Thin Value Raise

Villain was a big station. First hand of the tournament, I raised in EP with 88 and he check/called me down on K84xx when he dfended the SB with K7s.Since then he had been limping in a lot, and just playing really poorly.I think betting the turn for value is okay here, just decided to go with pot control at this point. On the river he leads out really small, which I interpret as me most likely having the best hand. Since he has a really wide range here, and could easily show up with hands that beat me. Is it okay to raise/fold the river?feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($30+$3) t50/t100 - 9 playersSB: t2,440 BB: t4,935 UTG: t3,150 UTG+1: t3,000 MP: t4,620 (Hero)MP2: t8,265 HJ: t2,775 CO: t2,210 Button: t2,850 Preflop: (t150) Hero is MP with :4h:jh (9 players)2 folds, Hero raises to t300, 5 folds, BB calls t200Flop: (t650) :ts:qh:5c (2 players)BB checks, Hero bets t325, BB calls t325Turn: (t1,300) :club: (2 players)BB checks, Hero checksRiver: (t1,300) :3h (2 players)BB bets t400, Hero raises to t1000

Bet turn, i would personally check behind on river.as you played it, i'd just call river...you'll be ahead plenty of times. Raising only turns it into a bluff

Bet turn, i would personally check behind on river.as you played it, i'd just call river...you'll be ahead plenty of times. Raising only turns it into a bluff
Im not 100% sure about this. Based on the read of his opponent, he will expect to be called by top pairs, so value exists in this isolated situation. The clear reason against the river raise is that this play may be bad enough to 3 bet shove as weakly as top/top. I do think my standard line here would be betting the turn, and then either betting or check/calling most rivers, absent a very precise read.

if you bet turn and he calls then leads small on the river, im probably folding.bet the turn for valueriver raise makes no sense to me. you decided to pot control the turn then blow the pot up on the river,... you need to stay focused on your goal of the hand bc you changed that over the course of it.

I think you played the hand perfectly. Although there's nothing wrong with betting the turn, this is exactly why you do check it in position. You allow draws to turn themselves into bluffs a lot easier and you better understand what their action means on the river.Against a donk, I think you're looking at a decent one pair an overwhelming majority of a time, and getting paid off on it with the size you chose. It sucks if he happens to have you beat, but I still think raising is a good play.

I think you played the hand perfectly. Although there's nothing wrong with betting the turn, this is exactly why you do check it in position. You allow draws to turn themselves into bluffs a lot easier and you better understand what their action means on the river.Against a donk, I think you're looking at a decent one pair an overwhelming majority of a time, and getting paid off on it with the size you chose. It sucks if he happens to have you beat, but I still think raising is a good play.
Thing is, we get value from draws on the turn by betting and some nonthinking players will bet river as a bluff and we even get more value...against a station, we need to be betting turn
Thing is, we get value from draws on the turn by betting and some nonthinking players will bet river as a bluff and we even get more value...against a station, we need to be betting turn
So very true. My approach against idiots, too often, is to take a very conservative route.