getting started online...

Here's my story...the poker bug bit me over a year ago watching repeats of the '03 WSOP over Christmas break. Since then, I've been playing poker at least 3 times a week. Just your basic $5-$20 buy-in home games, nothing big. However, I have had high monetary earnings in this period, netting almost $700. My strengths are my ability to mix up my play (including the occasional "gus hansen" style in a given game) and to read other players very well. I want to get into playing online, but with a modest bankroll of, let's say $200, is it worth my time? I have heard stories about how volatile low-limit tables can be, so I'm just looking for some feedback.

Here's my story...the poker bug bit me over a year ago watching repeats of the '03 WSOP over Christmas break. Since then, I've been playing poker at least 3 times a week. Just your basic $5-$20 buy-in home games, nothing big. However, I have had high monetary earnings in this period, netting almost $700. My strengths are my ability to mix up my play (including the occasional "gus hansen" style in a given game) and to read other players very well. I want to get into playing online, but with a modest bankroll of, let's say $200, is it worth my time? I have heard stories about how volatile low-limit tables can be, so I'm just looking for some feedback.
It's valuable, and for the following reasons:1) You're not nearly as good as you think you are. I know I know, but trust me.2) You can learn how to play limit, as I'm assuming you and your buddies play mostly NoLimit3) You can learn how to play (well, mind you) games likes 7 STUD, OMAHA, as well as the split versions of each game.4) Many donkeys play, and if you stick to proper limits (for 200 bucks, I'd play .25/50 fixed limit or .5/1.00 fixed limit) you can show a pretty solid profit.Rock and/or Roll,Ice

I think 200 is plenty to start with if you're starting within your limits. Don't play higher than say... .50/1.00 limit games until you get the bankroll to the right level. Generally 300x the big bet is safe enough for a decent player to not go broke... if you have 200, that will give you 200x, but I think it's plenty of room as long as you know how to play limit halfways decent. If you want to start at lower limits that's fine too, just pick a site that offers that. Party poker only goes as low as .50/1.00 but Poker stars goes down to .02/.04 limit. Make sure you pick up Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky also... it'll help a lot.

I want to get into playing online, but with a modest bankroll of, let's say $200, is it worth my time?i stared playing $1-$2 hold em online in august with $200 and turned it into $1,380 in eight days (also playing some $2-$4). in retropect i probably should have been playing no higher than $0.50-$1 with that roll. but anyway yeah you should definitely start playing online, and no it's not too little money to start out with. depending on how good a player you are already i'd advise you play either $0.25-$0.50 or $0.50-$1. and yeah, i'd echo the gentleman's comment that you're probably not as good as you think you are. no one is. it's a tough game. (well actually phil ivey is probably better than he thinks he is but then again that's one of the main reasons why he is as good as he is. anyway i digress...)