• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Similarly with Canada. If 5 dman went down Subban is still not getting picked.

He should be there too
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#42 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

I respect the right of the coach to make a decision as well, so long as it's related to reality. But this BS of wanting to play a heavy game has never, EVER worked in international hockey. Subban, I get. He's a risk/reward defenseman and Team Canada feels that they have enough firepower to not need his with the accompanying risk. Build a shutdown D and let your forwards score. But leaving a scorer thats done nothing but excel in the biggest games off your roster because you don't like his game? That's just dumb.
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#43 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

View Postgruven, on 09 September 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

I respect the right of the coach to make a decision as well, so long as it's related to reality. But this BS of wanting to play a heavy game has never, EVER worked in international hockey. Subban, I get. He's a risk/reward defenseman and Team Canada feels that they have enough firepower to not need his with the accompanying risk. Build a shutdown D and let your forwards score. But leaving a scorer thats done nothing but excel in the biggest games off your roster because you don't like his game? That's just dumb.

Makes sense. But I think until The USA gets blown out of tourney we shouldn't make judgements. What if they win it all?

#44 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

I don't think we have to worry about that

#45 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have too many rooting interests in this tourney so I need to make a bet to make me root for one team over another.

I naturally like Canada. I love to see the USA win. But my favorite team seems to be Team NA

I don't really hate any team. I even love to see the Russians win.

I think I need to bet

#46 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostDubey, on 09 September 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

I don't think we have to worry about that

You are probably right but it's a type of structure that any team getting hot and maybe great goaltending can win. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if any of the teams made the final. With the exception of team Euro Trash

#47 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,400 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

View Postserge, on 09 September 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

I love Tortorella. If you are going to hire a coach you let him run it the way he wants. That's the bottom line.

If he fails at the tourney then it's on him.

Before last season Kessel stock had plummeted. He had a very good season and playoffs. But certain people don't like him. Including Torts.

Should he be on the team based on history and recent play. Sure. But if the coach is going to coach his game it's up to him.

But isnt the GM the one in charge of who the players on the team are, isnt he the final word? Sure you can get your coachs input, but I am guessing in most of these circumstances, its not the coach who decides who is and who is not on the team. They may decide how the player is used, but its hard to imagine a scenario where a GM checks on the coach for every move he makes.

Also, I would bet anything that Babcock would actually use Subban.

And lastly, the Canadian D does not wow me. Im not amazed at the names when I saw Muzzin, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Vlasic...great D, not the best of the best in the league in my opinion, like some of the fwds are. I dont know, I am not awe struck at all.

#48 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 09 September 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

But isnt the GM the one in charge of who the players on the team are, isnt he the final word? Sure you can get your coachs input, but I am guessing in most of these circumstances, its not the coach who decides who is and who is not on the team. They may decide how the player is used, but its hard to imagine a scenario where a GM checks on the coach for every move he makes.

Also, I would bet anything that Babcock would actually use Subban.

And lastly, the Canadian D does not wow me. Im not amazed at the names when I saw Muzzin, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Vlasic...great D, not the best of the best in the league in my opinion, like some of the fwds are. I dont know, I am not awe struck at all.

Good points. However. You didn't mention Burns , Doughty and Weber. Burns and Doughty are amazing

#49 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

Americans looked good that period. Still early and doesn't count but they really want it

#50 gruven

gruven

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

What did you guys think of the anthem thing? As much as I dislike torts, his view carries more weight because his son is in the US army. However, I fundamentally disagree with him because he's punishing someone for exercising the right of freedom of expression.

2015-16 AHL Champions

#51 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Well the protest has nothing to do with the military.

Thing is, it is highly unlikely anybody on his team would have ever have kneeled for the anthem. His comments were just an excuse to make his opinion on the matter public, and I just don't think it was necessary to insert himself into the conversation. I don't necessarily have a problem with him telling his players they have to stand for the anthem, but It should have been a conversation that stayed inside the dressing room. This just stinks of self aggrandizing, which is par for the course for Torts I guess.

#52 gruven

gruven

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostDubey, on 09 September 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

Well the protest has nothing to do with the military.

Thing is, it is highly unlikely anybody on his team would have ever have kneeled for the anthem. His comments were just an excuse to make his opinion on the matter public, and I just don't think it was necessary to insert himself into the conversation. I don't necessarily have a problem with him telling his players they have to stand for the anthem, but It should have been a conversation that stayed inside the dressing room. This just stinks of self aggrandizing, which is par for the course for Torts I guess.
no, I just mentions the army thing because those with family in the armed forces tend to hold the flag as a symbol of extremely high regard, which I respect. I just find it funny that one of the primary concepts of war is to fight to preserve freedoms, both as nations and individuals. And one of the primary freedoms is that of expression. Which tortorella is restricting by threatening to punish someone who expressed themslf. If an actual business did that, they'd get sued til they puked. And then, the hilarity continued today when the US PR director said that no media was allowed to ask an anthem question.... :). Freedom of speech? Nahhhhhhh

2015-16 AHL Champions

#53 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,400 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

I find a lot of things strange...

- why is the anthem played before pro sporting events?
- why is sitting during the anthem such a big deal to police officers? to military?
- if the military is fighting for freedom, isnt the protest part of, you know, being free to speak your mind free of oppression?
- is this really the best way to protest what you see as wrong in your community? Sitting down during a time when people stand for a song?
- why did Tort even get into this? Moreso, why is it a big deal what he MIGHT do IF someone else MAYBE does something. lol

I dont know, I dont get much of this at all.

#54 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

I guess I am in the minority. I love the anthem playing before sporting events.

I dragged my wife to the old Chicago stadium because I wanted to hear the anthem years ago

Now do I think not standing when it is playing is bad. I actually don't really care and feel the same for what they are protesting

#55 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

One other thing about the anthem. I went to the first official NFL game at Rogers centre. The Canadian singer hacked up the anthem and the crowd took over. 50k singing O Canada was fun

#56 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 27,371 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

we were getting really close to not having the anthems played before games and then 9/11 happened. Thanks Obama
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#57 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 27,371 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

when I had Raptor's season seats I always timed my pre game pee to when the anthems were being sung
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#58 iBeaver

iBeaver

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 09 September 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

I find a lot of things strange...

- why is the anthem played before pro sporting events?
- why is sitting during the anthem such a big deal to police officers? to military?
- if the military is fighting for freedom, isnt the protest part of, you know, being free to speak your mind free of oppression?
- is this really the best way to protest what you see as wrong in your community? Sitting down during a time when people stand for a song?
- why did Tort even get into this? Moreso, why is it a big deal what he MIGHT do IF someone else MAYBE does something. lol

I dont know, I dont get much of this at all.

-the department of defense pays major sports leagues $52M (taxpayers $) a year to do all the military stuff and anthems.

-no clue. "Patriots" are a touchy group. Yet as an aside many patriots break rules in regard to the flag but that's a whole other issue.

- this has been my stance forever. People talk about freedom all the time while at the same time trying limit everyone's freedom. Standing is, imho, all about etiquette. It's not a law. It's not a crime though many stupidly believe it is, but it's not.

I do not personally care about the flag. I do not consider myself a patriot. I do not bleed red white and blue. But I have the decent to stand and take off my hat during the anthem. I do it because it's what we do. I don't have anything to protest so it's not a big deal to stand. At the same time I respect Kapernick and Marshalls decision to protest the obvious and blatant issues going on and see nothing wrong with their protests. It creates dialogue. It gets more attention then stating the issues say in a press conference.

No idea what torts did so can't comment.

#59 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,451 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

I see not saluting the flag and the national anthem a disrespect to your country. However it's your right to do what you want.

I think Kap is a clown and what little respect I might of had went out the window when he wears the caricature pig cops.

Again I personally don't agree and I salute the national anthem every time as a show of respect to my country of citizenship( Canada) and my now country of residence( USA) . If I was in Iraq as a guest I would naturally respect their national anthem as well.

Babcock was asked to comment he basically brushed it off but he did say that the players should stand for the anthem. He didn't go as far as Torts to punish players.

#60 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 38,470 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

Anthems before sporting events is dumb.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users