Vegas Golden Knights

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, this is the greatest hockey experience of my life...

Holy crap, I'm going to game 5. Of the Stanley Cup Finals. In Vegas.   What world am I living in?!?!?!?

Still thinking and smiling about being at game 5. I was really conflicted if it was worth all that money, but some good friends convinced me to do it, and frankly I had won the money in a hockey pool,

I've been on social media today saying this, but worth mentioning in here:

The knights removed all advertising from their rink boards for their home opener and replaced it with 'Vegas strong'. Tonight, for their home opener, of which there will be exactly one for all time, they dropped all the gala extravaganza and decided to just honour victims and first responders. They will do their 'official' grand opening on Friday. This is a class move for the ages, and one that deserves an awful lot of respect.

• Like 2

That was an amazing opening. Extremely classy move and how can you not cheer for this team.

Engelland the home town boy scores a goal to boot.

Is this team actually good?

I dont want to make too much of this week. Im going to stand by my pre season guess that these guys will battle teams like Vancouver for the bottom.

I had them at 27 wins, 6pts behind Van+Colorado.

But honestly, if I had to bet now, Id say 30wins is doable. I cant imagine this being even close to playoffs, but maybe they somehow gel much better than I would have guessed.

I dont think the team is short on talent, but that none of these guys ever really having played with each other should be a significant drawback, should it not?

All that said, LOVE IT! Love having this team in NHL, love the roster, love the look of the arena. I cant wait to see a game there

They're so fast. They've picked up a ton of guys who were kind of underused or maybe misused on their previous teams. Leipsic is a good example, and Neal is still a bonafide goal scorer. Lots of 2/3rd line tweeners, but if a couple of those guys progress into legit top 6 guys, their skill could take them pretty far.

I love that they don't have the traditional NHL fourth line. No need to waste ice time on a line that won't be able to do anything. They got a bunch of these younger guys who have potential to breakout, play fast, and have a knack for scoring.

They're hella fun to watch. I agree we can't put too much stock in this week, but it's been impressive (though they got outplayed heavily vs Dallas, IIRC, and Arizona is pretty bad...).

Both sets of unis look dope on the ice, too.

yes!

you're right, they are fast. The D has depth, the fwds are ok. And obv Fleury can be great.

I just think we will see the initial high of this new team wear off over time. whether this lasts another week, or 2/3, in time this team will start to lose games once the dog days of the NHL season are here. Other teams will start to bear down against them, not take them lightly, and Vegas' players wont have the same drive as they do now in all these "first" game situations.

(sorry, i dont want to be negative, I hope they keep winning!)

Interesting team. I watched them some in preseason and now have watched all of their games. Scoring depth is an issue. But they are playing a very aggressive forecheck, and come up the ice fast. Teams will make mistakes playing them. Their D is average at best, but they're playing a nice team system that seems to mitigate that a bit. Fleury has been on another planet. Can they keep it up? No. but they're better than expected. In a playoff hockey scenario (not saying they will make the playoffs, but referring to the style and intensity of playoff hockey), they will get exposed. Not deep enough, and most teams roll four lines, knights dont. But overall, very impressive for an expansion team. And they are doing EVERYTHING right in the marketing department. Their Twitter is a must follow. Lol

Things to consider:

1) The team that is 3-0 currently isn't even the best team we could ice right now. Vadim Shipachov, Shea Theodore, and Alex Tuch were all demoted because they can't be claimed on waivers, while George McPhee tries to milk out some value for an overcrowded defense. Luca Sbisa, John Merrill, and Clayton Stoner were all guys acquired at the expansion draft and sending them down could mean they get claimed and you get no value for them. At some point McPhee just needs to cut his losses, because Theodore belongs in the NHL now and Shipachov is NOT happy coming over from the KHL at 30 to play in the minors. In fact, he won't report and wants to go home. This is a bit of a shit show, but since the team is winning that likely means the issue won't be resolved quickly.

2)The defense. Its good. The PK was quite good in all 3 games and we have a good core that could be part of this teams future- Nate Schmidt, Colin Miller, Brayden McNabb, and Shea Theodore. The rest of the group is a no frills, solid, responsible group. Not flashy, but above average dmen.

3) The 4th line. This team was built via a group of 3rd line players. Our 3rd and 4th line combo is among the top end of the league as a result. I keep getting shit for my Tomas Nosek love doing local radio here, but he is always in the right place! Not giving the puck away, finishing checks, and has had several chances to score in limited ice time and got one last night.

4) Fleury. He didn't have a defense to play behind in Pittsburgh of late that looked like this one. While the Pens won the cup, they didn't do it via a stellar back end, they won in spite of it. Fleury can't keep up this pace but I don't see him falling off a cliff at any point this season.

5) The Power Play. It has struggled, but I like what Gallant is trying to do with it. We don't have high end skill to depend on so puck movement is paramount and this team really does move the puck well on the PP. Quick passing is creating lots of open point shots for the D who I expect to score a lot for this team. Someone needs to score other than James Neal!

Daniel, would be curious to know your thoughts on the experience at the game yesterday, in terms of fan experience.

How is the arena? (it looks amazing, and I guess now with preseason you've seen a few games there?)

What is the crowd like? I'm assuming you cant really tell yet if its all local vs tourist?

I don't imagine you can answer this, but I would be curious to know of the crowd that is local, how many of them are actually transplanted northeners that now live in Vegas, ie Canada/Northern US states. I wonder if there are a lot of people new to hockey.

I guess the other issue is, can you even read anything into it with everything thats happened the last 10 days?

My parents ae in Vegas right now and my dad said he is seeing Golden Knights jerseys everywhere

Thats pretty cool.

Also, I will +1 what Chris said. I totally agree with the class in which this franchise has gone about their business so far. I like it.

And yes, their twitter feed is hilarious.

While the crowd is still clearly learning the game the energy was truly amazing and I would guess the percentage of locals for the opener was extremely high. Obviously it started out with the emotional ceremony and 58 seconds where you could here a pin drop. In my section during the preseason I was essentially "teaching" people around me what icing was, etc. but they are learning fast.

Lots of jerseys around town for sure. I also did two different post game radio shows, one right outside at the Beerhaus and then later at the Orleans with locals. The turnout at Orleans wasn't "great" but its a start.

I also don't think people really understand how absurd this start is and there is some concern that they think this is normal so if we lose 8 straight they could be getting a reality check, but I don't think the support will wane honestly. Had many people at their first ever game saying they will come to every game.

The arena is perfectly located, parking and leaving is surprisingly efficient. Security lines getting in were a problem, took about 15 minutes but supposedly they are working on it. Lots of fun stuff and tailgating around the arena before the event. Corn hole, hockey sticks, fun games all around there.

Overall A+ atmosphere for the opener. Friday is the "true" opener since they put aside much of what they had originally planned to keep the focus on the community after the tragedy which I think they handled perfectly. Home run with Englend and his speech.

Daniel, would be curious to know your thoughts on the experience at the game yesterday, in terms of fan experience.

How is the arena? (it looks amazing, and I guess now with preseason you've seen a few games there?)

What is the crowd like? I'm assuming you cant really tell yet if its all local vs tourist?

I don't imagine you can answer this, but I would be curious to know of the crowd that is local, how many of them are actually transplanted northeners that now live in Vegas, ie Canada/Northern US states. I wonder if there are a lot of people new to hockey.

I guess the other issue is, can you even read anything into it with everything thats happened the last 10 days?

A friend of mine is going in Nov and tried to find tix to LAK at LVK. Min $200/per for lower bowl, $90+ upper bowl.

I know him, he'll spend it for hockey, but he was shocked it was so much.

I told him Im assuming a lot of that has to do with LAK being in town too, but for first year at least it should be a hard ticket to get at cost no matter who.

Sevag just texted me that Leafs game is $105 for Td cheapest seats.

Secondary market.

Will be interesting to see what happens after the team starts losing 6-7 in a row. I think they still will have interest.

One my friends here is buddies with Deryk Engelland. He was able to get a Golden Knights Jersey autographed by the whole team. Inaugural roster. We are having a fundraiser at the Fresno Monsters game.

How much do you think this is worth? Wayne?