Dn's Next Tv Poison

Hey Daniel, I just recently discovered a TV show you might be interested in. Since you implied in your blog you were seeking a new show to take up your time, you should check out "Jericho". It's about a small Kansas town that survives a nuclear holocaust/terrorist attack. Pretty much the entire country is in shambles, but it goes through this tiny town's tribulations and struggles to keep itself from falling apart. Watch the first two episodes and I promise you'll be hooked. In some ways its very similar to Lost in that it takes an entire season to answer some questions that happened in the first episode...but that's not totally a bad thing since it keeps you intently watching for the answers.Check it out and let me know what you think; it's right up your alley.

Definitely "The Wire" - In my opinion one of the greatest achievements in film/television - a masterpiece. Make sure you watch a few episodes before you make a decision, it's slow moving and takes a few episodes to get into the swing of things.Prison Break - This show is extremely addicting and pretty intense. So much happens in almost every episode. Watching them online or on dvd is the way to do it though - it'd be frustrating to watch one a week.@OP - I'm gonna check out "Jericho" now...sounds interesting.

Definitely "The Wire" - In my opinion one of the greatest achievements in film/television - a masterpiece. Make sure you watch a few episodes before you make a decision, it's slow moving and takes a few episodes to get into the swing of things.
Absolutely a must see. Take your time watching them. It's not like 24 where you can blow through 8 episodes in one sitting.
Absolutely a must see. Take your time watching them. It's not like 24 where you can blow through 8 episodes in one sitting.
The Wire is probably my favorite show. Before every new season I go back and watch from the first episode of the first season on.
The Wire is probably my favorite show. Before every new season I go back and watch from the first episode of the first season on.
This is exactly what I did before this last season.

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to argue that The Wire the single greatest television show of all time. I can't imagine anyone having a credible discussion about quality TV without mentioning The Wire. Watch it from the start and yeah it needs a little time to break into -- it's the closest television has ever come to great literature and like a novel you need to invest some time.

I think the wire is amazing, but honestly I don't it stands apart too much from other HBO shows. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Rome, they are all Fantastic. HBO puts out the best shows, plain and simple. They actually try to really delve into a part of culture or history, and there is great realism. The Wire is great but it isn't better than the Sopranos.

I think The Wire might be the greatest show in the history of TV. It certainly is better than anything I have seen and that includes great shows like the Sopranos, Law & Order, Hill Street Blues, Homicide, 24 etc. If Daniel has the time and the requisite attention span to watch the Wire from the first episode of Season 1 and pay attention to all the sub-plots, character developments and the details that make this show great, I would certainly recommend that he watch The Wire over any other show.And yes The Wire is > Sopranos. And most people who watch both shows on a regular basis would probably agree with me.

I think The Wire might be the greatest show in the history of TV. It certainly is better than anything I have seen and that includes great shows like the Sopranos, Law & Order, Hill Street Blues, Homicide, 24 etc. If Daniel has the time and the requisite attention span to watch the Wire from the first episode of Season 1 and pay attention to all the sub-plots, character developments and the details that make this show great, I would certainly recommend that he watch The Wire over any other show.And yes The Wire is > Sopranos. And most people who watch both shows on a regular basis would probably agree with me.
You gotta remember Sopranos came out a few years earlier, and was pretty Ballsy at the time.
You gotta remember Sopranos came out a few years earlier, and was pretty Ballsy at the time.
Of course I remember. I've watched both shows from Day 1. And while the Sopranos was a truly a masterpiece in its first 2-3 seasons (and still remains a VERY good show even though not as good as before), The Wire is in another league.
Of course I remember. I've watched both shows from Day 1. And while the Sopranos was a truly a masterpiece in its first 2-3 seasons (and still remains a VERY good show even though not as good as before), The Wire is in another league.
On what basis. There is just as much subtlety and character development in the Sopranos. Both shows also do an equally good job in involving all of the periferal characters. The only thing thats gotten old on the Sopranos is him and Dr Melfi, they could of ended that awhile back. But it's still as close to as good as it was originally considering it's been on for what 6-7 years?
On what basis. There is just as much subtlety and character development in the Sopranos. Both shows also do an equally good job in involving all of the periferal characters. The only thing thats gotten old on the Sopranos is him and Dr Melfi, they could of ended that awhile back. But it's still as close to as good as it was originally considering it's been on for what 6-7 years?
OK, I'll give it a shot. First, The Wire covers a much larger fragment of the society than does Sopranos. In the past four seasons, cops, drug dealers, labor unions, politicians and school kids & teachers have been covered with amazing depth and detail in The Wire. Second, the social commentary provided by The Wire about both human nature and, on a more focused basis, the urban decay in today's America is much more profound than what Sopranos have to offer even if the mob family depicted on that show is seen as an image of the society as a whole.Also, it seems to me that the grittiness of The Wire when compared to the somewhat glorified mafia world shown in the Sopranos makes the Wire more "real".

Science Channel specialSCI — Expedition BorneoExpedition BorneoA crack team of explorers, biologists and film-makers travels deep into the dark heart of Borneo in search of new species. They will discover animals that rock the scientific world and help create a giant new reserve in the earth's last great lost world.AMAZING!!Saturday Feb 23 1PMA TIVO MUST

U should DEFINATELY watch The wire first. Prison break sucks after the first season :PThe wire is one of the best shows ive ever seen on HBO or television. great actors and lots of action, drugs, alcohol.. u got all of it in this show :club:

OK, I'll give it a shot. First, The Wire covers a much larger fragment of the society than does Sopranos. In the past four seasons, cops, drug dealers, labor unions, politicians and school kids & teachers have been covered with amazing depth and detail in The Wire. Second, the social commentary provided by The Wire about both human nature and, on a more focused basis, the urban decay in today's America is much more profound than what Sopranos have to offer even if the mob family depicted on that show is seen as an image of the society as a whole.Also, it seems to me that the grittiness of The Wire when compared to the somewhat glorified mafia world shown in the Sopranos makes the Wire more "real".
First of all. I have never seen anything on the Sopranos glorifying the mafia world. The Sopranos does cover as much ground as the Wire (family issues, psychological problems, morality, drug abuse, heirarchy of power). But it doesn't really matter. A show can be specific to what it deals with and still have as much value as anything sprawling in it's interests. The things that I respect most about the show, or makes it "real" as you say is that the shows integrity isn't compromised by morality. Tony Soprano isn't a good person, no one ever said he was, and to have him as the protagonist involves the viewer more. The show has throughout it's span been brutally realistic in the fact that Tony gets away his whole life with being a corrupt and hedonistic person. None of the characters in the Wire have that much depth.
First of all. I have never seen anything on the Sopranos glorifying the mafia world. The Sopranos does cover as much ground as the Wire (family issues, psychological problems, morality, drug abuse, heirarchy of power). But it doesn't really matter. A show can be specific to what it deals with and still have as much value as anything sprawling in it's interests. The things that I respect most about the show, or makes it "real" as you say is that the shows integrity isn't compromised by morality. Tony Soprano isn't a good person, no one ever said he was, and to have him as the protagonist involves the viewer more. The show has throughout it's span been brutally realistic in the fact that Tony gets away his whole life with being a corrupt and hedonistic person. None of the characters in the Wire have that much depth.
LOL! Yeah the Sopranos is so real that the boss of the crime family can see a therapist for years and no one would even try to whack him for that. Or that Christopher's character would screw up royally, write script about the mob, have his fiancee be an informant to the FBI and STILL manage to stay alive. Or Meadow and Anthony, Jr. can be in their late teens and STILL think their daddy is in the garbage business. C'mon, if you look hard enough, the show has more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese. Unfortunately, you can't seem to notice them cause you got head buried in David Chase's nuts.
LOL! Yeah the Sopranos is so real that the boss of the crime family can see a therapist for years and no one would even try to whack him for that. Or that Christopher's character would screw up royally, write script about the mob, have his fiancee be an informant to the FBI and STILL manage to stay alive. Or Meadow and Anthony, Jr. can be in their late teens and STILL think their daddy is in the garbage business. C'mon, if you look hard enough, the show has more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese. Unfortunately, you can't seem to notice them cause you got head buried in David Chase's nuts.
Alright well we were having an interesting debate but that's lost now. Have a good one.
Alright well we were having an interesting debate but that's lost now. Have a good one.
I was just kidding, man. Sorry if I offended you. At any rate, this is ultimately a matter of preference. So, while I disagree with it, I certainly respect you opinion.

Veronica Mars is a very enjoyable show. I have all of this season on my iPod ready to watch once it ends.Prison Break is a good mindless show. It is about as unrealistic as a show can possibly be, but it's fun.I've heard great things about The Wire, but never watched it. Is it fast paced enough that it will keep me interested while doing the worst thing on earth...running on a treadmill?The greatest show of all time, of course, is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And yes, I'm nearly 30 years old. I'll put seasons 1-3 of that up against anything else I've watched.Yeah, I called Prison Break unrealistic and then ended this with a post about a vampire killing cheerleader.

I was just kidding, man. Sorry if I offended you. At any rate, this is ultimately a matter of preference. So, while I disagree with it, I certainly respect you opinion.
Well thank you. I respect your opinion too. Maybe it got lost in discussion but I am a huge fan of The Wire. It is an amazing show.
Veronica Mars is a very enjoyable show. I have all of this season on my iPod ready to watch once it ends.Prison Break is a good mindless show. It is about as unrealistic as a show can possibly be, but it's fun.I've heard great things about The Wire, but never watched it. Is it fast paced enough that it will keep me interested while doing the worst thing on earth...running on a treadmill?The greatest show of all time, of course, is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And yes, I'm nearly 30 years old. I'll put seasons 1-3 of that up against anything else I've watched.Yeah, I called Prison Break unrealistic and then ended this with a post about a vampire killing cheerleader.
The deal with The Wire is that if you watch the first 3-4 show and actually pay undivided attention, you'll be so hooked that you won't want to do anything else while atching the rest of the episodes.But, if you start out watching while running on a tradmill or doing something else that makes you miss certain things, the show is not for you.It's certainly not like the first episode of every season of 24 where it'll garb you from the second the show starts. But that's not a negative thing in my opinion.

i don't want to start a new thread, so i will say this in this one.I pretty much agreed with Daniel's opinions on the Lost characters. Especially Hurley and Eko. How can anybody not love Hurley? I think Eko is an awesome character. The first time they showed his backstory, it was the most interesting backstory. Like Daniel said, he could beat you down with out saying a word