Official Firearms Thread

Starting this because there seems to be a few shooting enthusiasts around and we're getting run out of other threads like smokers out of NYC. Not a place for debating the Second Amendment but for discussing various arms, shooting, and other ownership issues.What I currently own:Browning .380 which is a pretty sweet little pistol. It was my dad's who then gifted it to me which I then traded back to him for a rifle. He then gave the pistol to his ex-wife (while they were married) who I recently purchased it from. I found out that they don't make these anymore so I'm glad I got it back. I've always been pretty good at hitting with it. It's a rare occurence when I don't get a "possible" at 25 ft.Beretta model 96FS (.40 S&W). This was the first firearm I purchased with my own cash. I had been looking at getting a Beretta for years and decided to go with .40 over 9mm. My dad and I went into a sporting goods store one day just to look around and pickup some ammo for his rifle. We were looking at Beretta 9's when I said something like "If they have the full size in .40 I'd buy it right now." Well, the floor guy hear me and produced one from behind the counter immediately. Me, being a man of my word, walked out of the store less than an hour later with a brand new pistol.At first, I didn't particularly care for it all that much. It had a bit of a ghost trigger pull on it and I basically couldn't hit shit with it unless I just cut loose and sent the entire clip worth downrange in the matter of a few seconds. Finally, I got accustomed to the trigger pull and grew to truly appreciate the pistol. 1903 Springfield. This was the rifle I traded the .380 for above. It was my grandfather's and I can still remember the first time I shot it when I was 15. I had owned a .22 rifle for 2 years and had gotten pretty darn good with it at the 80-100 yard range. So one weekend my dad, his dad, and I went up to the mountains to do some target shooting outside of Blackhawk, CO. Toward the end of the day gramps let me shoot 5 rounds through his '03 at an antifreeze jug from about 50 yards opensights. I missed the first but landed the subsequent 4 on target. Immediately after my last round I turned to my dad and said "I like this gun." So when the opportunity presented itself to finally own it, I didn't hesitate a second and made the trade. If money weren't an object and I had a plot of land to go shoot whenever I wanted this would be my wish list:Match M14, scopedM4 with Aimpoint optics MP5, preferably the SD modelThompson SMG (primarily as a collectible, but I'd like to shoot it occasionally)Barrett .50HK USP Compact Tactical .45 suppressedI'm sure there's others I've overlooked but those seem to be the ones that top the list at the moment.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Winnner is like playing with the cheat codes on.

Ouc, I cant see an image but I assume its just a stripped lower?       Buy a fire control group, which has the trigger, hammer, disconnector, safety, and the pins and springs. I like DPMS parts. S

I take it back. She's flippin' gorgeous!   http://i.imgur.com/f38kVtJ.jpg       Boooooo, I don't know the code to make that show up as a pic instead of a link.

Currently own:SigArms P229 in .40cal S&WWalther P22 (.22LR)Springfield single barrel pump action 12 gaugeOn my list:Pretty much everything else, although I specifically intend to purchase a .223 Bushmaster or Colt AR-15, and a Remington 700 rifle with an expensive piece of optics mounted to it within the next year or so. I just got my CCW in March, and needed to store up some cash for my honeymoon in Vegas in September so I didn't have any opportunity to make any big purchases on it until we got back (I bought the .22 in July because I just needed to buy something right that instant, you know the feeling). Just picked up the Sig this past Monday and I absolutely love it. The very next thing on the list is finding a reasonably priced range somewhere around here that will let me shoot all my toys (since I already own pistols and a shotgun, and I intend to purchase rifles), and I need to upgrade my safe situation although I don't have room or $$$ for a vault just yet. As far as pistols go, I find something new that I like almost daily. I go back and forth on Glocks, but I'll probably pick up a subcompact .45 one of these days, possibly my next purchase. I also like the airweight .357mag S&W's but they're expensive as hell (my local store has a new one, and they want almost a grand for it) and from what I read, the recoil is kind of vicious. The P229 is the pistol I've wanted basically since the moment I started thinking about getting my permit over 10 years ago, so I'm glad I have that. Just need to keep researching until I fall for something else that I can't live without. I can easily see myself buying a new gun every 3-6 months for the rest of my life, it's very addicting.

Don't own one, but a black co-worker recently tried to sell me a TEC-9. What a silly looking gun. Beretta 9mms seem kinda sexy. Maybe I'll look into getting one of those, and we could use a cigarette thread. Somebody do that.
I had the master planI'm in the caravan on my way to Marylandwith my man Two-Tecs to take over this projectsThey call him Two-Tecs, he tote two tecsAnd when he start to bust he like to ask, "Who's next?"

My list....Kimber Ultra-Carry II - Matte Stainelss FinishGlock 23-C .40 cal.Mossberg 300 12gWinchester 300 mag customTaurus .38 hammerlessI usually carry the Glock (LIFETIME CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT - I LOVE INDIANA), I keep the shotgun loaded on a rack above the door inside my walk-in closet in my bedroom with a trigger lock with a key hidden nearby. I have a motion sensor downstairs that beeps once loudly about 10 seconds before going off. The beep is loud enough to wake me and to cause any intruder to freeze for a few seconds. This gives me more than enough time to get the Mossberg unlocked and positioned at the top of the stairs. Hopefully when the alarm goes off the intruder will just take off, but if not, I'll be ready. I could care less if someone steals my stuff, I just don't intend to let them make a run up the stairs to where my wife and kids are. I can't think of a better weapon to use to shoot someone coming up a set of stairs at you than a shotgun :-) Maybe a M203 grenade launcher, but I am a bit worried about collateral damage :-)

I carry a Kel-tec .380 with a back up clip. Also have a Mossberg bolt action shotgun, Taurus 9mm (beretta 92 clone) w/ 2 15 round clips, 22 rifle, 22 pistol, 38 snub nose, Ithaca featherweight 12 gauge (weighs 4 pounds fully loaded. Easy to carry in the woods all day, but DAMN at the recoil!!) and a few others I will not mention here.

I had the master planI'm in the caravan on my way to Marylandwith my man Two-Tecs to take over this projectsThey call him Two-Tecs, he tote two tecsAnd when he start to bust he like to aks, "Who's next?"
FYPThen:I went to see Poppy to cop me a brickAks for some consignment, he wasnt tryin to hear it.Smokin mad Newports cause Im due in court for an assault I caught in Bridgeport New York.

Im not American so i guess i just dont get it, but to the two posters above who say they carry a pistol, why would you do that?Do you carry it during the day when you are running errands? At night when going out for dinner? Is it incase someone tries to mug you?, or if you happen to get tangled up in a bank robbery or something of that nature?

Im not American so i guess i just dont get it, but to the two posters above who say they carry a pistol, why would you do that?Do you carry it during the day when you are running errands? At night when going out for dinner? Is it incase someone tries to mug you?, or if you happen to get tangled up in a bank robbery or something of that nature?
See bolded. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I know that's totally cliche, but it's true nonetheless.
Here's why I carry it, true story. I've carried a gun for 8 years, and this is the ONLY time I've ever pulled it out.I had just picked up my twin 9 month olds from the babysitter. Was driving home and some young kid pulled over right in front of me, almost took my bumper off. So I honked at him, he flicked me off, I flicked him off, whatever. We come to the next stoplight (there is a car behind me and cars on both sides, I have nowhere to go) and the passanger gets out of the car with a baseball bat! Young kid, less that 18 I'd say. Now I play Rugby, and if I hadn't had my kids in the car, I would just get out, and he'd better kill me with the first swing or I'm going to kill him, but not with my kids in the car. So I pull out my Glock, open the door and get down in the "V" between the door and car and tell him to drop the f-ing bat. Well, he drops the bat down to his side, but then bends over and reaches down towards the floor of his vehicle! I'm thinking "holy crap, I'm going to have to shoot this kid!" I tell myself if I see black or silver in his hand, I'm pulling the trigger. Well, the first thing I see is green, thank god. This stupid, stupid kid pulls out a Mountain Dew bottle and throws it at me, hops back in the car and they run the red light to get away. Well, the lady behind me by this time has already called 911, so I pull off and wait for the cops to show up, along with her. The cop gets there, I show him my permit and everything, and he tells me if it had been him, he would have shot him as soon as he reached in the vehicle. He says that since I had the kids in the car and a witness (who totally agreed with everything) I could have shot him and wouldn't have been arrested. Anyway, THAT'S why I carry a gun, not to protect myself or my stuff, but to protect my kids. And anyone who says they wouldn't carry a gun to protect their children, is either a liar or an idiot IMO.

Cool thanks for explaining it, btw i wasnt judging you. Still cant get my head around it tho, its so foriegn to me. Ive been to the States a few times (my Dad lives in Milwaukee) and I think if I saw a random Joe Citizen carrying a gun id still probably get pretty freaked out lol and dive into some bushes for cover.Here in New Zealand its illegal to even own a handgun unless you have a special collectors gun licence.

I'm not really that riled about guns so don't flame me"Like, I was over in England. You ever been to England, anyone, been to England? No one has handguns in England, not even the cops. True or false? True. Now in England last year, they had fourteen deaths from handguns. Fourteen. Now the United States, and I think you know how we feel about handguns, woooo I'm getting a warm tingly feeling just saying the ****ing word, to be honest with you. I swear to you, I am hard. Twenty-three thousand deaths from handguns. Now let's go through those numbers again, because they're a little baffling at first glance. England, where no one has guns, fourteen deaths. United States, and I think you know how we feel about guns woooo I'm getting a stiffy - twenty-three thousand deaths from handguns."But there's no connection, and you'd be a fool and a Communist to make one. There's no connection between having a gun and shooting someone with it, and not having a gun and not shooting someone. There have been studies made and there is no connection at all there." - Bill Hicks

lol @ the "mountain dew" story..Reminds me of poker actually.. Your hand turned out ok, but not without some serious aggression on both sides, with both sides risking far more than they had any business to.Moral of the story: don't instigate shit over minor traffic beefs when you have children in the car, whether you are packing or not. You have 0 to gain and your whole "chipstack" to lose from such a confrontation.And no, I'm not a pacifist or anything like that. I'm just a normal guy who seems to avoid physical confrontations. I've also worked off and on as a bouncer for the last 8 years (until I began DJing full time), so I usually approach idiots with the path of least resistance in the first place. When you get cut off in traffic you're first two thoughts should not be that the person (or people) in the car are a. ) sober and b. ) need to be taught a lesson. Defensive driving is akin to defensive living.

Here's why I carry it, true story. I've carried a gun for 8 years, and this is the ONLY time I've ever pulled it out.I had just picked up my twin 9 month olds from the babysitter. Was driving home and some young kid pulled over right in front of me, almost took my bumper off. So I honked at him, he flicked me off, I flicked him off, whatever. We come to the next stoplight (there is a car behind me and cars on both sides, I have nowhere to go) and the passanger gets out of the car with a baseball bat! Young kid, less that 18 I'd say. Now I play Rugby, and if I hadn't had my kids in the car, I would just get out, and he'd better kill me with the first swing or I'm going to kill him, but not with my kids in the car. So I pull out my Glock, open the door and get down in the "V" between the door and car and tell him to drop the f-ing bat. Well, he drops the bat down to his side, but then bends over and reaches down towards the floor of his vehicle! I'm thinking "holy crap, I'm going to have to shoot this kid!" I tell myself if I see black or silver in his hand, I'm pulling the trigger. Well, the first thing I see is green, thank god. This stupid, stupid kid pulls out a Mountain Dew bottle and throws it at me, hops back in the car and they run the red light to get away. Well, the lady behind me by this time has already called 911, so I pull off and wait for the cops to show up, along with her. The cop gets there, I show him my permit and everything, and he tells me if it had been him, he would have shot him as soon as he reached in the vehicle. He says that since I had the kids in the car and a witness (who totally agreed with everything) I could have shot him and wouldn't have been arrested. Anyway, THAT'S why I carry a gun, not to protect myself or my stuff, but to protect my kids. And anyone who says they wouldn't carry a gun to protect their children, is either a liar or an idiot IMO.
umm......this is the saddest thing I have ever read in my life. You almost shot some kid over him cutting you off. Am I reading this correctly?Seriously, If I ever HAD to carry a gun to feel like my children were protected........I would think it's time to move somewhere a little safer.PS----I have a Paper Clip that keeps Terrorists away.........I'll sell it to you for $500.........you know, just in case

Some statistics, then I'm going to bed:Taking a cross section of 100,000 random Americans, statistics tell us the following:15 of them will die from motor-vehicle related incidents10 of them will die from some form of poisoning. 5 of them will die from suffocation. 7 will die from falls. 320 of them will die from heart illness.190 of them will die of some form of cancer.25 of them will die of diabetes.10 of them will die from gun-related incidents (of which, 5-6 of those will be suicides and/or drug related homicides).Sources:http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.htmlhttp://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.htmlOf the 2.4 million American people that died in 2002 (the best stats I could readily find), 62% died from heart disease or cancer, and just over 1% died from firearms (again, more than 50% of those gun deaths were suicides or drug murders). If you still think that gun violence is the huge blight on the face of our society that the government and media tell us it is, then I don't really know what else to say to you.

umm......this is the saddest thing I have ever read in my life. You almost shot some kid over him cutting you off. Am I reading this correctly?Seriously, If I ever HAD to carry a gun to feel like my children were protected........I would think it's time to move somewhere a little safer.PS----I have a Paper Clip that keeps Terrorists away.........I'll sell it to you for $500.........you know, just in case
ok, I guess reading comprehension isn't easy for everybody, so I'll help out. no, he did not "almost shoot some kid" for cutting him off. he was cut off, the situation was escalated, admittedly by both parties, and when cornered, his and his children's lives were threatened by "some kid." should he have waited for the kid to drag him out of his car and beat him to death in front of his kids? that a safer alternative?and by the way, crimes happen in Bel Aire too. not everyone can just move to the safest 25 square feet of the country and guarantee they'll never be in a situation where they have to defend themselves. thats just ignorant.

Thanks shake, plz.. lets keep this thread focused.. only gun enthusiast posts about their guns, guns they like, guns they hate ( specific guns they hate, not the genre of guns in general) and posts containing hardcore hip-hop lyrics referencing those guns.

Well, back in the day, I owned dozens and dozens- there pretty much wasn't anything that I didn't own at least once. Every gun I "used", meaning, it actually got dirty. None of them were safe queens.My own personal preferences:I prefer AKs to ARs for most all normal use, but in situations where I know the gun is going to stay clean, I'd definitely take the AR. Oh yeah, and I know how big of a sacrilege it is to say this out loud in the Tactical Tom community, but I absolutely love Mini 14's. Mine, under harsh field conditions, have been dead set reliable and accurate enough to practically serve their purpose rather than theoretically accurate enough to argue about over the internet. I'm definitely a Glock guy, and a 10MM guy. Seen 9MM, .45 ACP, .40 and 10MM in action on ferral hogs- there just isn't any comparison. A light, fast 10MM totally ****ing pwns, but really, it's 95% shooter and 5% bullet. When I carried a 9, it was a CZ75. I do appreciate the utility of a good shotgun. In precision rifles, well, I wasn't ever a good enough precision rifle shooter to really take advantage of the difference between a "stock" Remington PSS and a "tuned" PSS, but god, how I saw every marginal shooter ejaculate over spending $1000 "tuning" their rifles to shoot at a degree of accuracy that is substantially higher than their abilities to take advantage of it.Like, there are very few guys in the world who really make use of a 1/2 MOA difference (in circumstances other than the bench), but, as with IQ's, Lake Wobegon rules the day and indeed, all shooters are really above average, if you ask them about it. That's where I always tried to distinguish myself. I always applied stone cold objectivity to every gun I owned and viewed them as working tools- little machines with a purpose- rather than as magical voo-doo medicine sent from the gods that make smoke and thunder and ward off evil spirits, which seems to be the common mentality amongst about 90% of gun nuts, given the worship I see them receive.