Swearing In Home Games

First of all, I enjoy my home games greatly. It is a 40-100$ buy in side game. We play this game 3/4 times a week and I enjoy it. But there is one problem, a lot of the guys tend to swear excessively during game play. I have tried countless times to create a rule on swearing but have been unable to convice the other guys. To me, swearing is an unecessary part of poker, and I would like to instill a rule that would end it. Does anybody have a rule in place which penalizes swearing in your homegames?

Ususally if you try to institute this rule amongst friends the friends will either a.) stop coming to the game in protest or b.) stop talking to you altogether. If it really bothers you that much just tell them, If they really are friends they'll respect the fact that you don't like what it does to the game.

WOW!!! My home game instituted this rule and my chat would be banned forever. Hmm.....wonder if they would favor tape over a sock? Would drawing "the bird" be another violation after my chat was banned?

Oddly enough (I know that no one here will believe it !), I am one of the biggest swearers in my homegame. We are all of similar age, mostly all drinking pretty heavily, mostly all will swear on occassion, and most importantly....we know that no one will be offended. The comments are never "directed " at another player or play. It's usually a general "So my f'n car died on me the other day and it's gonna be $500 to fix it" type of comment. I know that this is acceptable behavior with this crowd of people.I do not swear in a situation where I suspect it would not be well received, ie in front of my mother's friends, at a PTA meeting, outside of church, etc.It drives me insane when players swear at my table online. I have no problem with the "Crap, that river card f'd me" type of comments if used sparingly. The angry sore losers who swear while berating another player or his play (usually a fish......don't tap the glass people), really set me off. So if you find yourself at my table and want to tilt me.....curse it up ! Be forwarned that I will report you to support though :club: It also bugs me from the "they don't know me so they shouldn't swear in front of me" perspective. You gotta know your audience. My sister swears in front of me, but if one of her kids ever do they'll be in huge trouble. It's a respect thing.For OP.....if they are mostly good friends, I'd say "Come on guys, you know that I hate that. Quit or I'm leaving." If they are more casual acquaintances, say, "I'm not interested in playing in this type of environment. Do you want me to not play poker with you, will you stop, or can we add a $5 penaltypayment to the pizza/beer fund for each swear?" You do have to consider, if they are all not really close friends of yours, that you may not like their answer. You need to decide if you really want to find another home game. How much of a deal breaker is this for you ?Good luck !And......out of curiousity OP, what age/gender are you ? Are you anti-swearing in all instances ? Or you just feel it goes too far here ?

Depends on the type of swearing. If you're quoting Deadwood, that's one thing. If you're continually hounding some guy because yuo want to **** his mom up the ***, then it's out of line.Moderation is the key. Don't be insulting and don't use it to emphasise how pissed off you are that your buddy sucked out on you. Cursing the cards is one thing. Cursing your friends is another.

First of all, I enjoy my home games greatly. It is a 40-100$ buy in side game. We play this game 3/4 times a week and I enjoy it. But there is one problem, a lot of the guys tend to swear excessively during game play. I have tried countless times to create a rule on swearing but have been unable to convice the other guys. To me, swearing is an unecessary part of poker, and I would like to instill a rule that would end it. Does anybody have a rule in place which penalizes swearing in your homegames?
j/k btw :club:

Curious. Is it swearing while playing cards that bothers you or is it swearing period?If these are your friends then obviously swearing is common place in your peer group. What changes on the felt that suddenly offends you so much in that situation but not at other social gatherings?