I would prefer to consider this a constructive comment but many would probably think not. I have noticed such an attitude change in DN over the 6 months. With such positives as a great start to 2007, the purchase of a new home, and the optimistic approach to all of the WSOP events, DN's attitude is really weird. Late nights, partying, showing up late and no shows will create poor performances in anyone's career (whether it be poker of bagging groceries at Walmart). In his last video it looks like his eyes are going to fall right out of his head.I never really cared for Hellmuth but respected his excellent playing ability. I never realized that he is not only a great poker player but a great sales and business man. When PH is on camera for a blog, he is standing, pumped up and full of positive energy. He is not laying down or slumped in a chair and is well prepared to talk. I dont know exactly when DN's metamorphisis took place, but it seems to me that when FullContactPoker was removed from US players the first time, the blogs took a different direction and they became more infrequent. Many nights during the week you could play at a table or in the same tourney as DN, chat in the main lobby chat room with him, but when FCP came back online, you had to wait 10 minutes just to play someone heads up. This isn't a bash or a negative post, but rather an observation of a person who has followed him closely. I have read his blogs, articles , books, played on FCP and watched him on TV and have noticed that over the past year or so a rather large change in him that is not necesarily good at all. I no longer frequent the website because I know there will probably be nothing there and when there is, it is now someone who looks they are burning the candle at both ends and not a real caring attitude.Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Did you really expect everything to stay the same forever? Would you really want it to? That would be stagnation. Stagnation is unhealthy and one definition of death.I'm not usually one to quote the Bible, but I do agree with the section of Ecclesiastes that says, "To everything there is a season ... and a time to every purpose under Heaven." We all go through various seasons in our lives. We have our ups and downs, etc. This is 2007, not 2004.Yes, I have noticed some of the same things you have noticed ... and yes, I am a bit concerned. But the thing I admire most about Daniel's work on this forum is his honesty and openness to show the life of a professional poker player -- not just the good parts and the fun parts and the parts that make him look great, but the bad parts as well ... and the parts that make him look not-so-great.As Thomas Paine wrote, "These are the times that try men souls ..."I am not a "sunshine patriot."I will still hang around and hope for the best for Daniel and his family. I am not a religious person, but I have faith.

I would prefer to consider this a constructive comment but many would probably think not. I have noticed such an attitude change in DN over the 6 months. With such positives as a great start to 2007, the purchase of a new home, and the optimistic approach to all of the WSOP events, DN's attitude is really weird. Late nights, partying, showing up late and no shows will create poor performances in anyone's career (whether it be poker of bagging groceries at Walmart). In his last video it looks like his eyes are going to fall right out of his head.I never really cared for Hellmuth but respected his excellent playing ability. I never realized that he is not only a great poker player but a great sales and business man. When PH is on camera for a blog, he is standing, pumped up and full of positive energy. He is not laying down or slumped in a chair and is well prepared to talk.
Like Daniel said, he is just burnt out. He has played poker almost every day for over a month. I also wouldn't considere 'partying' to be actually partying. His version of partying (from what it sounds like to me) is to stay up late enjoying time with friends, with a couple of drinks. He has also explained himself for showing up late. He gets bored from the slow starts at the beginning of the events and he thinks he would play worse if he was there too early because he would get bored rather quickly. He thinks showing up late will make him play better poker, and who knows how Daniel plays better than Daniel?As for him not having Phil's posture during the video blogs, I like this. He is being himself-lounging in a chair, whereas one can argue that Phil is doing what he thinks will look good for his image-standing staight up with nobody around him. And, Daniel is prepared to talk. He has his notes on his phone and there aren't any pauses where he doesn't know what to say.

It's funny you mention that. I was talking to my mother in law today about the change in my most recent blogs and she too noticed the negative spin. My response to that is simple: I can fake it. If I REALLY wanted you to all believe all was well and good, I promise you, I could do it. I choose not to. Instead, I choose to give you what's real. If I'm annoyed, I'll convey that. If I'm irritated, I won't pretend I'm not. That's NEVER going to change. I like who I am and I'm proud of the fact that I have nothing to hide. I'm not perfect, I make all kinds of mistakes, and I've never been afraid to share those mistakes with the public. Seeing someone who is normally very positive act negatively lets you in on the truth. Not a facade, not an, "Wow, I'm so excited to be here!!!!" when that's not the case at all. When I'm feeling blah you'll know it. As for the main event, I'm super excited to draw day four and FULLY expect to be there in the end. I know that if I play my game and avoid any real disasters, I'll be in the hint for it all. As stupid and as foolish as this is going to sound, I seriously think I'm going to win it.

It's funny you mention that. I was talking to my mother in law today about the change in my most recent blogs and she too noticed the negative spin. My response to that is simple: I can fake it. If I REALLY wanted you to all believe all was well and good, I promise you, I could do it. I choose not to. Instead, I choose to give you what's real. If I'm annoyed, I'll convey that. If I'm irritated, I won't pretend I'm not. That's NEVER going to change. I like who I am and I'm proud of the fact that I have nothing to hide. I'm not perfect, I make all kinds of mistakes, and I've never been afraid to share those mistakes with the public. Seeing someone who is normally very positive act negatively lets you in on the truth. Not a facade, not an, "Wow, I'm so excited to be here!!!!" when that's not the case at all. When I'm feeling blah you'll know it. As for the main event, I'm super excited to draw day four and FULLY expect to be there in the end. I know that if I play my game and avoid any real disasters, I'll be in the hint for it all. As stupid and as foolish as this is going to sound, I seriously think I'm going to win it.
Keepin' it real. Gotta respect that.Best of luck in the M.E. :club:
As for the main event, I'm super excited to draw day four and FULLY expect to be there in the end. I know that if I play my game and avoid any real disasters, I'll be in the hint for it all. As stupid and as foolish as this is going to sound, I seriously think I'm going to win it.
Well, if I was to make that statement it would be a foolish one, but not for yourself. Your instincts are top notch and you have proven that over and over again (sometimes scary). My only observation and concern was you don't seem the same. You started out awesome this year, bought a new home, new dog (always a plus) and you did not have to travel for a month. With all of those factors considered, I thought your reports would be upbeat and positive. When I didn't see that, something wasn't right. It seems you realize that something is wrong and I hope whatever it is, it works out for you. It should work out, because you have made many moves in positive directions. Peace my friend!
Well, if I was to make that statement it would be a foolish one, but not for yourself. Your instincts are top notch and you have proven that over and over again (sometimes scary). My only observation and concern was you don't seem the same. You started out awesome this year, bought a new home, new dog (always a plus) and you did not have to travel for a month. With all of those factors considered, I thought your reports would be upbeat and positive. When I didn't see that, something wasn't right. It seems you realize that something is wrong and I hope whatever it is, it works out for you. It should work out, because you have made many moves in positive directions. Peace my friend!
We all have cycles... it is rare when someone is in the same mood or disposition they were in 6 months ago unless if their life is stagnant. Daniel's life is anything but stagnant. Change affects people, more than we sometimes realize. Even when things are going great, a new house, signing with Poker Stars, etc. it is still a change and a period of adjustment. Even when things are better it is human nature to long for or hold on to the past to some degree. Also, playing intense poker for a month can wear anyone down. Do anything over and over dampens spirits, we are creatures that crave diversity. Anyway, I love Daniel's response, it shows that even if his mood or demeanor changes his passion, drive and spirit is always there. I do believe we will see Daniel win the ME. Blue skies come after every storm.
If I REALLY wanted you to all believe all was well and good, I promise you, I could do it. I choose not to. Instead, I choose to give you what's real.
... and that's why I am here. :club::D:D
Keepin' it real. Gotta respect that.Best of luck in the M.E. :club:
totally agree. That's why it's cool to read and watch the vid blogs. Daniel's being himself and not putting on some kind of act. Good luck in the M.E. and TID!
If I REALLY wanted you to all believe all was well and good, I promise you, I could do it. As for the main event, I'm super excited to draw day four and FULLY expect to be there in the end. I know that if I play my game and avoid any real disasters, I'll be in the hint for it all. As stupid and as foolish as this is going to sound, I seriously think I'm going to win it.
I would love to see you act. Maybe a career in movies is in your future.I love your optimism in the main event. Take it down!

the thing i really like about daniel is that he is real, but i dont think its just a cycle or a bad time, i think its clear that as time goes by he is less and less exited about poker in general.i defiantly dont think that he is changing or something for the worse, im sure he is still a cool person as always.its just his feel about poker that changed, hope im wrong but thats my opinion. gl daniel in the ME.

the thing i really like about daniel is that he is real, but i dont think its just a cycle or a bad time, i think its clear that as time goes by he is less and less exited about poker in general.i defiantly dont think that he is changing or something for the worse, im sure he is still a cool person as always.its just his feel about poker that changed, hope im wrong but thats my opinion. gl daniel in the ME.
If that turns out to be true .... I'm OK with that. It would be a loss for the poker world, but not for the world in general. There is more in life than just poker. And if Daniel moves on to other things and poker takes a different role in his life, then so be it.It would be interesting to see someone like Daniel write about that process. (and the book would make a good movie.)
If that turns out to be true .... I'm OK with that. It would be a loss for the poker world, but not for the world in general. There is more in life than just poker. And if Daniel moves on to other things and poker takes a different role in his life, then so be it.It would be interesting to see someone like Daniel write about that process. (and the book would make a good movie.)
Blasphemy
Blasphemy
One of my favority fairy tales as a child was "The Emporor's New Clothes."In part, it was because my book included a picture of the Emporor in his underwear. How shocking for a 4 year old!But only in part ...
Also, playing intense poker for a month can wear anyone down. Do anything over and over dampens spirits, we are creatures that crave diversity.
Umm, It's his employment and career.
We all have cycles... it is rare when someone is in the same mood or disposition they were in 6 months ago unless if their life is stagnant. Daniel's life is anything but stagnant. Change affects people, more than we sometimes realize. Even when things are going great, a new house, signing with Poker Stars, etc. it is still a change and a period of adjustment. Even when things are better it is human nature to long for or hold on to the past to some degree. Also, playing intense poker for a month can wear anyone down. Do anything over and over dampens spirits, we are creatures that crave diversity. Anyway, I love Daniel's response, it shows that even if his mood or demeanor changes his passion, drive and spirit is always there. I do believe we will see Daniel win the ME. Blue skies come after every storm.
Maybe it was Daniels time of the month.Theresa - you made that one too easy! :club: