expect this thread to go places.

Dear Petinfo2,You don’t really need to cut a dog’s nails, right? Just give him a scratching post or something?Respectfully Yours,JJJp.s. This is an incredibly practical thread and whoever gave you this idea should be commended.

So my German Shephard, the one who doesn't have arthritis btw ( good call there, but I might have it so ...hmm)Anyway my German Shephard hasn't been eating for the last 3 days. When I feed him he gets excited, takes a couple bites, then he kind of paces and ignores the food. When I gave him a biscuit treat which he loves and usaully grinds away immediately on, he might take a bite or two, but will end up with a piece in his mouth hanging out that he then paces with while the salivia drips from his mouth.I have palpated his throat and stomach and gotten no reactions. In fact once when he had a treat inside his mouth but wouldn't swallow, I was able to rub his throat to make him swallow it. He was fine after he swallowed this.Other than that he seems to be fine.Standard fees apply?

Dear Petinfo2,You don’t really need to cut a dog’s nails, right? Just give him a scratching post or something?Respectfully Yours,JJJp.s. This is an incredibly practical thread and whoever gave you this idea should be commended.
Ok I have an honest question about this. We basically almost never cut our dogs' nails because I am afraid I am cutting flesh off their feet... the nails are totally black and there is no way whatsoever to tell where the nail ends and the quick begins. How the hell are you supposed to do this??
Ok I have an honest question about this. We basically almost never cut our dogs' nails because I am afraid I am cutting flesh off their feet... the nails are totally black and there is no way whatsoever to tell where the nail ends and the quick begins. How the hell are you supposed to do this??
If only there was a place..you know a place that groomed animals.that might be a good business idea.COME ON PEOPLE. SPEEDZ IS ALMOST A VET, LETS NOT WASTE HIS TIME HE COULD BE SPENDING WITH HIS PARENTS!Oh and no dieffenbachia plants in the house.
pedi-paws-img-1.jpghttp://www.pedipaws.com/?directLoad&ui...ampaignID=14434
If only there was a place..you know a place that groomed animals.that might be a good business idea.COME ON PEOPLE. SPEEDZ IS ALMOST A VET, LETS NOT WASTE HIS TIME HE COULD BE SPENDING WITH HIS PARENTS!Oh and no diefenbachia plants in the house.
Groomers have absolutely no idea to do with my animals, given their unusual hair situation. So I guess I could take them in just to get their nails cut, but, I don't.
Groomers have absolutely no idea to do with my animals, given their unusual hair situation. So I guess I could take them in just to get their nails cut, but, I don't.
Should have known even your dogs would be hippies.Anyway easy answer to your problem...sand paper carpet
Dear Petinfo2,You don’t really need to cut a dog’s nails, right? Just give him a scratching post or something?Respectfully Yours,JJJ
By 'dog' do you mean 'cat'? Or was this just an excuse to get me to thank you for the thread idea? Because I'm not going to do that, or even acknowledge that it was your idea.
Anyway my German Shephard hasn't been eating for the last 3 days. When I feed him he gets excited, takes a couple bites, then he kind of paces and ignores the food. When I gave him a biscuit treat which he loves and usaully grinds away immediately on, he might take a bite or two, but will end up with a piece in his mouth hanging out that he then paces with while the salivia drips from his mouth.I have palpated his throat and stomach and gotten no reactions. In fact once when he had a treat inside his mouth but wouldn't swallow, I was able to rub his throat to make him swallow it. He was fine after he swallowed this.Other than that he seems to be fine.Standard fees apply?
Something hurts...do you usually feed him dry food? Try adding water until it's soft and mooshy, or just pick up some wet food. If he's able to take that down without a problem you'll know it's an oral issue (more likely to be dental than some kind of mass). If he still won't eat it's most likely something with his stomach, and you could try giving him some pepto. Either way, if it doesn't get better within a day or two you should really bring him in. If he hasn't been drinking water either for the past 3 days you should actually bring him in as soon as possible.No fee, but put in a good word for me with God.

A seperate issue.I have a guinea pig from my kids. I hate this guinea pig. So as soon as G-Force comes out I plan on taking this stupid guinea pig to see the movie then taunt him with his inablity to slide down ropes and parachute into harms way. How close do I need to be to the screen since the 3D glasses won't fit the stupid guinea pigs head?Or should I just wait for blu-ray?

Something hurts...do you usually feed him dry food? Try adding water until it's soft and mooshy, or just pick up some wet food. If he's able to take that down without a problem you'll know it's an oral issue (more likely to be dental than some kind of mass). If he still won't eat it's most likely something with his stomach, and you could try giving him some pepto. Either way, if it doesn't get better within a day or two you should really bring him in. If he hasn't been drinking water either for the past 3 days you should actually bring him in as soon as possible.No fee, but put in a good word for me with God.
I was thinking tooth also, he won't let me explore his mouth, but he's always been a little funny about that stuff. Also his salivia is like slippyer than 3 in one oil, if that matters.I mix a half can of wet food with his dry Nutro food because he's spoiled already. I will try pure wet food today, then if nothing, I will go to vet.He seems to drink okay, he's got enough moisture to drool all over the tile floor which is now slicker than Bill Clinton's excuse book.I will pay up tonight
That's always tough, even for people that do it every day. There's no easy answer...you just take a little off until you can see a small circle in the middle of the nail, which means the quick is getting close. One thing you can do is just take off the hooked part of the nail...if you look under it you can kind of see where the straight nail ends and it starts to curve. I do recommend at least trying to cut them, since the quick grows along with the nail. The longer you let it go, the harder they'll be to trim. And the first few times you do it only take a tiny bit off and give them plenty of treats so it'll be a good experience. Do that once a week or so until they're comfortable enough to let you start to really shave some off.
A seperate issue.I have a guinea pig from my kids. I hate this guinea pig. So as soon as G-Force comes out I plan on taking this stupid guinea pig to see the movie then taunt him with his inablity to slide down ropes and parachute into harms way. How close do I need to be to the screen since the 3D glasses won't fit the stupid guinea pigs head?Or should I just wait for blu-ray?
I'm sorry, did you not notice that in the title of this thread I specifically proclaim it to be "serious business"?
I'm sorry, did you not notice that in the title of this thread I specifically proclaim it to be "serious business"?
I seriously hate this guinea pig,

Thanks for this thread. Our oldest cat is about 14, so I might be using it soon.Cats are probably easier to trim than dogs, because cats don't have the black nails, but we've been doing our cats since kittenhood, and once an animal is used to it, they put up with it with incredible patience. When ours get flipped on their backs in our laps and the clippers come out, they totally just relax and chill until it's over.

Thanks for this thread. Our oldest cat is about 14, so I might be using it soon.Cats are probably easier to trim than dogs, because cats don't have the black nails, but we've been doing our cats since kittenhood, and once an animal is used to it, they put up with it with incredible patience. When ours get flipped on their backs in our laps and the clippers come out, they totally just relax and chill until it's over.
Can't you just declaw them? Why wouldn't you do that?
I seriously hate this guinea pig,
During the movie, stand up, yell, "Incoming!" and throw the guinea pig at the screen. It will land and immediately scamper off into the arms of some delighted five-year-old, while you make your escape before the kid's parents can find you. Everybody wins.
I can't tell if this is a joke.
You're the pitcher on the mound who threw the ball and is now looking around trying to figure out what happened...don't be that guy
Can't you just declaw them? Why wouldn't you do that?
You're welcome to deride this as rampant liberalism, but declawing a cat is pretty much the same as amputating your own fingertips back to the first knuckle, because you've decided you're too lazy to trim your nails. In Britain, most vets refuse to declaw, on the grounds that it's mutilating a cat for the laziness of the owner. I don't know about American vets, because we've never asked, but I would hope that they're at least beginning to have the same attitude here.If you can't be bothered to clip a cat's nails, you really have no business owning a pet at all.Although ours are 100% indoor cats, there is always the argument, too, that should they get outside they need the claws for protection and should they get lost, they need them to get their own food.

Okay, probably a joke, and I'm way too literal-minded.Question, though, for Speedz: our old cat purrs all the time. If she's conscious, she's purring. Is that normal?

Question, though, for Speedz: our old cat purrs all the time. If she's conscious, she's purring. Is that normal?
It's not really normal, no, but I doubt it's anything to worry about...I've never heard of that being a symptom of a medical problem. She's probably a bit senile.