usa a democracy? i don't think so with this ruling.

I can't believe the Supreme Court passed this :shock: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/scotus.p...y.ap/index.html
Old news.....been going on for years...and BTW....they are not taking your property away for nothing...they will pay you market value for it....THIS IS REALLY OLD NEWS....and BTW....get this shat out of here...this is a damn poker forum.

Before anybody starts bashing the conservatives on the court....THE LIBERALS were the ones that passed this:John Paul Stevens wrote for the majority.He was joined by Justice Anthony Kennedy (only Con), David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

Alf, how can you possiblly make that last statement after yesterdays fiasco.
Because yesterday was a fiasco like you said.....it was a disaster and a waste of a perfectly good poker forum to debate that garbage.
six pages minimum
No way.....it makes LIBERALS look bad...so none of the Libs will come in here and post....this will die quickly.....I think.
six pages minimum
No way.....it makes LIBERALS look bad...so none of the Libs will come in here and post....this will die quickly.....I think.
When did anyone mention Liberals or Conservatives? I don't see it anywhere in the OP's post. If you don't want to talk about stuff like this on the forum then don't try to incite people. Patrick
six pages minimum
When did anyone mention Liberals or Conservatives? I don't see it anywhere in the OP's post. If you don't want to talk about stuff like this on the forum then don't try to incite people. Patrick
Alf is a classic bully. Pay him no mind and he'll go away. He said as much above.
six pages minimum
Alf is a classic bully. Pay him no mind and he'll go away. He said as much above.
I just pointed out the obvious.
six pages minimum
:club:
six pages minimum
Na, he's not a bully. For someone used to uber-trolls, he's no big deal. Alf, you pointed out the obvious regarding how the Justices voted, and I pointed out the obvious that you attempted to incite people. There was no other reason for your comments, especially after you had told the OP to keep this out of the forum. For you to criticize the OP, then immediately ignore your own words, was pathetic.Patrick
six pages minimum
Na, he's not a bully. For someone used to uber-trolls, he's no big deal. Alf, you pointed out the obvious regarding how the Justices voted, and I pointed out the obvious that you attempted to incite people. There was no other reason for your comments, especially after you had told the OP to keep this out of the forum. For you to criticize the OP, then immediately ignore your own words, was pathetic.Patrick
Heh, I'm sorry pathetic was a strong word....Hmmm....was....hypocritical. :-)Patrick

News Flash.It's only common sense to say Liberals supported this because the majority voting for this was the Liberal justices. The minority voting against it was the Conservative justices. Alf is right about that, but to say that it has been going on for years so oh well I do not agree with. Just because it has been going on for years does not make it right.

I can't believe this has been happening for years. Honestly, if I own a property the government doesn't have the right to take it, even for "fair market value". What if I like the place and don't want to move? Apparently, according to the Supreme Court, I don't have a choice and that's just wrong. Thank God I live in Canada :wink:

USA is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic.Huge difference.A democracy is 3 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter.

I can't believe this has been happening for years. Honestly, if I own a property the government doesn't have the right to take it, even for "fair market value". What if I like the place and don't want to move? Apparently, according to the Supreme Court, I don't have a choice and that's just wrong. Thank God I live in Canada :wink:
Eminent Domain....for years, the Gov could seize your property for a public project...."For the common good"Now it is happening for private enterprise.....What is more....It already happend in Las Vegas....The MGM Grand needed a property adjacent to it for parking....the owner didn't want to sell...and the city forced him to sell to the MGM...under the guize of the "common good".It's sad....but hey...what can you really do?
Umm...believe me, I am a property owner in Canada, and we don't have a choice in the matter either.Fail to pay your property taxes and you'll see who really owns your property.

the USA is not a democracy, it is a representative government. As such, not everyone gets what they want, but everyone has a voice, and has the freedom to use their voice (except to burn the flag) to say whatever they want. In the end, a vote of representatives decides what is best for everyone.

the USA is not a democracy, it is a representative government. As such, not everyone gets what they want, but everyone has a voice, and has the freedom to use their voice (except to burn the flag) to say whatever they want. In the end, a vote of representatives decides what is best for everyone.
Wow---must be some voice to burn the flag!Though there shouldn't be an amendment on this, but that's a discussion for another day.As it relates to the ruling today, it's a sad day, IMO.

Not to twist this into a partisan debate, but fiscally conservative and legaly conservative are not the same, the conservative justices have voted against it as they should have. Its a horrible statement about our countrys love of capitalism, when the revenue of tax dollars is the only arguement a local government needs to evoke the public domain laws.We are talking about river front property, which in almost every city is very expensive real estate. This another law that on the surface seems to help the public but in reality only hands more power to rich elite conservatives.Showing that once again in America money can buy anything, and the Laws are only for those of us who can't afford to buy our way around them.