Getting Value Out Of This Hand

flopping the nuts is fun.. figuring out how to get more value is where i struggle... PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)SB ($25.10)Hero ($43.65)UTG ($24.65)MP ($15.80)Button ($24.25)Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 :D , 7 :D . 1 fold, MP raises to $1, 1 fold, SB calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.75.Flop: ($3) 5 :club: , 6 :D , 9 :D(3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $1, MP raises to $3, SB calls $3, Hero ?

Hero raises to 9? I don't want it to check around on the turn.

re-raise, in position and heads up I'd probably just call. But SB looks to be on some kind of draw or bad top pair, make him pay. Preflop raiser seems to like his hand and might call off his chips with an overpair. Give him the chance.

I'd probably fold preflop. OOP against the original raiser, who only has $14 more... Ehh, with the SB call it's a little closer. I'm just not as crazy about calling raises with SCs as some people are, especially OOP. I haaate playing OOP.

I'd probably fold preflop. OOP against the original raiser, who only has $14 more... Ehh, with the SB call it's a little closer. I'm just not as crazy about calling raises with SCs as some people are, especially OOP. I haaate playing OOP.
Yeah I agree, I'm not calling there preflop unless I can get 4-5 way action.

In a five handed game, I think folding 7-8 suited from the big blind for a standard sized raise is a mistake whether heads up or three handed. That's not what I wanted to get into though. There are actually two ways to play this hand, but I lean heavily towards re-raising the flop. The key reason is that even if the player in position has an overpair he might not bet the turn. Lots of bad cards could come off to kill your action. I would hope to trap the SB here by making it $8 to go. For only $5 more, you price him into seeing the turn card, that's definitely what you want. The other way to play it is to use a "fake weak lead" on the turn. Just call on the flop and hope the SB bets. If he doesn't, then you could make what appears to be a weak lead where in fact you actually have the nuts. If you bet $5 on the turn your opponents will either think you have a monster or a weakish hand that you are trying to protect. It's a variation play, but it's clearly a much weaker player overall than re-raising the flop.

I like the reraise on the flop too. If the original raiser has something like JJ or TT, there are too many cards that could come to kill your action. (A, K, Q,) I think your going to get the most action by letting him put his chips in on this "safe" board.

The other way to play it is to use a "fake weak lead" on the turn. Just call on the flop and hope the SB bets. If he doesn't, then you could make what appears to be a weak lead where in fact you actually have the nuts. If you bet $5 on the turn your opponents will either think you have a monster or a weakish hand that you are trying to protect. It's a variation play, but it's clearly a much weaker player overall than re-raising the flop.
Just for the record, if I'm ever playing anyone on this message board...this is how you ge the most money out of me. :club:

Couple of things here: First of all yes your out of position, but your getting over 2:1 on your money, having to call .75, into a 2.25 pot, your getting favorable odds to call, the only bad thing is that your OOP. Second, the flop gives you the nuts, and you could very well stack your opponent on this flop if he is holding anything from 10/10-A/A. After he raises you on the flop, I pop him back, and if he re-raises you again, or pushes, then he has already told you what he has, an overpair to the board, or he flopped a set, witch in this case you dominate. I pop him back, if he just calls, then I lead out hard on the turn, if the board doesn't pair up.