Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

Haha sorry.

#42 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

Little tidbit not all Uber /Lyft riders might not know. We also have to rate passengers 1-5 star after every trip. If you have a bad rating there is possibility that some drivers might not pick you up. In a crowded area probably doesn't matter but in a rural suburb it might.

90 percent of my passengers get a 5. But if you are douchey, rude , condescending you might get a lower rating.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#43 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

View Postserge, on 27 July 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Little tidbit not all Uber /Lyft riders might not know. We also have to rate passengers 1-5 star after every trip. If you have a bad rating there is possibility that some drivers might not pick you up. In a crowded area probably doesn't matter but in a rural suburb it might.

90 percent of my passengers get a 5. But if you are douchey, rude , condescending you might get a lower rating.

Dumb. You already addressed that

#44 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

So a friend and I went up to San Fran for a couple of days to drive. I had heard stories how people were making ridiculous amounts of money, so I had to try it..It is a bit of a gold rush when it comes to Uber in San Francisco...If you put in the hours, the money to be made is pretty good..Its not too difficult to make $1500 over a weekend.

San Fran downtown reminds me a lot of Toronto..Very crowded, lots of gridlock at times..The waterfront is beautiful...It really is a very pretty city...Nobody drives in San Fran..Parking is extremely expensive if you can find it...Traffic obviously is very difficult..Oh and the hills..The scary near vertical hills..

The rates in San Francisco are the second highest in the world , behind NYC..Uber has different rates in every market..However the main way to make money as a driver is during surges( yes ironic my name is similar)..The city is always surging 1.5x to 2.5x ...In busy times its not uncommon to see 3x and higher...

Its not a bad part time gig if you dont mind the negatives with driving with Uber.

#45 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,326 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:32 AM

Is that $1500 in fares, or $1500 that you are personally clearing?

Does your deal with Uber allow you to pretty much drive anywhere you want?

I thought you weren't yet able to legally work in the United States - did Uber just not check that out, or have you since been cleared?
Long signatures are really annoying.

#46 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 03 August 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

Is that $1500 in fares, or $1500 that you are personally clearing?

Does your deal with Uber allow you to pretty much drive anywhere you want?

I thought you weren't yet able to legally work in the United States - did Uber just not check that out, or have you since been cleared?

$1500 would be profit before expenses.

I'm allowed to drive anywhere in California. I have SSN and have gone thru a background check. B

#47 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,326 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

Wow, so fares would be several times that. Impressive! How much would you estimate expenses? Assume gas is the main one, and general wear on the car. Don't care so much about insurance and such since you're paying that anyway (though guessing you pay more if you're driving professionally).

Congrats on getting the SSN, didn't realize that was all fixed up!
Long signatures are really annoying.

#48 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 03 August 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Wow, so fares would be several times that. Impressive! How much would you estimate expenses? Assume gas is the main one, and general wear on the car. Don't care so much about insurance and such since you're paying that anyway (though guessing you pay more if you're driving professionally).

so serge is a legal immigrant stealing jobs from Americans! Trump will have you tossed back over the wall once he's elected! :)
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#49 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 03 August 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Expenses when driving out of town would just be gas and a place to stay. My friend had some Marriott points that we used. There is a rider on the insurance policy regarding rideshare. Which isn't that much.

The wear and tear on the car is the other one. That's a bit harder to quantify.

#50 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

View Postgruven, on 03 August 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

so serge is a legal immigrant stealing jobs from Americans! Trump will have you tossed back over the wall once he's elected! :)

Me and the Donald talk daily. We are cool.

:)

#51 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,400 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

View Postserge, on 03 August 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

The wear and tear on the car is the other one. That's a bit harder to quantify.

I have a theory that a lot of drivers are not taking this into account. seen a couple of cases of it first hand.

$1500 seems like a lot, I guess driving a cab there 2 years ago would make one a millionaire.lol

I cant figure out how its worth it for the driver sometimes.
Miami area drive, 25min, 11miles, at 6pm rush hour traffic, and total cost was only $14. With taxi was $30+

#52 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

I think pricing will have to go up eventually. If I am not mistaken Uber's pricing is currently predatory to basically steal all business away from Cabs, but they are still losing money and cannot sustain long term with their current pricing model.

#53 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 03 August 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I have a theory that a lot of drivers are not taking this into account. seen a couple of cases of it first hand.

$1500 seems like a lot, I guess driving a cab there 2 years ago would make one a millionaire.lol

I cant figure out how its worth it for the driver sometimes.
Miami area drive, 25min, 11miles, at 6pm rush hour traffic, and total cost was only $14. With taxi was $30+

$1500 is not typical in most markets. And you have to work really hard to make that. That's for about 3 days of weekend driving in San Francisco. It's not something I would or could do full time.

I try and drive smarter now. I don't drive unless it's surging, and try to avoid certain areas.

Also the wait time isn't like taxis. Most markets if you are sitting in traffic it's rough .15 to .20 a min. Which is nothing

#54 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostDubey, on 03 August 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

I think pricing will have to go up eventually. If I am not mistaken Uber's pricing is currently predatory to basically steal all business away from Cabs, but they are still losing money and cannot sustain long term with their current pricing model.

They are bleeding billions of cash. It's a fine line with the economics. Lot of drivers won't keep driving at the lower rates. A min ride in Fresno nets me $2.44. Which is ridiculous and won't be sustained.

#55 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostDubey, on 03 August 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

and drivers are willing to go along with the predatory thinking? Are they losing money too, because I thought the real point of this was "ride sharing" and that the driver would be making money. Whats in it for the guy driving, I'm wondering?
Ive now done that drive twice from our vacation spot to the airport. One time $17, the other $14. I have never paid less than $35 with a cab. Yes, of course, from here on out, I cant imagine taking a cab. But isnt the driver losing the most here, as opposed to Uber?

#56 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

I don't think you guys are aware of the guarantees and incentives.

I think this is how they are bleeding money and keeping drivers for the moment.

I usually get offers of $35-$50 an hour guarantee. Depending on time. I may net $15 that hour. But they will top it up. If it was only $15. I'm not driving. But for $35 I will.

#57 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

How often is usually?

How does it work, do you get an offer to be out in a certain area at a certain time, ie downtown at 2am to drive people back home from the bars, or 8am to drive people to work?

#58 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 03 August 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

How often is usually?

How does it work, do you get an offer to be out in a certain area at a certain time, ie downtown at 2am to drive people back home from the bars, or 8am to drive people to work?

For San Fran I get them every week. You have the basic concept. From 7-9 am they will offer $50 an hour. During the day it will be less. $35. Then the bar hours $45-$50. And yes you have to have the app on and 2 of 3 rides must originate in that area. In the SF case the general downtown area

#59 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

oh ok, so you dont get it for where you live in Fresno, you get it for San Fran?
How do they know you are willing to go to San Fran, its because you have been an Uber driver there before?

#60 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 03 August 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

oh ok, so you dont get it for where you live in Fresno, you get it for San Fran?
How do they know you are willing to go to San Fran, its because you have been an Uber driver there before?

Fresno is a totally different market. I got the offer based on my rating and status with them. Then they just continue to offer it. I'm actually in LA now. Visiting cousins. I will drive a bit here.

Well not LA as it's just stupid traffic. The OC is awesome place to drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users