quit or keep playing?

I found myself in this situation a few times lately.Playing 1/2 LHE, I'm up about 50 to 80$ after about 1:45 minutes. I like to play and finish my 2 hour sessions. The problem is, in a few of my sessions, I got somes big hands cracked in the final few minutes of my session and had to settle for a 20 to 30$ profit, which is a bit frustrating. Should I stop playing after I get to a certain amount, or keep on playing the rest of my session (2hrs) ?

One of the problems with (to paraphrase) "wanting to finish a session" is that it changes your mentality and consequently how you play. Concious or unconcious you make "different" decisions in this state. It is almost better to quit if you find yourself thinkin, "I'm going to play 15 more minutes and leave."

People like to toss out "hours not results" and think they the bomb.But there are some things to keep in mind, If your play changes because you're 'getting close to the end of your session', you need to make some changes.Also, and I learned this the hard way, if you start getting tired/tilting during the "hours", stop playing, and pick it back up next time, else you'll bleed your profits.

People like to toss out "hours not results" and think they the bomb.But there are some things to keep in mind,  If your play changes because you're 'getting close to the end of your session', you need to make some changes.Also, and I learned this the hard way, if you start getting tired/tilting during the "hours", stop playing, and pick it back up next time, else you'll bleed your profits.
Yes. I loosen up considerably during the last few minutes of any session, and it costs me money. Should I fix the leak? I don't think so, I think I should just quit earlier. I have fun and win more money that way. (Although lately nothing I do wins me money. :evil: )

Time limits used to do that to me as well. What I do now is just play until I don't want to play anymore. Doing this usually cuts out the tension that comes from losing that big pot right before you quit. Just play until you feel like doing something else or start feeling like your going bad.

Stop when you are getting tired of it or you aren't playing your best. it's good to set a limit that you allow yourself to lose in one session--that way you can't do too much damage tilting--but setting a time or money gain limit is stupid because its just refusing money if you're running and playing well.

Set time limits, not money limits.
I do both so if I am up over where I want to be on a certain night I quit there or if I plan on playing a certain time limit (usual 3 hours) I always leave a half hour before unless I am getting absolute crap and then I just leave all together.
I do both so if I am up over where I want to be on a certain night I quit there or if I plan on playing a certain time limit (usual 3 hours) I always leave a half hour before unless I am getting absolute crap and then I just leave all together.
Why would you leave early when you are crushing a table?-EV
Why would you leave early when you are crushing a table?-EV
I would add: Quit when you say to yourself "I'll quit after I win one more big pot."

I really like to play a certain time limit. But if I'm up as the time limit closes in I just stop or play very tight so I don't lose to much profit.Orville

I would also add: Your basic misconceptions on probability theory are, quite simply, astounding, nutty McNutter. My comment above was based on psychology (the player is more likely to loosen up, and not in a good, limbo-dancer, way, when the "one more pot" attitude hits), not poorly applied probabalistics.

you should always quit 5/10 minutes earlier to avoid those bad beats....(sw)Assuming your up 50/80, your winning at that table, so why not keep playing out till the end of your time limit you set yourself. For all you know your going to win another 50 in the last 10 minutes, its as likely as losing it (assuming your playing well still and the losses aren't for another reason).Generally the only time i'll leave early is if im making stupid mistakes, or i've got to the point where i've had enough for the time being and don't want to play anymore - dragging it out to finish exactly on 2/3/whatever hour mark seems silly at that stage. I don't think i've ever left a table due to being up

That happens to alot of people because when you are doin good and your on a rush your used to playin good cards so when you get a crappy hand youll over play it and try and make nothin into somethin and that doesnt usually work.

I've found that when I'm down for the entire session, I tend to quit as soon as I'm back to evenish, even if it's a bit early.In reality, if there's something weird going on with you psychologically once you get up by a certain amount of cash, then really, you should quit playing, because you'd no longer be playing the same game as you were earlier. Ideally, that's something that you could control, but if you can't, then you have to make allowances for it.

Putting any kind of stipulations on time limits is just plain stupid. Why would you sit down at a table and say you are going to play for 2 hours and that's it? If you are crushing a table stay all night. If you aren't feeling it get the FO, even if it is only after 30 minutes. I believe you have to have a certain flow going in your game to do well and if I really am not feeling it, I'm gone. Putting any kind of limits on your game be it time, money, big pot, whatever makes no sense at all. What determines whether you play or not should be your overall feelings with the game and table and whether akaConditioner is sitting at your table or not.PERIOD.~sublime