John Stockton Or Mark Price

Mark Price could most likely beat John Stockton in a game of 1 on 1 basketball, but since basketball is played 5 on 5 I would have to say Stockton is better.
I doubt it - one of my favorite basketball stories was told by steve kerr - arizona wasnt sure it had a scholarship for him and he went to a small school where they held an illegal tryout for him = he played one on one vs another recruit and got his ass just completely whipped - Kerr was panicked that he wasn't good enough to even play for gonzaga - it was stockton he played

Stockton has the better stats and enjoyed far more team success. He also perfected the most commonly used NBA offense (pick and roll).This is not a debate. Obviously, the OP likes Mark Price and that's cool.....I like him too. But come on....Stockton is a sure fire hall of famer and Price is not even in the HOF convo./thread

I'm going to try and find some old Cavs Jazz games, I think I would rather have Price. Steve Kerr ain't Mark Price.And free throw percentage counts! I was watching an old Dream Team 2 game and Price missed a ft, and both the announcers were like "ohhh and the rarest of rarities just happend, Mark Price missed a free throw!"

I doubt it - one of my favorite basketball stories was told by steve kerr - arizona wasnt sure it had a scholarship for him and he went to a small school where they held an illegal tryout for him = he played one on one vs another recruit and got his ass just completely whipped - Kerr was panicked that he wasn't good enough to even play for gonzaga - it was stockton he played
If you are using this as an analogy, it is a terrible one.
  • 2 months later...
Magic Johnson > Stockton > then a bunch of other PG > Mark Price
While I agree with your progression, I just want to make sure this isn't supposed to be all-inclusive.Isiah is almost certainly ahead of Stockton. Where do we rank Kidd? Or Payton? Or Nash? (Besides ahead of Price, I mean.)And what about the old-timers? Cousy and Archibald. Was Oscar a point guard?Pre-post edit: Apparently ESPN did a survey and this was their list:MagicOscarIsiahStocktonCousyFrazierKiddTinyNashPaytonIn the "others receiving votes" category:West, Lenny Wilkens, Pippen (what?), Cheeks, Billups, Bing, Mark Jackson (really?), Earl Monroe, Michael Ray Richardson

I'm going to agree with most of the posters and say Stockton. I love wearing my old Cavs Price jersey to poker night with the guys and have them all roll their eyes.

Is this really even a question?
agree, granted that Mark Price didn't have Karl Malone to pick and roll with, but an either or with Stockton and Price is kind of out there. JoeyJoJo, I think the one out of your list that might be a better either or discussion would be Nash or Stockton.
fyp.
I can't put Isiah above Stockton. Maybe I am a little biased because of what Thomas has done lately but I give Stockton the edge. But I would not blame anyone for putting Thomas above Stockton.my dream 5 - guys I've seen playMJMagicBirdMaloneShaq3 Reserves Dr JKobe McHale
While I agree with your progression, I just want to make sure this isn't supposed to be all-inclusive.Isiah is almost certainly ahead of Stockton. Where do we rank Kidd? Or Payton? Or Nash? (Besides ahead of Price, I mean.)And what about the old-timers? Cousy and Archibald. Was Oscar a point guard?Pre-post edit: Apparently ESPN did a survey and this was their list:MagicOscarIsiahStocktonCousyFrazierKiddTinyNashPaytonIn the "others receiving votes" category:West, Lenny Wilkens, Pippen (what?), Cheeks, Billups, Bing, Mark Jackson (really?), Earl Monroe, Michael Ray Richardson
Mark Jackson is probably the most over rated player ever to play...He was ****ing horrible! I'd put Jerry West above Tiny then Payton then Nash... Pippen was not a PG

I'm not sure anyone understood what I meant in the OP. If I'm picking teams, with Stockton on his best day, and Price on his best day, I'm comfortable with Price on my team and Stockton on yours.

I can't put Isiah above Stockton.
Isiah is the best small guard ever. There should not be any arguments about this.3rd Quarter. Game 6. 1988 NBA Finals.
I'm not sure anyone understood what I meant in the OP. If I'm picking teams, with Stockton on his best day, and Price on his best day, I'm comfortable with Price on my team and Stockton on yours.Isiah is the best small guard ever. There should not be any arguments about this.3rd Quarter. Game 6. 1988 NBA Finals.
Thats fine we just all disagree.It happens. I disagree with Wildspoke about Isiah (the player). Just because he was a lousy GM and bad coach does not mean he somehow became worse as a player. I doubt you will find many people who will put Stockton above Isiah. Simmons account of Game 6 of the 1988 Finals is classic stuff.
I'm not sure anyone understood what I meant in the OP. If I'm picking teams, with Stockton on his best day, and Price on his best day, I'm comfortable with Price on my team and Stockton on yours.
Then I'd definitely want Stockton on my team just so I wouldn't have to deal with his dirty play.
You could call Magic one too if you really wanted to.
I don't think you can. On occasion he would go to the front line and play if there were injuries. But he almost always brought the ball up and directed the offense. He led the break, even when he posted up, he usually dribbled up, passed off, then established position.
I'm not sure anyone understood what I meant in the OP. If I'm picking teams, with Stockton on his best day, and Price on his best day, I'm comfortable with Price on my team and Stockton on yours.Isiah is the best small guard ever. There should not be any arguments about this.3rd Quarter. Game 6. 1988 NBA Finals.
Like Cane said, for whatever reason we like the players we like. I'm still taking Stockton over Price ever time. I think Stockton was a better defender and could break down defenses better too. Isiah was phenomenal. I think he had a great cast of players around him and an awesome coach. Lamibeer, Rodman, Johnson, Dumars, Mahorn - they were last 'team' after Jordan it all changed. I don't think you could go wrong with either Stockton or Isiah. In college, Gary Payton was truly on another level. Payton was so good that the Oregon State coach would not call a play during an OSU time out - he would simply say, "Give the ball to Gary."