Quiz Question #13

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: A Diamond Flush (246 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you do?

1. Call (140 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Go All in (105 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Fat Tye

Fat Tye

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

First of all, I think we missed a bet here. I am happy with TP with a flush draw on the turn so I am making a turn bet. When the river d falls, what were we hoping for here? I'm hoping for a diamond, so I'm going all in! Flushes are strong hands, esp when HU. If he has a better hand, congratulations. I can see arguments for just calling based on the betting patterns and the fact that we will only have $250K left if he calls & wins. I would also agree with thoughts that he may only call with a better hand. He made a strong bet & to come over the top of that we basically have to have the flush or balls or steel.However, HU a flush is a HUGE hand so I will take my chances & put him all in here. It is hard enough to hit TP. When you are against only 1 opponent & make a hand this strong - let's bet it. Whether or not he calls with some hand worse than ours will depend a lot on table image & hands we have previously shown down.
Hey, it could happen to anyone.
It just seems to happen to the stupid people first.

#62 respec

respec

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

Pretty obvious Daniel is going to say "Call" here isn't it?This hand is clearly being shown as a counter-example of the last hand he posted. Namely, going all-in because "we played the hand like a made hand, not a draw". Here we checked the turn and actually did play it like a draw, yet still we're being led into.He's just illustrating how sometimes you make different plays in situations which appear to be superficially similiar because of subtle differences in the action leading up to that specific decision.This is the flip side of question 12, ship it.

#63 LooseCannon

LooseCannon

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

OK, think this through. What hands is your opponent betting here?--A flush--A bluff--Aces up--A set--A straightA hand like aces up would probably be bet with the intention of folding to a raise. If it even bets.What can the button raise with on the end? A flush and most likely only a flush. This isn't a good spot to bluff raise without a very good read because there is a fair chance you are up against a flush and it would be ludicrous to raise a set or two pair on the end.On the other hand, hands like KQ :club: would often push the flop with a flush draw and two overs, so it seems less likely that you are beat by a higher flush than one would normally consider.What hands would the button raise with on the flop? Top pair. A flush draw. A straight draw. An overpair.What hands would the button raise with on the flop but check behind on the turn with? Top pair with a bad kicker. A flush draw. A straight draw.Given all this, I'd probably put the BB on either a bluff or a flush. Especially if the BB is capable of folding a smaller flush to a raise on the end (didn't Daniel Negreanu do that against Ted Forrest on the river on TV once?), I think that calling is better than raising.I would be more inclined to raise if I had the queen-high flush and the nut flush is a no-brainer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users