would this make you feel guilty? im struggling with

Hi, i just got back from playing a home game at an aquaitance's house. I showed a nice profit, nearly tripling my buy in. But how I won a good portion of that is bothering me.Last time I played with this group, they introduced me to a guy who is paralyzed in his lower body from a car accident last summer. He is, as far as i know, 100% ok mentally. He is not a good poker player(most of these guys arent). Today when we got shorthanded to 4 or 5 people i started running over him with bets, bluffing/bullying him with no hand at all and then telling him i had monsters. I dont know if i should feel bad or not. Then after the game i helped pull him up the hill to his car, which is custom made for him and i just thought, wtf he can drive he has no excuse to be a bad poker player. Nevertheless, i feel guilty for some reason. I would like some other poker player's opinions on this type of issue, even though I realize that it probably is different for each person.I am going to sleep and will look forward to reading some replies tommorow.Thanks

Hi, i just got back from playing a home game at an aquaitance's house.  I showed a nice profit, nearly tripling my buy in.  But how I won a good portion of that is bothering me.Last time I played with this group, they introduced me to a guy who is paralyzed in his lower body from a car accident last summer.  He is, as far as i know, 100% ok mentally.  He is not a good poker player(most of these guys arent).  Today when we got shorthanded to 4 or 5 people i started running over him with bets, bluffing/bullying him with no hand at all and then telling him i had monsters.  I dont know if i should feel bad or not.  Then after the game i helped pull him up the hill to his car, which is custom made for him and i just thought, wtf he can drive he has no excuse to be a bad poker player.  Nevertheless, i feel guilty for some reason.  I would like some other poker player's opinions on this type of issue, even though I realize that it probably is different for each person.I am going to sleep and will look forward to reading some replies tommorow.Thanks
I didn't realize having working legs made you a better poker player. He knows when he gambles he has a chance of losing and I'm sure he'd take offense if you tried to give the money back or something because he is paralyzed from the waist down. I hear that most paralyzed people want to be treated like anybody else.But I mean, it's probably normal to feel kind of bad to beat people at things who already have it a lot harder then you.

I see how you can feel that way but, he probly doesnt want your pity. Thats what he wants is to be treated like anyone else. Thats whats great about poker! Men,Women,black, white and races anyone can play. Thats why we all love the game. Dont feel guilty he wouldve took your money if he had the cards.

Hi' date=' i just got back from playing a home game at an aquaitance's house. I showed a nice profit' date=' nearly tripling my buy in. But [i'']how[/i] I won a good portion of that is bothering me.Last time I played with this group, they introduced me to a guy who is paralyzed in his lower body from a car accident last summer. He is, as far as i know, 100% ok mentally. He is not a good poker player(most of these guys arent). Today when we got shorthanded to 4 or 5 people i started running over him with bets, bluffing/bullying him with no hand at all and then telling him i had monsters. I dont know if i should feel bad or not. Then after the game i helped pull him up the hill to his car, which is custom made for him and i just thought, wtf he can drive he has no excuse to be a bad poker player. Nevertheless, i feel guilty for some reason. I would like some other poker player's opinions on this type of issue, even though I realize that it probably is different for each person.I am going to sleep and will look forward to reading some replies tommorow.Thanks
I didn't realize having working legs made you a better poker player. Thats why you will never be the best. You need your legs.

Conscience (sp) can be the downfall of many a good poker player. In the old West days a poker player by the name of John Powell played an english travler in New Orleans and proceded to take every penny the man had plus his luggage. the english man was very polite when all was said and done, the next day the man returned and shot himself in front of John. John was so disturbed by what happened he sent the mans widow the money he took plus the luggage and quit gambling for a year. when he returned he found out he was nothing like the player he was before and went broke in 3 years. " A Conscience can be the downfall of many a good player". ( Poker Nation by Andy Bellin ) and if that doesnt help you, dont forget about Buddy Williams in season one of the WPT event in Tunica, he seemed to hold his own in a wheelchair

I didn't realize having working legs made you a better poker player. He knows when he gambles he has a chance of losing and I'm sure he'd take offense if you tried to give the money back or something because he is paralyzed from the waist down. I hear that most paralyzed people want to be treated like anybody else.But I mean, it's probably normal to feel kind of bad to beat people at things who already have it a lot harder then you.
My ex girlfriend is paralyzed from the waist down. She likes to be treated like a normal person, until she doesn't get her way. Then she wants to be poor, pitiful disabled girl. That, and she's a slut.
Hi, i just got back from playing a home game at an aquaitance's house. I showed a nice profit, nearly tripling my buy in. But how I won a good portion of that is bothering me.Last time I played with this group, they introduced me to a guy who is paralyzed in his lower body from a car accident last summer. He is, as far as i know, 100% ok mentally. He is not a good poker player(most of these guys arent). Today when we got shorthanded to 4 or 5 people i started running over him with bets, bluffing/bullying him with no hand at all and then telling him i had monsters. I dont know if i should feel bad or not. Then after the game i helped pull him up the hill to his car, which is custom made for him and i just thought, wtf he can drive he has no excuse to be a bad poker player. Nevertheless, i feel guilty for some reason. I would like some other poker player's opinions on this type of issue, even though I realize that it probably is different for each person.I am going to sleep and will look forward to reading some replies tommorow.Thanks
I havn't read other replies so mine isn't influenced yet. Here is how I look at it... he put his money on the table... period. I don't care if you are a pregnant woman, the President, missing all limbs, the Pope, a girl scout, deaf dumb or blind, Mother Theresa, or shitting in a bag attached to your side... put your money on the table and alls fair. This isn't a charity event and you don't see sharks in the ocean getting moral about who they eat. Neither will I.Justin
I'm in a wheelchair myself and I can say that if you were to win my money, then that's my damn fault and nothing to feel guilty over.

First off, you shouldn't feel bad about a handicap person playing poker. He's a normal person, just like you. I would think a mentally handicap person should present the more interesting moral dilema, than physically. I might be the wrong person to ask this question, since I don't really believe in an objective right and wrong to begin with. I've played with old people, drunk people, broke people, people with blatant gambling problems, people spending their kids college funds, nice sweet old ladies that remind me of my grandma. Poker is the wrong game to play, if you have moral issues about taking people's money. Most people thing that people have free will, and if they make a choice to play poker, then it's their choice. I think this concept kinda crumbles when you consider someone who's gambling when drunk, is that choice informed? Or someone who's a gambling addict, do they really have a choice? I think those situations bring up bigger moral dilema's than But Me, I don't give any kinda of sheet about those kind of moral issues. I figure, if they don't lose their money to me, they will lose it to someone else, or heaven forbid, the house. So it might as well be me.So in short, take the cripple's money, and be happy he sucks at poker.

I beat a guy one night who had to have his girlfriend lift his cards up for him. He had a trechiotomy, and tubes sticking out of his throat. I felt that if I played him any differently than anyone else I would be a bigger ass. than if I just played my game. I really don't see what him having a handicap has to do with your feelings over the win.Oh by the way, in the last hand of the tournement he doubled me up, which ended up costing him at least $1000 in real money when we decided to chop.

My ex girlfriend is paralyzed from the waist down. She likes to be treated like a normal person, until she doesn't get her way. Then she wants to be poor, pitiful disabled girl. That, and she's a slut.
This is my favorite post ever.

I think everyone summed it up pretty good already. You simply can't take it easy on anyone at the table. I have felt slightly guilty about busting up this friend of mine that truly has a gambling problem. I won't uninvite him from our home game because he is friends with everyone there and I wouldn't want to embarass him beyond check-raising him for his whole stack with the nuts. I think the OP is probably a pretty damn nice guy to ask a question like this. Make sure you make your decision about soft-playing anyone before you sit down at the table again. It's not my job to make sure that you are playing with your spending money or your daughter's college fund. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but can you really know if that person you moved in on is a bored CEO or somebody's grandpa on social security.

The way I always look at this type of issue (playing against drunks, fish, my girlfriend, the handicapped, or anyone else) is if they are sitting down at the table with you then they would be more than willing to take my money. If they are playing they are trying to beat you, or they would be happy if they got lucky and made a nice profit... so if they are willing to take your money you have to be willing to take theirs.Don't feel bad about winning, because they won't if they win.

I wear hearing aids and no one ever took it easy on me at the table. Don't feel guilty because the tables can turn the next time you play.
So the consensus, even from a couple people with disabilities, is that you should not feel guilty in the slightest.It's not like you beat him in basketball.Poker is a mental game. I'd have only felt guilty if he had a mental disability, which he didn't.

I was paralyzed from the middle chest down 24 years ago in a motorcycle accident. I have never and will never ask for any break when it comes to poker. It's a mental game, if you've put your money on the table you know the risk/reward. Don't back down or soft play it...just play your game and everything is golden.

Alright thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I feel "better" now and will proceed to attack him and isolate him everytime i sit down at a table with him.Oh and that driving statement i made, i was just saying if he has the mental capacity to drive then he definitely can be a good poker player if he put the work in.