My Card Collection

Just for shits and giggles I'll post some of my collection here from time to time.Here's a few autographs to get things started.EpicSigMarioLemieux.jpgEpicSignatureRayBourque.jpgSPAFWLucBourdon.jpgSPAFWAutoCareyPrice.jpgMauriceRichard.jpgJohnFergusonChannelSpecificAuto.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have day 1 complete at the Expo.   It was a very uneventful day since the turnout was low. I believe that the fight between 2 guys in the industry is going to get nasty and another show is going

Otto and I enjoy it. We spend the whole weekend together and have a blast. We don't make a lot of money from it. We only do it for the love of the hobby   Because of doing this we have met a lot

The show I think was a success. We had a regular win the signed derozan jersey. Thank god he won since 3 guys I have never seen came in at the last second. When the draw was over they left. Peopl

Pretty cool Dale, do you send your own cards to the players for signature, buy on Ebay, or just attend a lot of card shows?
I usually buy from ebay or trade. All those ones I posted so far (except the Rocket Richard one) are certified because that is the way Upper Deck or ITG released them. The Rocket Richard was sent to him and he signed it and returned it to me. There are a lot of players who will sign through the mail.Here are the book values of the cards above...Mario Lemieux - $200.00 - almost impossible to findRay Bourque - $80.00 - you can pick one up on ebay for about $40Luc Bourdon - $15.00 - they were selling for $30+ right after his deathCarey Price - $250.00 - ridiculously overpriced...you can get one on ebay for $80-$120Maurice Richard - ?John Ferguson - $40.00 - these are impossible to find
I usually buy from ebay or trade. All those ones I posted so far (except the Rocket Richard one) are certified because that is the way Upper Deck or ITG released them. The Rocket Richard was sent to him and he signed it and returned it to me. There are a lot of players who will sign through the mail.Here are the book values of the cards above...Mario Lemieux - $200.00 - almost impossible to findRay Bourque - $80.00 - you can pick one up on ebay for about $40Luc Bourdon - $15.00 - they were selling for $30+ right after his deathCarey Price - $250.00 - ridiculously overpriced...you can get one on ebay for $80-$120Maurice Richard - ?John Ferguson - $40.00 - these are impossible to find
Ill ship u a $100 for the whole lot..deal?

It's funny that you started this thread.For no reason whatsoever, I spent the last like 3 days seriously contemplating getting back into collecting cards. lolI used to love ripping open the packs and seeing what I could find. Obviously it's better to just buy singles, but whateva.Lots of fun.I have a huge collection already, but it's boxed up and buried in my Mom's basement now.My favorite cards are a Jagr autograph, Forsberg autograph, and a 1936 Hooley Smith (who?) card from the Montreal Maroons.I also had a bunch of complete sets, and a boatload of Pens cards, and lots of Pens autographs from my first trip there.

I always had way more fun with my NHL sticker books :club:
Ah nice...forgot about those.Pretty entertaining blog postingI remember bringing mine into school (92-93 edition I think) only to have it stolen by a classmate. Then the stupid kid brings it back to school like a month later to show it off. I made sure to write my name on the inside cover and believe it or not there was his name written under my name that's scratched out. He ended up having to go to the principal's office for that one and I got my sticker book back with a lot of holes filled in. :ts

i used to collect stickers too...and have maybe 10000 hockey cards from as early as 1981..I collected every fricking year except Lemieux rookie..BAD BEAT

For no reason whatsoever, I spent the last like 3 days seriously contemplating getting back into collecting cards. lol
For some fkin retarded reason, I did this a couple years back. I got a bit of an inheritance and just so happened that a card store opened up just near my house. Before I knew it, I was buying $25 a pack UD Trilogy's by the box. Pissed through more money than I even care to think about to be honest with you.Card collecting is retarded-expensive these days, and as Dale mentioned already "book" value for most cards is double what you can get them for on Ebay.They do have some nice shit these days with autographs and limited edition stuff, but it's impossible to get a complete set of anything.I do have a couple cool cards though (collecting dust pretty much, ldo) and if I get bored on my days off work maybe I'll scan some in and post here.

Don't buy packs. Don't. They're beyond -ev and well into the realm of just plain stupid. "Book value" is an absolute farce. Since the advent of ebay and the come-lately existence of a large, central market that arbitrates card prices in real time, the entire concept of a few guys at a publishing company arbitrarily setting prices is a dated (and laughable) concept. Sure, the idea that little cardboard pieces with pictures of athletes have "value" to begin with is a farce to begin with, but if they are to be valuated in some way, trust selling prices, not "price guide" prices.I'm a "returning" collector myself and I must admit, I'm a bit disgusted at what the hobby has become. Ridiculous "parallel" sets, too many brands and variants... It's next to impossible to collect new players with any sort of chance of ever being complete. I will admit that the autographed stuff is cool and I've picked some up (mainly of the old guys), but I think the "game used" thing has gone overboard and the "historic game used" cards that cut up Babe Ruth bats into little pieces border on being criminal, IMO. The hobby as far as newly produced cards has evolved into a totally illogical mess. For example, this Rosa Parks "cut" autograph card sold for more money than a comparable well certified autographed 8X10 picture, or even a complete, Rosa Parks signed document! There is no reason why a cut signature integrated into a little trading card should be more desirable than a complete signed document or an autographed picture, but such is the nature of the hobby nowadays. This is overlooking the fact that Rosa Parks cards in a sports card pack begs the question; WTF does this have to do with sports, anyway? Here are a couple tips that I've found have really helped me enjoy the hobby again:1) Do it for fun. Yes, people always preach this axiom about collecting, but it's easy to get caught up in the "value" of everything. Don't worry about that shit. The only "value" you need to know can be had with an ebay completed auctions search. If you want the card, buy it. If not, don't. Pay no mind to what it will be worth in the future, because by all indicators, it likely won't be much. 1) Stay away from packs. Seriously. They're a roulette wheel that pays 4-1 if you hit your number. Just an enormous suckers game. 2) Have focus. Understand what players you want to go after (as far as players from the past or players of today) and go after them. Don't waste your time with "trade bait" or buying crap that you don't want. 3) Think back to the players you enjoyed as a kid and consider collecting them. Right now, cards from the 70's, 80's and early 1990's are in the absolute doldrums of pricing. This presents great opportunities for people who lived in this era and remember those players fondly (and also remember how much some of these cards used to sell for). To give you an idea: I'm pretty much 100% complete as far as having every major baseball rookie card from 1970-1993 and it hasn't cost me that much. 4) Lay in for a stock of supplies up front. I decided to go with Pro Mold PC1 snap tites sheathed in team set bags for all my cards and ultra pro 1/4" recessed screwdowns for anything with a sale value above $200. Toploaders in penny sleeves are fine (and cheaper) too. Having a decent stock of supplies on hand will make your collecting life easier. 5) Make lists of what you have, what you paid and what you need. Card collecting can be overwhelming- the better handle you have on it, the more you will enjoy it. That's all. consider this your subscription to my newsletter.

• 4 weeks later...
I am a big fan of the old Kings jersey.
I like it too but I wonder if that's just nostalgia talking.EpicSigDionne.jpgMaybe I'd feel differently if I had to see it all the time.

Here's three I picked up in the last few weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy with them...especially happy with two of them.EpicSignaturesLarryRobinson.jpgEpicSignaturesMauriceRichard.jpgEpicSignaturesBobbyOrr.jpgI now only need two (Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe) to finish this set. Here's the others.