Holdem In Local Bars

I am headed to trial tomorrow Jan 26th , for playing a $10.00 game of Texas Holdem...I am amazed by the resources that the local police are puting in to this . 20 Officers involved...I am chared under section 201 (B) of the CCC..Being found in a common gaming house without lawful excuse....They put undercover officers at our $10.00 game !!!! I have decided to go it without a lawyer...just on principal...I did nothing wrong...meanwhile there were several people behind me playing Video Lottery for a lot more money...they are OK..Gov gets a cut of that ...

I am headed to trial tomorrow Jan 26th , for playing a $10.00 game of Texas Holdem...I am amazed by the resources that the local police are puting in to this . 20 Officers involved...I am chared under section 201 (B) of the CCC..Being found in a common gaming house without lawful excuse....They put undercover officers at our $10.00 game !!!! I have decided to go it without a lawyer...just on principal...I did nothing wrong...meanwhile there were several people behind me playing Video Lottery for a lot more money...they are OK..Gov gets a cut of that ...
Are you the proprietor of the bar? Or just a patron? Either way I wish you luck. If you are the proprietor, how does the Liquor Control Commission feel about this. I would assume that that would be the biggest threat of the establishment losing their liquor license. In any case, next time, have a free Texas hold-em tournament and donate the prize fund under the amount allowed by law (most places around $500). The hold-em tournament will be free with the purchase of a $15.00 snack buffet (wings, tacos, etc.) that you lay out for your guests. This way you are collecting a fair retail price for the food, which would cost you approx. $5.00 per person and the remainder would be your donated prize fund!!Good Luck

GET A LAWYER!!!Going into court without a lawyer regardless of the charges is just plain stupid.The judge is a lawyer, the prosecution will have a few lawyers, and the local government is a bunch of lawyers who are being advised by other lawers. Even if it is just a matter of principal, you are seriously outgunned in the legal knowledge department and will get smoked.

There is no point getting a lawyer over a 10 dollar game of poker. Just offer to pay the 2.50 tax or w/e it is in America.

I am chared under section 201 ( of the CCC..Being found in a common gaming house without lawful excuse..He is not in court for taxes. He is charged with an actual crime. Probably the lowest level misdemeanor but it still goes on your record. It will show up on all sorts of things. Background checks at new jobs, applications for gun licenses, etc.

That's craziness. We have cops play in our local game all the time. The bar owner must've pissed in the wrong person's Cheerios.

Very silly to take a stance that you don't need a lawyer because you "did nothing wrong". Apparently your community has decided to treat this seriously, you should too.

haha...Merc, you got SO burned!!but seriously, I'm shocked to hear this in Canada. I've had cops join a game in progress before but never stop one. where was this?

I am chared under section 201 ( of the CCC..Being found in a common gaming house without lawful excuse..He is not in court for taxes. He is charged with an actual crime. Probably the lowest level misdemeanor but it still goes on your record. It will show up on all sorts of things. Background checks at new jobs, applications for gun licenses, etc.
I think you are mistaken. Misdemeanors won't show up on a background check.Plan on probation and a fine, and don't waste your money on a lawyer.

This is a criminal offense...Part VII of the Canadian Criminal Code outlines the laws where they govern gaming, betting, and gambling. Section 201 (only one sub-section)This outlines what the keeper gets for his troubles. The keeper of the disorderly house and everybody found in it can be punished with a maximum sentence of two years. The word of the law does not specify that it would be any more or less severe, comparative to the stakes of the game being played.

Bad move going in without a lawyer. This should not be construed as legal advice, but if I was in that situation, I would see if your local law school has a legal clinic and if you qualify for assistance. Students are supervised by client lawyers and can guide you through the process.If you have no record, you will most likely be pushed out of the system with diversion. You will have no accessable record, but the charge with come up on cop's computer. You may get a few hours of community service.See if you can talk to the Crown assigned to your case. Ask them what they are gunning for and reasonably explain your circumstances (record and commitments, etc). The Crown will help you out as much as they can.Good luck.

I think you are mistaken. Misdemeanors won't show up on a background check.Plan on probation and a fine, and don't waste your money on a lawyer.
I guess it depends on how deep they dig, because mine showed up. I was trying to get security clearance to work for a customer at their main HQ in the finacial district in NYC. I got clearance to work in the building, but was denied the level I needed. During the interview they had the record of my little run in with the law. Either way I would request an adjournment until after the bar has their day in court. If the charges get dropped or lowered against the bar itself, then you could use that leverage to get the charges against you resolved the same way. The bar owner will definitely be represented by a lawyer.
Newfoundland and Labrador
If you were playing in a $10 game (at a bar), what was the prize? Was it a cash prize? Here in Ontario, (I believe) games are allowed providing there isn't a rake taken off the pot.In my opinion, (understanding that "ignorance is not an excuse") I'd put the blame on the bar.I'd say I was at the bar that night and they asked if I wanted to join in a $10 game with the understanding that I was winning a prize at the end (don't say it was cash). Therefore, the bar took total advantage of me by offering me the opportunity to participate in what I believed to be an evening of entertainment but instead was an illegal venue (without my knowledge).Then with a lawyer, you could probably end up sueing the bar for staining your name/reputation/record.Just a guess.

My city has been shutting down local games in pool halls and bars!!! Now really sketchy games are starting up in guys houses and they are charging a crap load of rake