Do any of you have a job that allows you to play at work? I see a lot of posts about playing in a tournament during regular business hours, and I figure it can't all be college kids or pros. Do any of you working stiffs manage to fit in some poker on the job?I work in a warehouse, and I'm the only one in the building. I'm not very busy at all. I got really lucky to land this slackers job. I would play poker, but I don't know if my computer is being monitored or what. I'm too nervous to risk my cushy job for a little poker, but I thought some of you may be able to enlighten me. Plus I'm just curious if anybody else has a job like mine where you just sit around all day. REACT TO ME!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am sure it probably seems like it sometimes based on my posts, I actually am pretty busy at work most of the time. I am just a savage multitasker and need to be doing multiple things at once, so one of those things is hanging out on FCP and posting occassionally. My other things for today including reviewing the Miss World photgraphs, and playing Guess the Google. :PRay

Although I am sure it probably seems like it sometimes based on my posts, I actually am pretty busy at work most of the time. I am just a savage multitasker and need to be doing multiple things at once, so one of those things is hanging out on FCP and posting occassionally.  My other things for today including reviewing the Miss World photgraphs, and playing Guess the Google. :PRay
What's this "Guess the Google" game you speak of? I'm intrigued.
I play at work often enough.  I work at a law firm.  I usually just play during my lunch break but sometimes I will turn it on when it is slow.
Are you connected to a network? Gambling sites are not blocked on my computer, but I'm afraid that if I download Stars company tech guys will bust down my door and smash my computer.
I play at work often enough.  I work at a law firm.  I usually just play during my lunch break but sometimes I will turn it on when it is slow.
Are you connected to a network? Gambling sites are not blocked on my computer, but I'm afraid that if I download Stars company tech guys will bust down my door and smash my computer.
Also depends on if you're behind a proxy server, which sucks, and I am...still not worth the risk, though. A steady income has its benefits.
Also depends on if you're behind a proxy server, which sucks, and I am...still not worth the risk, though. A steady income has its benefits.
I don't know what a proxy server is. I'm a total internet donk. I connect through a remote VPN for whatever that's worth. Enlighten me por favor.
Although I am sure it probably seems like it sometimes based on my posts, I actually am pretty busy at work most of the time. I am just a savage multitasker and need to be doing multiple things at once, so one of those things is hanging out on FCP and posting occassionally.  My other things for today including reviewing the Miss World photgraphs, and playing Guess the Google. :PRay
http://www.weavedigital.com/guess-the-google/?l=1Ray
dont know. I dont make any effort to hide what I am doing though. lunch is my time. if someone wants to give me a hard time about it thats fine....I dont like this job much anyways and I quit in 3 months for law school.
http://www.weavedigital.com/guess-the-google/?l=1Ray
That's fun. I suck so far, but I can tell I will be addicted soon. Thanks for helping me pass the long, boring work day.

The only other thing I can come up with, and I'm not sure how it works or if IS could detect it, would be to remote access your PC at home. That way, you wouldn't have to download the app to your work PC and that could possibly get around any network sniffers to see what you're doing. I think it involves allowing permissions though from your home PC (IP addy's and such) and I just realized after typing all this that I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about but rather regurgitating what my brother-in-law tried to explain to me drunk one night....

turd,Get a usb flash drive. Copy the stars folder on your C: drive at home onto this drive. Then plug it into one of your usb ports at work. Then you can run pokerstars from your flash drive at work.-Guinevar
Are those the little sticks you can get for like $10 at circuit city?
turd,Get a usb flash drive. Copy the stars folder on your C: drive at home onto this drive. Then plug it into one of your usb ports at work. Then you can run pokerstars from your flash drive at work.-Guinevar
Are those the little sticks you can get for like $10 at circuit city?
Yes.
Would Stars (or whichever program) then run directly off the flash drive without having to install to the work computer?
Would Stars (or whichever program) then run directly off the flash drive without having to install to the work computer?
Yes.
Yes.
I think I love you.
Yes.
I would still have to connect to the internet through my network to use it though right? Would they not be able to detect it?
Yes.
I would still have to connect to the internet through my network to use it though right? Would they not be able to detect it?
I make no guarantees. I know some very smart IT people that could catch you if they wanted to. It depends on how secure your network is set up. Yes, you'll need to use the internet to connect to the cardroom and the internet you'll be using is your company's. I recommend finding your employee handbook for the company and checking for a clause concerning gambling at the job. If it is mentioned, you're probably going to want to stay away from poker cardrooms at work as your IT people might be smart enough to look for it.Generally, it's best to do work at work. That way you get promotions, do a good job, whatnot, but the USB flash drive is the best way to go about the type of operation you are describing.
Yes.
I make no guarantees. I know some very smart IT people that could catch you if they wanted to. It depends on how secure your network is set up. Yes, you'll need to use the internet to connect to the cardroom and the internet you'll be using is your company's. I recommend finding your employee handbook for the company and checking for a clause concerning gambling at the job. If it is mentioned, you're probably going to want to stay away from poker cardrooms at work as your IT people might be smart enough to look for it.Generally, it's best to do work at work. That way you get promotions, do a good job, whatnot, but the USB flash drive is the best way to go about the type of operation you are describing.
I appreciate the advice. Just out of curiousity, do you subscribe to this method?