Tourney Strat Challenge?

Ok guys - there are some sick tourney guru's here. I want to build a bankroll. Here's what I'm proposing to do. I have about $400 in fulltilt right now. I've been playing plo severely out of my roll for a week or two, and have been lucky so far not to run badly. I want to give sit n' go's a shot for this coming week. I will NOT play outside of what I'm rolled for - nothing I have less than 50 buyins for, so that leaves me with the 2's and 5's pretty much.A few things I would like some input on from the forum areI) What are your thoughts on tourney size - should I play 6-9-18 player ones to start - mix them up, etc?II) What is the best way to track my progress? What do you guys use?III) Do my bankroll conditions sound about right? Should I be sticking to the $2's only, or are the $5's reasonable at this point as well?IV) How many tourneys is a reasonable sample size to know if I can make any money at it? Is the rake (10% I think) too oppressive?And anything else you can think of that might help me out here....Anyone else want to join? We can race to $1k or something like that for fun.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I) whatever you feel most comfortable at/have fun playing imoII) I just use sharkscope at the moment, but that's probably not smart ;-)III) $5s would be alright - 80 buy ins is plentyIV) 10% rake is ok (on Pokerstars it doesn't get below that until the high stakes) - I'm not sure about sample size, you can get an idea about how you're doing after a 100 or so, but I guess you'd have to play thousands for the stats to be significant.

I have about $400 in fulltilt right now.A few things I would like some input on from the forum areI) What are your thoughts on tourney size - should I play 6-9-18 player ones to start - mix them up, etc?II) What is the best way to track my progress? What do you guys use?III) Do my bankroll conditions sound about right? Should I be sticking to the $2's only, or are the $5's reasonable at this point as well?IV) How many tourneys is a reasonable sample size to know if I can make any money at it? Is the rake (10% I think) too oppressive?And anything else you can think of that might help me out here....Anyone else want to join? We can race to $1k or something like that for fun.
I would kill myself before I played $2 and $5 sngs. If you can beat $10 and $20 play them now. I'd play 6 seaters. Pple suck at these and they move quickly, so you can get a higher volume.I would race with you but I just doubt that I could stick to $10 and $20, I would probably buy into the nightly 69+6 and $24+2 and $150+13. GG Bankroll management. If you really want to race someone though I would if we side bet it and put crazy strict parameters on it. (IE who could get to 1k in less amount of sngs attempted, not by date).

tskills, I actually want to do this the RIGHT way this time. Every other time I've tried something in my poker "career" if you want to call it that, I too have said "GG Bankroll Management". I've been playing $50 plo with $200 that I deposited a week ago. It's stupid. I have no issue putting in the time and trying to grind it out this time.

Play the $10 9man and 18man SnGs. Really. 35 buyins is plenty at that level IMO. By playing $5 STTs you are unnecessarily sacrificing hourly equity.I think I need a break from PLO, at least for a few days. The beats are starting to get to me. I'll do a challenge with you. What are your conditions? Profit in a certain number of games (500? 300?), or a straight time race to a certain figure? I don't mind.

tskills, I actually want to do this the RIGHT way this time. Every other time I've tried something in my poker "career" if you want to call it that, I too have said "GG Bankroll Management". I've been playing $50 plo with $200 that I deposited a week ago. It's stupid. I have no issue putting in the time and trying to grind it out this time.
You have $400. If you are a winning SNG player at $10 and $20 you "won't" go broke. It will be very hard. I'd mix in a combo of those limits, you are certainly rolled for $10, but it obviously doesn't matter what you are rolled for, you have to have the skill.Personally from reading your responses for the past while I can't imagine you not being a winning $10sng player. I'd start there, keep stats and mix in the $20's. It takes a phenomenal amount of discipline to grind out buyins that are much lower than your skill level, something that I am not able to do. If you want to have extra roll like S7S is proposing in his threads then that is awesome for you, it just has never been practical for me and I think it would be hard to go broke playing $10sngs on a $400 roll if you are a winning player at that level.I'd play the $10's if i lost 8 buyins I'd drop to the $5's and rinse and repeat everytime I got to $400.
Play the $10 9man and 18man SnGs. Really. 35 buyins is plenty at that level IMO. By playing $5 STTs you are unnecessarily sacrificing hourly equity.I think I need a break from PLO, at least for a few days. The beats are starting to get to me. I'll do a challenge with you. What are your conditions? Profit in a certain number of games (500? 300?), or a straight time race to a certain figure? I don't mind.
Come to gmail, we'll talk. PLO is killing me - I'm playing too tight cuz I know that two or three beats will destroy me.

Don't be in such a huge rush to play bigger limits. If you don't have at least a couple years of experience grinding sngs, start with $5, play 300, and see how you feel, how you're playing etc. If you're kicking ass (ITM - 50, ROI - 20 per cent or more) feel free to move up, to $10 sngs.Play 500 of them. same stats? Move up.Building a roll is a great, but so is becoming a better player. If you're going to be hacking at the sngs for a while, really focus on your game. There's a basic sng strategy, I'm sure you're familiar with it. But after that, it's about finding tiny edges that can turn 3rds into 2nds and 2nds into 1sts.I keep track of every sng I play, and evaluate my play after every 10 I play and crunch the numbers after every 100. I also usually keep track of how I busted out and any hands I misplayed. I play small - worked up from $1 to enough to very comfortable play $2.40 on AP.I mean, it's your roll:) But I would start off small, and work my way up based on my results, not just based on bankroll.

Ok guys - there are some sick tourney guru's here. I want to build a bankroll. Here's what I'm proposing to do. I have about $400 in fulltilt right now. I've been playing plo severely out of my roll for a week or two, and have been lucky so far not to run badly. I want to give sit n' go's a shot for this coming week. I will NOT play outside of what I'm rolled for - nothing I have less than 50 buyins for, so that leaves me with the 2's and 5's pretty much.A few things I would like some input on from the forum areI) What are your thoughts on tourney size - should I play 6-9-18 player ones to start - mix them up, etc?Like tskillz said 6man sngs are usually vvv soft, but If you are more comfortable with 9man sngs then I would play these.II) What is the best way to track my progress? What do you guys use?Use Cwiks spreadsheet to track sngs IMO. Works welll. It's in 'Poker tools and resources' I think in general strat.III) Do my bankroll conditions sound about right? Should I be sticking to the $2's only, or are the $5's reasonable at this point as well?I'd be playin the $10s at least if I were you, this idea sounds good "I'd play the $10's if i lost 8 buyins I'd drop to the $5's and rinse and repeat everytime I got to $400."IV) How many tourneys is a reasonable sample size to know if I can make any money at it? Is the rake (10% I think) too oppressive?3-500? I'd guess after 300 you'd have a rough idea. I honestly think if you can't make money at the $10 sngs, where it's all essentially maths anyway, then you will struggle to be a winning player at anything.And anything else you can think of that might help me out here....PAHUD, SNGPT, 2+2 STT forum (sorry Zach!)Anyone else want to join? We can race to $1k or something like that for fun.I would have done this like 2 weeks ago but I've just discovered playin cash games seriously and I now hate sngs. Good luck!

Ok, I'm doing a challenge with bdc30.Starting stats (damn those $1k HUs):sngchallengeyi6.jpguntitled2ih8.jpgOk, here's the challenge:250 sitngos of buyin $11+1 or less, be they 2, 6, 9, 18, 45, 90 or 180 player.Total profit at the end marks the winner, judged by Sharkscope results (there's a little bit of trust needed here, but we should be fine). If sharkscope misses a result then that's just tough luck with variance.Winner gets $45 shipped by the loser (payout for 1st in a $10 9man).Deadline is September 30th, although that is relatively flexible (it can shoot into October if necessary). If the 250 havent been played by 17th October (2 months time) then you lose the bet, no excuses, no exceptions. Unless it's a really really good excuse.I think that's about it.

Can I get in on the challenge too?
Yeah, no problem. I assume we can trust you to keep the buyins below $12 for your next 250 tourneys?Also, pm me your AIM/MSN, just so we can keep track, etc.There's no need to ship the winnings for someone to hold. Noone is going to welch on $45 I wouldn't have thought.************************************************Challenge is now closed. Just the 3 of us.

Simo and I have conferred, and yes, you're in - do you have msn or aim??Pm me and simo your sn's if you want. Lets see 3 big roi's a month and a half from now.

Yeah, no problem. I assume we can trust you to keep the buyins below $12 for your next 250 tourneys?
Yeah, I have never even played one above $10 buy in. ;-)
Also, pm me your AIM/MSN, just so we can keep track, etc.
I have neither of these installed, but can do that.
Name it.
O/U on total profit? If I was bettin I'd probably bet on you to win this bet to be honest....(no offense guys but Simo has a star next to him on sharkscope ZOMG!!)
O/U on total profit? If I was bettin I'd probably bet on you to win this bet to be honest....(no offense guys but Simo has a star next to him on sharkscope ZOMG!!)
I've never really played sitngos. At least, I've never played any volume that would definitively say I'm particularly profitable. The star is for $5 Stud HU's. It took about 10 net wins to get on the leaderboard and then I figured why not keep going. It was the cheapest way to get a shiny accolade. :club: So yeah, just give me a few bets.

Sharkscope is good for getting a general indication of a players performance, but is unreliable. I know it is missing a bunch of my results.How do I know this? I use PokerTracker to track all hand histories so not only can you track top line performance, but get very detailed analysis on my (and my opponents) play. If you add PokerAce, it will even display your opponents tendencies right on the table.Any serious poker player who is not using PokerTracker is like a university student doing research in the library with the lights out...

Well, I see this is starting out well. Here are the two hands that crippled me out of the two tourneys I played this morning.Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem TournamentBlinds: t100/t2007 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: t2800UTG+1: t770MP1: t2055CO: t1490Button: t2190SB: t1330Hero: t2865Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is BB with 3 :) T :icon_dance: UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t200 (pot was t300), 2 folds, Button calls t200 (pot was t500), SB folds, Hero checks.Flop: T :) 3 :club: 4 :icon_dance: (t700, 3 players)Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets t600, Hero calls t600 (pot was t1300), UTG+1 calls all-in t570.Turn: 6 :D (t2470, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: t2410, Sidepot 1: t60)Hero is all-in t2065, Button calls all-in t1390.Uncalled bets: t675 returned to Hero. River: 4 :D (t5250, 0 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: t2410, Sidepot 1: t2840)Results:Final pot: t5250Button showed As TdHero showed 3h TcUTG+1 showed Ah 9hcards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EVTc 3h 34 80.95 8 19.05 0 0.00 0.810As Td 8 19.05 34 80.95 0 0.00 0.190Ah 9h 0 0.00 42 100.00 0 0.00 0.000andFull Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem TournamentBlinds: t25/t508 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: t5435Hero: t1350MP1: t1640MP2: t1950CO: t565Button: t1390SB: t1205BB: t1540Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Q :) Q :icon_dance: UTG folds, Hero raises to t250, 4 folds, SB raises to t450, BB folds, Hero raises all-in t1350, SB calls all-in t755.Uncalled bets: t145 returned to Hero. Flop: J :D 4 :icon_dance: 5 :icon_dance: (t1305, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: t2460)Turn: A :icon_dance: (t1305, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: t2460)River: 4 :D (t1305, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: t2460)Results:Final pot: t1305Hero showed Qh QcSB showed Ad Tccards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EVQc Qh 1223063 71.43 482648 28.19 6593 0.39 0.716Tc Ad 482648 28.19 1223063 71.43 6593 0.39 0.2842 tourneys played, lost a 70/30 and an 80/20. Beautiful

Brought it back a bit - 3rd in a 9 player $6 for $10, and won a 6 player $6 for $23, so I think I'm up $4 for the morning. Looks like we'll have some work to do though, Simo off to a good start in the $10 18man that I bricked out of on the QQ<AT hand. Gl Mark!!

Full Tilt Poker Game #3278706104: $10 + $1 Sit & Go (25069912), Table 1 - 250/500 - No Limit Hold'em - 8:49:23 ET - 2007/08/17Seat 2: Simo123 (18,920)Seat 4: Kat QQ (8,080)Simo123 posts the small blind of 250Kat QQ posts the big blind of 500The button is in seat #2*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Simo123 [8c 8h]Simo123 calls 250Kat QQ checks*** FLOP *** [9h 9d 8s]Kat QQ bets 7,580, and is all inSimo123 calls 7,580Kat QQ shows [7s Td]Simo123 shows [8c 8h]*** TURN *** [9h 9d 8s] [5c]*** RIVER *** [9h 9d 8s 5c] [6d]Kat QQ shows a straight, Ten highSimo123 shows a full house, Eights full of NinesSimo123 wins the pot (16,160) with a full house, Eights full of NinesKat QQ stands upSimo123 stands up*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 16,160 | Rake 0Board: [9h 9d 8s 5c 6d]Seat 2: Simo123 (small blind) showed [8c 8h] and won (16,160) with a full house, Eights full of NinesSeat 4: Kat QQ (big blind) showed [7s Td] and lost with a straight, Ten highWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeUpdate:Played: 1Profit: $61