Bottom Set On A Monotone Flop

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 playersThe Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History ConverterCO: $48.25BTN: $99.10Hero (SB): $136.05BB: $49.15UTG: $29.60Pre Flop: Hero is SB with 2 :4h 2 :D2 folds, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.25, 1 foldFlop: ($3.50) 2 :club: 9 :ts 7 :D(2 players)Hero bets $2.75, BTN calls $2.75Turn: ($9.00) K :D(2 players)Hero bets $6.75, BTN raises to $13.50, Hero calls $6.75River: ($36.00) 4 :5c(2 players)Hero checks, BTN bets $18, Hero calls $18Villain is relatively new to the table, 33/29/7 over 28 hands.I shove turn if we're 100bb deep. Is river a b/f or c/c good against this opponent?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 playersThe Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History ConverterCO: $48.25BTN: $99.10Hero (SB): $136.05BB: $49.15UTG: $29.60Pre Flop: Hero is SB with 2 :4h 2 :D2 folds, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.25, 1 foldFlop: ($3.50) 2 :club: 9 :ts 7 :D(2 players)Hero bets $2.75, BTN calls $2.75Turn: ($9.00) K :D(2 players)Hero bets $6.75, BTN raises to $13.50, Hero calls $6.75River: ($36.00) 4 :5c(2 players)Hero checks, BTN bets $18, Hero calls $18Villain is relatively new to the table, 33/29/7 over 28 hands.I shove turn if we're 100bb deep. Is river a b/f or c/c good against this opponent?
Check call is best of course. We want him to bluff of another bet with Kd or Ad and betting rarely gets us called by worse. He's also pretty lag, so I like c/c for value.

what do you know about villainwhat are his tendenciesis he aggressive or passivedoes he usually bluff riase somewhere or value riasedoes he undervalue or overvalue his handswhat range of hands do you think he'll do this for value and how light will he call you

what do you know about villainwhat are his tendenciesis he aggressive or passivedoes he usually bluff riase somewhere or value riasedoes he undervalue or overvalue his handswhat range of hands do you think he'll do this for value and how light will he call you
I really don't know much about villain, at least nothing specific at this point. I have less than 30 hands on villain, so I don't even take the info I have on villain with much more than a grain of salt.
I really don't know much about villain, at least nothing specific at this point. I have less than 30 hands on villain, so I don't even take the info I have on villain with much more than a grain of salt.
that's a pity because you should be gathering as much information as you can, no matter the sample. If he played one medium sized pot or one big sized pot, you need to take those notes
that's a pity because you should be gathering as much information as you can, no matter the sample. If he played one medium sized pot or one big sized pot, you need to take those notes
It's kind of hard to pick up all of those things over just 28 hands. I mean, I take a LOT of notes, probably too many notes TBH, but rarely do I think you're in a situation where you can know all of the above in 30 hands. Sure you can have some idea, but without a decent sample, a fish can look like he knows what he is a doing and a great player can look like a spewtard.
Nothing that has stood out. If there was, I would have noticed.Like I said, 28 hands is nothing.I've had 30 hand stretches where I've played like 8/2 and 30 hand stretches where I've played 38/35. Now if I had 200 hands on villain, that would be different.
you can raise/fold river here
Is either play, c/c or b/f, significantly better than the other absent any sort of real reads?

I think this is a king with a big diamond a lot. Not that I would play it that way, but I see a lot of people take that approach. They're not sure if they're raising for value or not, so they just sort of compromise with the min raise. So I'd consider reraising the turn.

Is either play, c/c or b/f, significantly better than the other absent any sort of real reads?
i like c/r folding this deep, do you understand why?c/c is better imo than b/f though w/out reads
i like c/r folding this deep, do you understand why?c/c is better imo than b/f though w/out reads
Fold out small flushes? I can't imagine it being for value.
Fold out small flushes? I can't imagine it being for value.
wrong and it is for valuecome on, think of what he can raise on the turn. Don't just put him on one very tiny range. He's bad right? His range is wider than just "small flushes"

I like it. A bet on the river is bogging imo. I'd hate to get raised off the pot by Kd9x who thinks he has the best hand. And c/r never gets a call by anything we beat and NEVER folds out a flush. I don't think there's a 50NL player who has ever folded a flush on an unpaired board albeit 5-high or w/e.That said a turn re-raise would have been pant-tighteningly excellent.

I like it. A bet on the river is bogging imo. I'd hate to get raised off the pot by Kd9x who thinks he has the best hand. And c/r never gets a call by anything we beat and NEVER folds out a flush. I don't think there's a 50NL player who has ever folded a flush on an unpaired board albeit 5-high or w/e.That said a turn re-raise would have been pant-tighteningly excellent.
you sure about this? I feel like someone who's playing 50nl can't find the fold button w/tp or better

What about min-raise folding?He'll be getting 3.5:1 on a call, and assuming he's betting the river for value I don't think most people would be able to find a fold with whatever they have, and I don't think it's likely you'll get re-bluffed either.

What about min-raise folding?He'll be getting 3.5:1 on a call, and assuming he's betting the river for value I don't think most people would be able to find a fold with whatever they have, and I don't think it's likely you'll get re-bluffed either.
Not a fan at all. If his raising range is wider than just flushes, attack it for value

c/r fold? Say we put in a small raise on the river to $50 or something and the villain shoves on us. That will leave us with about $30 behind. Are we really going to fold the river getting ~6:1?

c/r fold? Say we put in a small raise on the river to $50 or something and the villain shoves on us. That will leave us with about $30 behind. Are we really going to fold the river getting ~6:1?
ah I miscounted. I thought we were deeperTbh I c/r shove here with no info on an unknown fish.Our hand is very strong here. For all we know, he could be floating the flop w/KdQx and raising for what he perceives to be value.There's also another reason which leads me to believe that our hand is ahead of his range but I would much rather you guys catch it. I point out stuff for my friend all the time and I get the feeling he's never paying as close attention as he should be.
you sure about this? I feel like someone who's playing 50nl can't find the fold button w/tp or better
I'm not saying that there are players at this level that can't fold a made hand no matter how scary the board is and how much you bet/raise, but you are mistaken if you think everyone, or even most players, are like this. Against certain opponents I think this is actually a profitable play, but against an unknown I really don't like it.FWIW, I like this play more if we had top set, since sets are a large part of his range that will call a c/r on the river.
I'm not saying that there are players at this level that can't fold a made hand no matter how scary the board is and how much you bet/raise, but you are mistaken if you think everyone, or even most players, are like this. Against certain opponents I think this is actually a profitable play, but against an unknown I really don't like it.FWIW, I like this play more if we had top set, since sets are a large part of his range that will call a c/r on the river.
you still haven't answered my questions. I get the feeling your thought process in this hand is more along the lines of "Oh man I got raised on a board where there's a flush and now he's still betting the river! ahhhhhhh whatever I have a set I call"1) what exactly are you putting him on2) and what is it about this hand that makes me think putting in the money here is a fine play
you still haven't answered my questions. I get the feeling your thought process in this hand is more along the lines of "Oh man I got raised on a board where there's a flush and now he's still betting the river! ahhhhhhh whatever I have a set I call"1) what exactly are you putting him on2) and what is it about this hand that makes me think putting in the money here is a fine play
He raised preflop and then flat call that flop? Assuming then that he basically never has a flush that isn't the nut flush, we're way ahead a lot. But what exactly does he call us with if we c/shove? I mean, I guess he could find a call with KdXx, but I'm not really convinced. And frankly I wouldn't be too surprised to see him turn over the nut flush more often then something like AdKx. Fish are such slowplay tards.
Where exactly are you getting this from? If I thought villain had the flush, and nothing else, I would have folded on the river.My point is that his range for calling a c/r is pretty narrow. I never claimed that I couldn't beat his range for calling a river bet, or that I couldn't profitably call a river bet by opponent.As far as villain's range goes, sets, 2 pair, flush, pair with a flush draw, ie AdKx, KdQx, etc, straight draw T8, 68, overpairs with a diamond.
i like c/r folding this deep, do you understand why?
Is it because a river check/raise is a super strong line and he'll rarely come over the top with worse but at the same time you're gaining max value?I think that villains range is pretty wide tbh.