• Please log in to reply
1908 replies to this topic

#1861 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

clearly you haven't seen side effects or unsane. great, great movies that you need to watch immediately.

View PostRon_Mexico, on 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#1862 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,448 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

View Postbrvheart, on 05 July 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Have you seen the Director's Cut where Kris Kristofferson is completely deleted from the film, the bad "guy" is a woman, and there is no explosion at the end? It's horrible. I LOVE payback, and couldn't believe how much the director wanted changed. As a rule, I'm usually on the side of directors, but wow, I'm thankful for a bunch of EP's on that one. Payback is one of my favorite movies.
I have not. It has actually been probably 15 years since I watched it...need to watch it again.

View Postbrvheart, on 05 July 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Out of Sight has no business being anywhere below #1, obviously, but SS hasn't made 5 good movies, let alone 10. I did like Traffic a lot, and EB is a good movie.
Out of Sight is my second favorite movie of all time, so I'd agree.

(I also agree with Essay that I need to see some more of his movies though.)

#1863 Untilted

Untilted

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,715 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, POKER, MUSIC

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

View Postbrvheart, on 05 July 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Out of Sight has no business being anywhere below #1, obviously, but SS hasn't made 5 good movies, let alone 10. I did like Traffic a lot, and EB is a good movie.

I thought we had this conversation before
Happy Trails

John ( UntiLTed, Broadway or whatever)

#1864 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostUntilted, on 05 July 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I thought we had this conversation before

that's a demerit for thinking.

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#1865 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,279 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

Essay's Top Ten Dramatic TV Shows [All Time, Updated after Westworld shit the bed]

1. Game of Thrones
2. The Wire
3. The Sopranos
4. Breaking Bad
5. Deadwood
6. Justified
7. Mad Men
8. The Shield
9. Fargo
10. LOST

#1866 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,981 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

I watched out of sight this weekend, based on the hype from this thread. Meh.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#1867 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

Clooney in the bath tub though?

#1868 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

The beginning heist is great, the narrative structure is complex but followable, the acting and dialogue are overall fun, the cinematography sets the moods, the banter between Clooney/Lopez is great in most of their scenes, and it has potentially the best love scene ever.

#1869 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,648 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 09 July 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

I watched out of sight this weekend, based on the hype from this thread. Meh.

It is very chick-flicky, so I get that. But remember, this movie came out in like 1997 or something. The narrative was fairly unique as it was post-Pulp Fiction but pre-Memento and others.

How would you rank the only three movies SS has made worth ranking? (Traffic, Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich)

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

#1870 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:30 PM

Thatís a citation for Brvy. What were you thinking?

#1871 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,981 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

View Postbrvheart, on 10 July 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

It is very chick-flicky, so I get that. But remember, this movie came out in like 1997 or something. The narrative was fairly unique as it was post-Pulp Fiction but pre-Memento and others.

How would you rank the only three movies SS has made worth ranking? (Traffic, Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich)

Um, I'd rate The Limey, Ocean's 11, sex lies and video tape, the informant and the girl friend experience ahead of all of those. I haven't seen the Che's, which I'm curious about, and a couple of the others. Over all, I'm not a big soderbergh guy. I think the knick is the best thing he's done.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#1872 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,981 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

I thought Out of Sight was Tarantino-ish, but without all the shit that makes Tarantino good, IE hilarious dialog and beautifully shot movies with hilarious and shocking violence. Just having a non-linear plot and an attitude doesn't cut it.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#1873 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,279 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:47 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 10 July 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

Um, I'd rate The Limey, Ocean's 11, sex lies and video tape, the informant and the girl friend experience ahead of all of those. I haven't seen the Che's, which I'm curious about, and a couple of the others. Over all, I'm not a big soderbergh guy. I think the knick is the best thing he's done.

Demerit!

#1874 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,648 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 10 July 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

In my defense, I haven't seen The Limey, SL&VT, The Informant, TGFEX, Che's, or The Knick. So I might agree with you if I had. I disagree that Oceans 11 is better than Traffic, and it's pretty shocking to hear you say that, but I guess it's ok to have differing opinions.

Completely agree about not being a Soderbergh guy. He's below average as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Out of Sight is concerned, I don't think it's just the non-linear timeline that makes it good. I enjoyed the pace and GC's acting quite a bit. It's not as good as Michael Clayton, but not much is.

#1875 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

Side effects is pretty good IMO

#1876 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,648 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

Haven't seen that either.

#1877 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostDubey, on 11 July 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

Side effects is pretty good IMO

Itís a great movie.

#1878 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,981 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

View Postbrvheart, on 11 July 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

In my defense, I haven't seen The Limey, SL&VT, The Informant, TGFEX, Che's, or The Knick. So I might agree with you if I had. I disagree that Oceans 11 is better than Traffic, and it's pretty shocking to hear you say that, but I guess it's ok to have differing opinions.

I think Traffic is a very ambitious movie, but I think it's reach exceeded it's grasp. I think it would have made a better prestige tv show than movie, because the issue it's diving into is extremely complex. There are parts of traffic that are well done, but overall the strokes are too broad.

Ocean's 11, while having none of the thematic weight of traffic, is exactly the movie it's trying to be.. a whimsical ensemble heist movie. I don't think traffic is as successful at being a nuisanced exploration on the war on drugs.

I will say, I like Traffic considerably more than out of sight. I haven't seen EB in ages but that kind of heart warming biopic is really never my jam.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#1879 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 10 July 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

I thought Out of Sight was Tarantino-ish, but without all the shit that makes Tarantino good, IE hilarious dialog and beautifully shot movies with hilarious and shocking violence. Just having a non-linear plot and an attitude doesn't cut it.
I agree that it feels a little like a Tarantino movie, but I actually like that it has more narrative coherence than something like Pulp Fiction (which feels all over the place). Also, Zahn's character is quite funny.

Posted Image

(I made this gif.)

#1880 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

lovable loser

• Members
  • 25,279 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Essay's Top Ten Characters from THE WIRE

1. Stringer Bell
2. Avon Barksdale
3. Bunk Moreland
4. McNulty
5. Cool Lester Smooth
6. Omar
7. Bubbles
8. Bodie
9. Marlo
10. Frank Sobotka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users