Starting Hands

I understand the importance of the strength of starting hands in terms of position, and getting trapped or slow played...But is it just me or as long as your cards are connected other requirements are pretty worthless unless there is a substantial raise, a raise and reraise, or the raise accounts for a large portion of your stack?Alot of people have looked at hand histories and discount the action of the entire hand because they say Fold preflop... Isn't that kind of ridiculous?

I understand the importance of the strength of starting hands in terms of position, and getting trapped or slow played...But is it just me or as long as your cards are connected other requirements are pretty worthless unless there is a substantial raise, a raise and reraise, or the raise accounts for a large portion of your stack?
This all depends on the position of you and your opponents and how they are playing. I recommend reading Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky. It was the first poker book I read and it definitely improved my game on starting hands.
This all depends on the position of you and your opponents and how they are playing. I recommend reading Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky. It was the first poker book I read and it definitely improved my game on starting hands.
hi sir what part of calgary are you in? im in the NW at stoney tr and country hills approx

The biggest reason that every poker book stresses the importance of hand selection, is it's a way to minimize what you'd lose if you sucked postflop.The worse you are postflop, the tighter you should be preflop. Most books are designed for relative newcomers to the game.As you get better, you can expand your range, and start playing more hands in the right situations.There's really no normal situations, or ability level when hand selection can be completely ignored, but you certainly don't have to follow the exact chart you'll find in a book or anything like that.So basically, if you're asking why people stress preflop hand selection, you're not good enough to ignore it.

hi sir what part of calgary are you in? im in the NW at stoney tr and country hills approx
Hey I'm also in the NW area of Scenic Acres and Silver Springs. Good to see other Calgarians around the board.
Starting hands are very important, play tight.
LMFAO, I said the same thing to someone in the chat yesterday when i was dragging a huge pot with 92 suited. :club:
The biggest reason that every poker book stresses the importance of hand selection, is it's a way to minimize what you'd lose if you sucked postflop.The worse you are postflop, the tighter you should be preflop. Most books are designed for relative newcomers to the game.As you get better, you can expand your range, and start playing more hands in the right situations.There's really no normal situations, or ability level when hand selection can be completely ignored, but you certainly don't have to follow the exact chart you'll find in a book or anything like that.So basically, if you're asking why people stress preflop hand selection, you're not good enough to ignore it.
Always play K 5 and 6 4, especially out of position.
........and check your full house to a donkey calling station that will call any bet if he has any part (or under pair) of the board. :club:
You can't call a raise UTG.You can raise UTG or call an UTG raise but you can't call a raise UTG.
What if you limp, then someone else raises............ :club: