Ahl Shortstackers - 19/20 and 20/21 AHL CHAMPIONS

Figured that since the season started, I might as well start a thread.Here's the current roster:y8MKYolBMV6cBNliB0ec.jpgRRKhLgi2S5Y1Pu0Zi8ES.jpgThe farm is negligible and I don't even have a draft pick until 2011. Players in red are on the reserve list.We're in the Big M's division, and although beating them is surely impossible, we'll be trying to hold off the Ingmen and Greaseballs for 2nd in the division.For comparison purposes, this is the team I inherited in the summer, before re-signing players, and making a handful of trades.:NcgSY1By7HlxZ8L9mA4w.jpg

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been toying around some more about what I think my roster may look like over the next few years, focusing on next season, and what I'll look like going into the auction.   It's very likely that I'm

Dale, a smart rule to go by in negotiations is to offer the other party what they do not have.   Based on his write up above, I would suggest a good starting point would be to offer Zach a years sup

we all do. even the professionals get it wrong.   Id much rather be the type of person who gets it right+wrong, then the ones who just dont do anything unless its a totally obvious move, or just are

Oct 3, 2009 - W 6.5-1.5 over the SwackersWe started off our AHL dynasty on the right foot with a big win. On a 15-game night we were able to ice our best lineup, which consisted of forwards Ilya Kovalcuk, Brad Richards, Andy McDonald, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ales Hemsky and Milan Hejduk, as well as defensemen Duncan Keith, Jaroslav Spacek, Fedor Tyutin and Keith Yandle. Only Hemsky and Yandle were held off the board, while Kovalchuk led the way with 2 goals and an assist. The Stars goalies started for us, and it was the best decision, allowing only 3 goals (one being the extra shootout 'goal'), while Ottawa allowed 5, and the Isles allowed 4.Our next game is on the 6th, where we face off against the division rival Big M's. Unfortunately, on the 6-game night, we're icing a short lineup, with only 5 forwards and 3 defenseman, but the choice of either Dallas or Ottawa goaltenders. To make matters worse, the Capitals play, which means Mike Green and Alex Ovechkin will be starting for the Big M's. Going to be a very tough one to win.

Oct 6, 2009 - L 5.5-(-0.5) to the Big M'sLet's just put it this way... I had an open spot at forward and another on defense, and Bob had Gomez and Beachemin on the bench.============================Lineup help needed for Oct 8th game:My top 5 forwards:KovalchukHemskyHejdukMcDonaldLangenbrunnerI need to fit a 6th in there.The guys in the running are:Petr Sykora @ LAK - playing on the 2nd or 3rd line in Minny, depending on how you want to rank them, with Nolan and either Bouchard or Belanger, depending on whether Bouchard is healthy or not. Get's PP time, and is a master on the PP.David Moss @ EDM - Skating with Iginla and Jokinen, and gets PP time.Drew Stafford vs PHO - Was supposed to be in the top 6 on a line with Vanek, but it looks like he spent some time on the 3rd or 4th line in the first game. Should be his breakout year, but things have started slowly.Any thoughts?Also, my goalie options are the Islanders who play in Ottawa, or Ottawa who host the Isles. It's Ottawa's home opener. Who would you go with there?

Oct 6, 2009 - L 5.5-(-0.5) to the Big M'sLet's just put it this way... I had an open spot at forward and another on defense, and Bob had Gomez and Beachemin on the bench.============================Lineup help needed for Oct 8th game:My top 5 forwards:KovalchukHemskyHejdukMcDonaldLangenbrunnerI need to fit a 6th in there.The guys in the running are:Petr Sykora @ LAK - playing on the 2nd or 3rd line in Minny, depending on how you want to rank them, with Nolan and either Bouchard or Belanger, depending on whether Bouchard is healthy or not. Get's PP time, and is a master on the PP.David Moss @ EDM - Skating with Iginla and Jokinen, and gets PP time.Drew Stafford vs PHO - Was supposed to be in the top 6 on a line with Vanek, but it looks like he spent some time on the 3rd or 4th line in the first game. Should be his breakout year, but things have started slowly.Any thoughts?Also, my goalie options are the Islanders who play in Ottawa, or Ottawa who host the Isles. It's Ottawa's home opener. Who would you go with there?
Ottawa, definitely.I also go with Moss over Sykora, but its close.
wow, I had no idea moss was playing top line.iginla/jokinen owners rejoice!
Apparently once he was traded from the Mustangs his play improved dramatically.

Interesting. The decision didn't end up mattering as Moss, Sykora, and Stafford were all shutout. The goalie decision turned out correct as the Sens won. I'm out of town and kinda boycotting the computer (but not the iPhone). I think I lost by 1 goal though. :club:

Back up to 3-3 after a big win last night.With only two forwards playing (Hejduk and McDonald), we managed to beat the division rival Ingmen 1.5 to -1.0. Goals by Hejduk and Duncan Keith sealed the victory, while goaltending played a major role. Ottawa continued to be solid allowing only 1 goal, meanwhile Wayne had no goalies counting for 5 against.

3 straight wins, including a dominating win over the previously undefeated Shoot Loose. 2 goals and an assist from Andy McDonald led the way to a 6.5 to -1.5 victory. Ilya Kovalchuk started the scoring early with 2 goals within the first 30 mins of the game, while Drew Stafford and Jamie Langenbrunner also chipped in with a goal apiece. Jaroslav Spacek added an assist. The team was sharp in all facets, as our Ottawa goalies allowed only 1 goal. Shoot Loose's pathetic showing amounted to a single Evgeni Malkin assist, while the Red Wings were dinged for 4 goals against.The Shortstackers continue to rise in the AHL's North division after a slow start. The win moves them to 5-3 on the season. Next game comes Wednesday against the feeble T-Birds.

My forwards came to play tonight:Kovalchuk GGRichards AAHemskey GAAAALangenbrunner ARegin AChimera GMy goalies did not come to play. Ottawa had 6 against, while the Isles and Stars, who were benched, both let in 5.Didn't matter though, I won 6.0 to 3.5 with the help of the late games, very much. Ty Mr. Hemsky.We improve to 6-3-1 over the first 10 games. The SO loss is the biggest disappointment ever, as I had a brain cramp and put Spacek in instead of Keith on Wednesday, while Spacek wasn't even playing. Keith of course notches a goal and an assist which would have given me the regulation win.4-0-1 in our last 5, though, and 5-1-1 in the last 7.

Need some help for Saturday's game. It's against the very good and very deep Eagles, and we need the win. To put it this way, he actually has the option of leaving a struggling Datsyuk or Getzlaf on the bench...So, anyways... my top 5 forwards should be locks:Ilya KovalchukBrad RichardsAles HemskyAndy McDonaldMilan HejdukI need to choose a 6th from the following:Jamie Langenbrunner @ Pittsburgh - Played last game with Parise and Zubrus, but was usually on the Parise/Zajac line before that. Has 2g, 3a in 8 gp. Pittsburgh is playing their 2nd of back to backs, but Johnson will get the start on Friday, while Fleury plays against New Jersey.Drew Stafford @ Tampa Bay - Playing on a line with Vanek and Roy. Has 2g, 2a in 7 games, but started slowly, seems to be coming around, and Buffalo is scoring a lot of goals lately.Cory Stillman @ Philly - Florida just isn't scoring goals. Has 1 assist in 7 games. Panthers will be playing their 2nd game in as many nights.Peter Regin vs Boston - Mostly playing with Foligno and Neil, but has a surprising 2g, 2a in 5 games played. I will be at this game, if it factors into anyone's decision, heh.Arron Asham vs Florida - Just picked him up, as he's playing with Richards and Gagne at the moment, has goals in 2 straight, but can't be counted on for production.Jason Chimera @ Anaheim - Scored a beauty last night, has 3 goals in 8 games. Plays on the 3rd line with Pahlsson and Dorsett.David Moss vs Edmonton - Would get a lot more consideration, but is injured and a toss up to play.Petr Sykora vs Carolina - Also injured, not sure if he's playing.Matt Cooke vs New Jersey - Plays on the best 3rd line in hockey with Kennedy and Staal, has 2g, 3a in 9 gp.Also, on defense, I need to pick 2 of the following:Fedor Tyutin @ AnaheimKeith Yandle vs Los AngelesJaroslav Spacek vs NY RangersLeading towards Spacek and Yandle, but Tyutin gets the highest % of his team's PP time of the 3, only 2 seconds behind Spacek in total PP time per game. Kent Huskins is also in the mix, as he has a higher pool ppg than either of the 3, and is playing @ Atlanta, but I doubt I can put him over any of these 3. Ironically, Keith and Girardi get the least amount of PP time of these 5 (not including Huskins), but have the most points by far.And, finally, goaltending:Ottawa vs BostonIslanders vs WashingtonDallas @ St. LouisLeaning towards Ottawa, even coming off the 6-goals they allowed tonight. I'll be at the game, so it'll give me good reason to cheer for the Sens. I'm also probably not facing any Bruins, which helps. I wouldn't be facing any Blues, either, but with McDonald in my lineup, I'd rather have his points count fully.Thanks for the thoughts.