107 replies to this topic

#41 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

View PostUntilted, on 01 July 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

I don't know how the announcers are in Canada but the US ones are borderline unlistenable

This afternoon, we have an over/under on how many times this one guy says "Quality" in a match

They’re all British for some reason.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#42 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 49,899 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

What a crazy tournament
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#43 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,899 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

It just keeps on getting better.

#44 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

Another crazy game. Was really pulling for Japan, so brazil would have an easier (maybe) road. Brazil/Belgium will be good though.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#45 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,573 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

Its the first sport I ever played and fell in love with, and I see a lot wrong with football/soccer today, but at the end of the day, absolutely nothing beats this tournament in terms of drama, because nothing else comes even close to being this important to so many people in the world.

What a game today between Belgium and Japan. You want to initiate someone into soccer, show them this game to see what can be so much fun about it,

#46 iBeaver

iBeaver

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostZach6668, on 02 July 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Another crazy game. Was really pulling for Japan, so brazil would have an easier (maybe) road. Brazil/Belgium will be good though.

Eww. I think Uruguay is the only South American team I can stomach watching. Was so glad Argentina got knocked out and I wanted Brazil out so bad. The SA style of excessive flopping, dirty play, and whining ruins those games for me.

I wanted Japan to win so bad. I had to go pick up Jin at camp and found the game on Sirrus. It was 2-0 when we got out of the car. By the time I came in, got his snack, and sat down it was 2-2.

Go Croatia or France.

#47 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

My Belgium future are alive

#48 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

I kind of agree with you Steve. Even Brazil (well, mostly Neymar) has become this flopping/diving crap.
Uruguay seems to be ok, though Suarez has issues with not spitting on people.

France is always my rooting interest because we have family there and long ago they had 2 Armenians on their team, and I was rooting for them, and they won it all.
Since then its been pretty dry.

Also, have a soft spot for Uruguay, cause they were the first country to recognize the Armenian Genocide.

Ya, if you didnt know by now, I choose my sports teams in the strangest of ways. Go Whalers!

#49 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,899 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 02 July 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

I kind of agree with you Steve. Even Brazil (well, mostly Neymar) has become this flopping/diving crap.

France is always my rooting interest because we have family there and long ago they had 2 Armenians on their team, and I was rooting for them, and they won it all.

Also, have a soft spot for Uruguay, cause they were the first country to recognize the Armenian Genocide.

Ya, if you didnt know by now, I choose my sports teams in the strangest of ways. Go Whalers!

Hmm..I dont have any horses in this field..However I like this angle..Go Uruguay

#50 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostBabying, on 02 July 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

My Belgium future are alive

Go Belgium

#51 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 27,696 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

https://twitter.com/...805376339259393
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#52 serge

serge

• Members
  • 49,899 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

Another crazy game

#53 Untilted

Untilted

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, POKER, MUSIC

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Crap.

Sure looked like Colombia intimidated and influenced the referee after the penalty kick which was beyond well deserved
Happy Trails

John ( UntiLTed, Broadway or whatever)

#54 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

Go England!

That was an incredibly tense Penalty shootout.

#55 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 38,723 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

A whole lot of people in this world could learn a thing or two from the Japanese team.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#56 Untilted

Untilted

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on 03 July 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

A whole lot of people in this world could learn a thing or two from the Japanese team.

Saw that. Great to see a team having respect for themselves, the game and other people

Instead of flopping around like you have been shot when someone breaths on you. I hate the win at all costs mentality. I bet Maradona has never lost a second of sleep after he deliberatly used a hand to score a crucial World Cup Goal. The end justifies the means

South American countries are the masters at embellishment but its a problem all over the world. I used to love to watching Arjen Robben (Netherlands), until he started diving every chance he got to draw a penalty.
Happy Trails

#57 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:33 AM

agree with a lot of what you said John, but Im not sure south americans are the masters of embellishment. If I recall correctly, the Brazilians were never like this, or never like what Neymar does. Even Mexico seems a little crude with this stuff, especially when you watch their club teams play.

The one country that really dissapointed me in my lifetime was Italy. Their Serie A and then in turn their national team became divers and soft play, and in time, it hurt their ability to win on the international stage. When I used to watch a lot (10-15yrs ago), Serie A became more and more about dives and Premiership was strong, hard play. I honestly dont watch either that much anymore, but I imagine its still similar.

All that said, Japan's team is first class. The pics of the way the room looked, the way they conducted themselves. ALL CLASS!

#58 Untilted

Untilted

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 04 July 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

agree with a lot of what you said John, but Im not sure south americans are the masters of embellishment. If I recall correctly, the Brazilians were never like this, or never like what Neymar does.
The one country that really dissapointed me in my lifetime was Italy. Their Serie A and then in turn their national team became divers and soft play, and in time, it hurt their abilities. When I used to watch a lot (10-15yrs ago), Serie A was all dives and Premiership was strong, hard play. I honestly dont watch that much anymore, but I imagine its still similar.

All that said, Japan's team is first class. The pics of the way the room looked, the way they conducted themselves. ALL CLASS!

You are right about Brazil. Neymar's antics have overshadowed there history. I watch a lot of South American qualifying because I have family from Peru.
Peru, Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay are atrocious
I agree with your comment about Italy. They are certainly at that level
Happy Trails

#59 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

I thought I read a quote from the Japanese coach that said during friendlies this year against European teams, they had put players in the “wrong” jerseys at times to hurt th other teams scouting, since Europeans tend to have difficulty telling Asians apart. I think that is hilarious gamesmanship and I am all for it.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#60 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 04 July 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

I thought I read a quote from the Japanese coach that said during friendlies this year against European teams, they had put players in the “wrong” jerseys at times to hurt th other teams scouting, since Europeans tend to have difficulty telling Asians apart. I think that is hilarious gamesmanship and I am all for it.

I find this very disturbing. Can’t tell the difference? It was the Korean team

https://www.sbnation...-jersey-numbers

I know a lot of people say there is no difference between Asian cultures etc. I will say that yes there is. This can be borderline racism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users