This is probably a stupid question for all the obvious reasons, but I would like to hear about various tells people have on others. Not sure if it would be appropriate or wise to state names. Seems like a beneficial topic for all including those targeted. So with that said I will disclose my own personal tell in case you ever make it to spokane washington you can beat up on me. Here goes. When I am bluffing I have noticed that right before i throw my chips in my fingered hand seems to become possessed and inevitibly tuns up toward the sky in this weird sort of way. I know I do this but I continue to catch myself making the gesture, I'm working on it.Now here is one for all you highrollers. Listen to masters laugh when he has the nuts compared to when he's making his all in move with the 2-7. I f youlisten closely you will notice the intonation in his voice change, it is usually prefaced with the "FULL MEAL DEAL BABY" I hope this is o.k. to post and doesn't sound arrogant, this was not the intention, and I'm sure men isn't to worried that mark murillo from spokane thinks he has a read on him. I've seen keena james's post here so here is one for him. seems like you get real chatty when you got the nuts, but it gets real quiet when you bluff. kenna seems like a real gentle man and fierce competitor so keep it up and maybe someday I'll make it up to your level and we can talk about this post and laugh.

I will make sure to look you up while in washington. :wink: If you have picked up a tell on Minh Nguyen well, all I can say is that he has you right where he wants you. Minh can mix up what you percieve about him when ever he wants.More on that point. I have not found many tells that can actually span the masses. In other words, a tell on one person is sometimes the opposite on another.A large audible exhale while throwing a large amount of chips. For the unskilled player (doing this), you can bet that this is a bluff or the player is giving up ready to leave. For an even mediocre player its very hard to tell. Keep an eye out, it means something different for each player.Shaking hands while making a raise. I will leave this one up to suggestions, but again, I believe that this one is way to general and controllable to call a tell. You may be able to read a very week player with shakey hands, but then again, they may have just had to much coffee.

Perhaps you should read Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells, It lets you in on most "general" reads for players you don't know. I guess the easiest tells for playing against newer players (Once again, I consider anyone playing under 2-3 years new) Would be the followingStop talking when they get an important hand (pay attention to this one with people who talk a lot, its VERY obvious)They are holding the amount of chips someone else bet, this tell is something they don't realize they are doing, don't make it obvious that you're looking at this before making your decision.Change in tone of voice, Change in Physical Stature (slumping/leaning forward)Anything specific with players in your own game, takes time, and sometimes money to find out. By that I mean if you think you've got a read on them, even if its one for a strong hand, you may want to consider paying off a minimal bet to see whether or not you were right.

Agreed, Mike Caro's book of tells is a good read.As for reads I notice not mentioned in the book. Watch people's Jaws and hands. I notice a few players that clench there jaw when they bluff. It may be a quick bite down or it make be clenched through the whole round of betting. But because i've noticed it on more than one player so I stored it in my memory. The hands are the secret to impatience. People will rub there fingers together or tap on the table. They just cant quit moving their hands when they have the goods. It's like: "hurry up and call so I can take your money." The moving of hands works opposite for the ADD type people, like me, that are always moving. If this is the case...when they stop moving they have the goods.Everyone has their "tell". I have to completely stop shuffling chips when i'm in a hand. For some reason it's a dead give away. The speed I think. But even when I try to control it, it seems obvious where I stand.

I agree with the the above. I watch jaws and hands a lot. If its a seriously huge pot or hand, I may drag out my decision to see if sweat beads up on the temples while playing with what would be a huge raise stack of chips (works well on newer people). Like he said, we all have tells, whether or not you realize it. I try to minimize mine by following the same routine with each hand. And not moving out of the physical position I was in before the deal, after the deal and until I am out of the hand. I keep the same tempo if possible. IE I will take as long to fold 72os as I will take to raise AA. I am afraid however, that if I were to ever get a royal flush (a hand that has eluded me in 10 years of play) I probably would lose all composure and make no money with it. :)Justin

I was referring to men not minh and do not feel I have some great read on the guy, it was just a casual observation . I agree with the frisco kid about the pros being able toswitch gears and possibly being able to "get you right where they want you" but I think it is imperitive to have as much info as possible so when the time arises for your educated guess it comes out more as intuitive knowledge. One thing I've learned that does'nt naturally fit into my game but try to incorprate at times is the wait wait wait move when someone comes over the top then wait wait wait, then look your opponent square, open heart, open arms. this is when caro's genius reaaly comes through for me.