is it really the world series ?

The title " world series " is a very bold title I feel.Does anyone else agree that the wsop is becoming to ridiculous. I mean 6600 players in the main event ???I think in order to be the " real " world series, the buy-in should be about half a million. Now you would probably only have a few hundred players give or take a few, which would be the best of the best.The final table of the main event would most likely be the most exciting poker to ever watch. I mean imagine a 500 000 buy-in tourney, say 150 entries and the final table looking like this:- Phil Ivey- DN- Johnny Chan- Doyle Brunson- Barry Greenstein- T.J Cloutier- Phil Hellmuth- Chris Ferguson- John JuandaAdd your own high stakes professionals in there, but i mean this to me would be the true WSOP.Sure, it shatters alot of our dreams. But isn't sad that someone who's name rhyme's with " funnyfaker " can win a seat to the WORLD SERIES by playing a $40 online tournament, never play live poker in his life, and take home 2.5 m ??my 2 cents..

I don't know that a 500k buy-in would bring only the best of the best. It would definately bring the richest though. And definately talented poker players who make the tournament better by playing in it but who, for whatever reason, aren't millionaire poker players would be noticably absent. Then they're is the whole idea of sponsorship, etc...do you really want a poker table looking like a Nascar event? The bigger the buy-in, the more corporate America will control the WSOP and the less it will be about the poker.Poker truly is an every man's game and I think it's greatest championship should be contested by every man. That's not to say that whoever wins the main event can undeniably be called the best poker player in the world or that the tournament couldn't be improved but I definately don't think a bigger buy-in is the answer.

I don't think you would get very many pros at all. WHy would they want to play in a big buy in tournament where they'd be facing the only players in the world as good as they are? and hey the more people that can get in the tournament, the more it deserves to be called a World Series. There are some really good poker players who can't afford the 10k buy in for whatever reasons. If they couldn't have some way to get a spot in the tourney then it'd be just another 10k buy in tournament.

Firstly, it will probably end up being more like 10,000 ppl. Secondly, the term World Series is more true in this instance than it is in most other events that carry that title (Basketball, Baseball etc...) where they claim to have a world champion. I think the low buyin and the fact that players do come from all over the world make the title very true.

(Basketball, Baseball etc...)
Just being nit-picky...baseball is the only one that says its a world anything. Basketball has the NBA championship.

Hello everyone. My first post.I have a suggestion. Instead of making money the determining factor to enter the WSOP why not make it skill? Only those who win certain satellite tournaments may enter the WSOP event. Of course there should be something like 500-600 satellite tournaments and if you win one satellite you can't win another. In this way you would have the most skilled group of tournamment poker players. You could even make it so that anyone who has won a certain amount of money in a NL holdem tournament within the last year to enter the WSOP with a $10,000 buy-in.Just my 2 cents

jerk0ff
Why is it every time i try to start a discussion about something on this forum you get a**hole responses ?Thanks for the other reply's...i agree with most of the points brought up....just wanted to start a common discussion without all the verbal abuse like all the post's on this forum..
jerk0ff
Why is it every time i try to start a discussion about something on this forum you get a**hole responses ?Thanks for the other reply's...i agree with most of the points brought up....just wanted to start a common discussion without all the verbal abuse like all the post's on this forum..
The verbal abuse is pretty much intrinsic to the fourm, sorry to say.On a brighter note, I don't think Ron ever has anything constructive to say so I wouldn't worry too much when he says something like that...or anything for that matter.

The Galaxy Series of Poker runs in October on Jupiter. The main event is 9 card Mars wadawada. The deck has no aces, 8 suits, and cards rank 1,2,3...19,X,Y,Z,ZZ. There aren't nearly as many suckouts w/ a Jupiter deck. Hope that now you can relax and stop overthinking about our insignificant World Series.

here you want that final table you'll have to wait but if you want to seechau gianghoward ledererbarry greensteinSteve Zolotow Chris ferguson http://tinyurl.com/4mmcf click that it's the kansas city lowball tournament final table ESPN was planning on showing it but then decided to show a crappy no limit event the point of the gameis to get the worst possible hand 2-7 and aces count high with one draw

(Basketball, Baseball etc...)
Just being nit-picky...baseball is the only one that says its a world anything. Basketball has the NBA championship.
I thought about this. I guess I should have clarified that the others claim themselves to be world champions, while they don't even allow teams from other countries to compete (with the exception of Canada)
i think they capped the number of entries at 6600, although there is a pretty good chance they would get near 10,000 without a limit
I have posted this in other threads as well. During the early days of the WSOP when I was playing this year the dealers were telling us that they had already had meetings where they were asked to stay longer and that the limit would probably be raised to 10K or more and that there would be more "first days" essentially extending the event out.With 10K ppl, that would make for 5 first days and 2 second days then they would get everyone playing on the same day.

I gotta tell you, I think Ice has it right on the head. The tournament should only be entered by those who qualify through satellietes. This reduces the number of rich people with no skill, although they can enter satellites as often as they want, and I think this would cretae some competition among the pros as well. Can you imagine someone like Hellmuth losing 5 or 6 satellites and starting to sweat over not qualifying? That makes good tv.I realize this will never happen because of Binion tradition, but I think it would raise the level of play in the main event.

why not just have a vote to see who wins the main event? that would be much better.its poker, the whole point of the world series is average joe can go there, put down his $10k (or qualify through party poker) and play with the big boys, and if he gets lucky go really far. i dont know what the attraction with all these great pros playing on the final table is anyway, its not like the ToC was on an amazingly high level compared to any other WSOP/WPT final table

The title " world series " is a very bold title I feel.Does anyone else agree that the wsop is becoming to ridiculous. I mean 6600 players in the main event ???I think in order to be the " real " world series, the buy-in should be about half a million. Now you would probably only have a few hundred players give or take a few, which would be the best of the best.The final table of the main event would most likely be the most exciting poker to ever watch. I mean imagine a 500 000 buy-in tourney, say 150 entries and the final table looking like this:- Phil Ivey- DN- Johnny Chan- Doyle Brunson- Barry Greenstein- T.J Cloutier- Phil Hellmuth- Chris Ferguson- John JuandaAdd your own high stakes professionals in there, but i mean this to me would be the true WSOP.Sure, it shatters alot of our dreams. But isn't sad that someone who's name rhyme's with " funnyfaker " can win a seat to the WORLD SERIES by playing a $40 online tournament, never play live poker in his life, and take home 2.5 m ??my 2 cents..
I think in order to be a real "world' series, you would need to see more international stars, Like a Ryder Cup styleI think Devil Fish, and Carlos Mortensen should be among these guys
i think they capped the number of entries at 6600, although there is a pretty good chance they would get near 10,000 without a limit
I have posted this in other threads as well. During the early days of the WSOP when I was playing this year the dealers were telling us that they had already had meetings where they were asked to stay longer and that the limit would probably be raised to 10K or more and that there would be more "first days" essentially extending the event out.With 10K ppl, that would make for 5 first days and 2 second days then they would get everyone playing on the same day.
In response to this rumor on RGP (posted by FellKnight, who also heard it from dealers) tournament director John Grooms posted and said it was just a rumor, and that cap of 6600 had not been lifted. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen though; I'd think it's a decision they will make when they reach the 6600 mark. Patrick

I am not advocating that the WSOP be played by all "Pros" I am simply suggesting a way in which to limit the field to those whose skills are at least at a certain "minimum level". Even in baseball, only major league teams are allowed to compete to play in the World Series. If the numbers are kept to say about 800 players of which 100-150 are "Pros" and about 650-700 fairly skilled-to very skilled players the Tourney would beA) very competitive and played at an extremely high levelB) involve more skill than luck (You need a lot more luck under the current format to win the title).

because $500k buy-in is a jerk0ff statement. Semajoss55 or whatever it is, I have made at least 4 productive, insightful posts. You just missed them. I'll go for number five right now.$500k wouldn't make it available to everyone and in order for it to be a true world series, anyone should be able to play. This tournament actually would have to considered the purest form of competition. Anyone with 10k can play and win. Just like the U.S Open in golf, anyone can qualify and go play the best, you just have to bring your A game.It is open to anyone in the world, thus making it A true world series.jerk0ffs

I think it's going to take some time for poker and its growing pains before a more solid format is found. There will be a change because I think pro players are not going to want to play if it stays the same. Imagine if all the Pistons and Spurs players had to put up $10k to be on tv. On top of that, sponsorship money for pro players is hampered by the no logo rules. With each event's top prize being less than the buy in for Daniel's Challenge matches, motivation for top players is probably not money.Right now, the real big winners are the networks that carry poker on tv. Advertising dollars are rolling in, and they're not really trickling down to anyone else. I suspect if poker's popularity continues to grow as it is (and I think it will), professional poker will be formatted more like pro golf or pro tennis. Some sort of qualifier rounds or bracket system I think.