Main Event

We all pretty much know that poker is mostly skill with some luck involved...but when there is 5,000 people in the tournament how can any skill remain? I think in terms of overall purse and money it is the biggest tournament but it could come to being as prestigious as winning the lottery (WOW! How lucky are you??)Daniel/others- With all of the people in the tournament now, does it loose some prestige in your mind...as in to win it just takes too much luck?

Just as much skill is involved, perhaps it just needs different strategies depending on how far in to the tournament you are.Getting ITM at the WSOP would still be a great achievement, even more so to get to the final few and ultimately win it - obviously it requires a certain degree of luck. Entering MTTs online sees you pitted against thousands of other people at a time and, yes, luck comes into it as to how far you would get. However, to get ITM 95% of the tournaments you play in means that there is a certain level of skill you must have, it can't be pure luck. The WSOP is getting more people, but the satellite winners that play online often battle their way through several thousand others, which is a great achievement. If you play a $10 satellite and win a seat to a $100 satellite and win a seat to the WS - that's twice you have beaten many people already, and you must have some degree of skill to do so. Everytime I get ITM when over 1000 people enter a tourney, I congratulate myself - even more so if I go on to win. To do this several times a day means I have more to thank than just luck. To win a seat in the WS is just as good as winning $10k in cash to get the entry fee. To get ITM is something to be proud of, in any tournament, and to win it - nothing can take that away, even if you go all in and hit perfect - yes, that part would be luck - but getting to a position where you are heads up on the final table isn't.Mxx