Tournament Nl - 9 Handed Vs. 10?

So I was reading Daniel's blog about the problems in the World Poker Finals and his #4 issue was:"10 handed play. No limit hold'em tournament should be nine handed. Having said that, due to an increased number of players many venues start out with 10 players and then go down to 9 as seats become available. At some point, though, all is returned to normal and play becomes 9 handed. Not at Foxwoods. Here, they simply play 10 handed all the way down to the very end."I haven't played many big events but in almost all the smaller events I have played in the tables are 10 handed down to the final table. The WSOP is like this. Right? I know the "cheaper" WSOP events, all I have ever played, are 10 handed even deep (never been to a WSOP final table/fingers crossed for this year though). Anyway, I wanted to know why 9 handed is better than 10. Or why 9 handed is the right number as Daniel says. I am curious, and Daniel seems adamant so I figure there is something to the whole thing. I am aware of some of the different dynamics with 9 vs. 10 but just wanted input on why 9 is the right way.Thanks.

All I have to say is I've played in WSOP events that started 11 handed and had alternates keeping the tables 11 handed for the first few levels. Not a whole lot of fun when they're the lower limit starting stacks. I believe that 9-handed allows for a little more "play" than 10 handed - sort of like 6-handed vs. 5-handed, different game.

All I have to say is I've played in WSOP events that started 11 handed and had alternates keeping the tables 11 handed for the first few levels. Not a whole lot of fun when they're the lower limit starting stacks. I believe that 9-handed allows for a little more "play" than 10 handed - sort of like 6-handed vs. 5-handed, different game.
The reason 9 handed is a better game than 10 is that it's a more skillful form of poker. Let me give you an extreme example: If you were playing a five handed game you'd be faced with lots of difficult decisions and be forced to be a player versus a watcher. Now suppose you were at a 20 handed table! So you pick up 99 in first position and have.... 19 people to act behind you! LOL. Would you play the hand?
The reason 9 handed is a better game than 10 is that it's a more skillful form of poker. Let me give you an extreme example: If you were playing a five handed game you'd be faced with lots of difficult decisions and be forced to be a player versus a watcher. Now suppose you were at a 20 handed table! So you pick up 99 in first position and have.... 19 people to act behind you! LOL. Would you play the hand?
so, DN, in your opinion, what is the sweetspot? should the wpt play it 6 max the whole way? 5 max?
Now suppose you were at a 20 handed table! So you pick up 99 in first position and have.... 19 people to act behind you! LOL. Would you play the hand?
They were talking about playing 20 handed tables at this year's WSOP because of all of the people there.Obviously, I'm kidding. But with all of the irregularities and problems there, it wouldn't be that unbelievable.
Well if 9 handed is so much better why is FCP played on a 10 handed table?? Do you not promote Full Contact Poker site DN? Is this not a little hypocritical of you?
LOL. As much as the OP may come off snide, it's a good point. But I'll assume the reason why FCP was 10 handed is because PokerRoom, the first skin used for FCP, used 10 handed tables for their ring games and tournies and that couldn't be changed in the software.
Now suppose you were at a 20 handed table! So you pick up 99 in first position and have.... 19 people to act behind you! LOL. Would you play the hand?
All In?Is this a quiz?I mean I got two chances for a flush, two straight flush possibilities, back door straight draws, and a pair....what are you waiting for?

I like 9 handed vs ten hand for the simple reason I dont' feel so damn squeezed in at the table. I beleive most the tables were designed for 9 players thus making it uncomfortable.Also it is a common complaint of players when play is 11 handed and thats just one more then 10 so DN likeing 9 handed probably makes sense in the same way as most hating 11.