Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

This makes me happy. It's bad enough seeing Beiber wearing a Pens jersey,

Me too.

For different reasons. The kid is a Leafs fan, but he whores himself out to other teams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it.

Not the whole goals for and against differential, which is slightly alarming (although it's early, yet).

Not just starting Murray over DeSmith last night, even though Murray played the night before.

Not just throwing DeSmith to the wolves with a minute or 2 left in the first, instead of letting the period end and starting him in the 2nd.

But now the Pens are sending him back to WBS after one game that was practically decided before he entered it? Poor guy never had a chance.

True. It was debatable on calling up him or Jarry, but they went with the "hot hand" on a small sample size. To that point, DeSmith was statistically doing better.

I don't quite understand Sullivan this year. He's riding his top guys till their wheels fall off, even though his team has played a shitload of hockey in the past couple years. He limits the 4th line's playing time considerably and has played Murray back-to-back nights a couple times, now. I don't get it.

True. It was debatable on calling up him or Jarry, but they went with the "hot hand" on a small sample size. To that point, DeSmith was statistically doing better.

I don't quite understand Sullivan this year. He's riding his top guys till their wheels fall off, even though his team has played a shitload of hockey in the past couple years. He limits the 4th line's playing time considerably and has played Murray back-to-back nights a couple times, now. I don't get it.

i think one of his plusses when he got the job was that he was the WBS coach. So those guys were 'his' guys and when he called them up when he got the pens spot, he played the shirt out of them. Now, this guys are his first second and third line and he doesn't play the fourth line at all, and I think it's because they're not 'his' guys.

I definitely think that's true to a certain degree, but Kuhnhackl is one of his WBS guys. And at a certain point, he was most likely heavily involved in the decision to trade for both Mckegg and Reaves...you'd think that'd make them "his" guys, rather than the guys he inherited when he first got there.

• 3 months later...

Red hot powerplay seems to be driving this. Kessel/Crosby/Malkin are 1-2-3 in PP points.

what's driving it is Kucherov shitting the bed the last 10 games, trust me I know

• 3 weeks later...

Ya I would imagine this is about Brassard and/or Cole technically being traded to a 3rd team (VGK?) and salary being retained by Vegas in exchange for an asset.

Apparently it was 4 separate trades lol

PIT get

D. Brassard

T. Lindberg

V. Dunn

2018 3rd

VGK get

R. Reaves

2018 4th

OTT get

I. Cole

F. Gustavsson

2018 1st

2019 3rd

I like it for the Pens, but one thing that worries me a little is that I think Reaves and Cole were both loved in the room. It's good to have personalities that unite the players. On-ice play is more important, but I just hope it doesn't mess up the chemistry in some weird way. Though tbh I wouldn't have cared if Reaves was a healthy scratch the rest of the season.

I think the Pens will make another deal for a cheap 5/6 D man. Not sure we want to go with Hunwick/Ruhwedel as the 6/7.

PIT doesn't have much cap room for a dman. This deal was only possible because VGK retained 40% of Brassard's salary. I know they can get creative, but I think they only have $300K of cap space left.

The best part about this deal is that the Penguins get Brassard next season for $3M.

Hornqvist is their only notable UFA.

RFAs include:

• Sheahan, who is making over $2M right now - not ideal for the de facto 4th line centre if he's re-signed for next season.
  • Simon - don't think he's got the chops to get Sheary RFA money, but maybe more than Rust/Kuhnhackl took? A million a year for 2 years probably.
  • Rust - probably gets a raise to $2 or $3 million
  • Kuhnhackl - probably gets a raise to a million or so.
  • Sprong - hasn't established himself at the NHL level, so won't cost too much yet
  • Oleksiak - probably gets a raise to like $2 million? Ian Cole-ish money as a bottom pairing d-man.
  • Jarry - backup money, $1m or less.

That all leaves only about 2.7 million to re-sign Hornqvist, assuming the cap does not increase. If it goes up by 2 or 3 million, they should be able to get the entire team back together for 18/19, if that's what they want.

I still want to improve the bottom 6 this year and next, but if it's not doable, I could live without.

Carter Rowney is also a UFA, but who cares.