(predict)

(deserve)

NL CY YOUNG

(predict)

(deserve)

NL ROY

(predict)

(deserve)

I'd ask for Gold Gloves, but everyone knows the Gold Gloves are basically Silver Slugger Mk2

AL MVP

Winner - Miguel Cabrera

Deserving - Josh Donaldson / Mike Trout

Honestly think all 3 guys are deserving of the award as they had phenomenal seasons, but I just don't see how Miggy doesn't win it.

NL MVP

Winner - Andrew McCutcheon

Deserving - Yadier Molina

I think Molina deserves it more, but McCutcheon is a "sexier" pick to win it. Not only did Molina have a great year at the plate, his defense means more to his team than anyone in the league.

AL CY YOUNG

Winner - Max Scherzer

Deserving - Yu Darvish

I think Scherzer is the obvious choice here. First to 20 wins, loads of K's, great WAR, 0.96 WHIP. Darvish's K/9 rate is pretty insane.

NL CY YOUNG

Winner - Clayton Kershaw

Deserving - Jose Fernandez

Kershaw leads the league in K's and innings pitched while posting a solid ERA. His 15-9 record doesn't accurately reflect how good he has been this season. Fernandez is deserving because of the season he was able to put together on a god awful Marlins squad. If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is.

AL ROY

Winner - Jose Iglesias

Deserving - Chris Archer

I thought this was the toughest category to pick because I didn't feel like anyone really stood out, but I'm just gonna guess and say Iglesias wins. Myers or Archer winning wouldn't surprise me.

NL ROY

Winner - Yasiel Puig

I think Puig wins, but Fernandez is still more impressive to me.

AL MVP

Will Win: Cabrera

Should Win: Mike Trout

Mike Trout is the best player in baseball. By a lot. He is Barry Bonds.

AL CY YOUNG

Will Win: Scherzer

Should Win: Scherzer

You can make an argument for Sale, Hernandez, or Darvish and I won't have a problem, but Scherzer leads baseball in fWAR, so I can't really argue against him. If Sanchez hadn't had his DL stint earlier this year, he might be the easy winner.

AL ROY

Will Win: Myers

Should Win: Myers

Pretty sure he's the best pick from a weak crop, even with only 350 PA so far. Iglesias is a fine choice as well. Either one is deserving based on their season to date numbers. I just happen to believe Myers' wicked offensive numbers (354/481) will trump Iglesias' defensive reputation. I don't care either way, though.

NL MVP

Will Win: McCutchen

Should Win: McCutchen

He'll finish the year better than 300/400/500 while playing plus CF. He deserves it. I think he provides more value than Kershaw. Considering the Pirates made the playoffs, he's a lock as far as the writers are concerned.

NL CY YOUNG

Will Win: Kershaw

Should Win: Kershaw

Kershaw wins in a landslide, as he should. If Harvey had stayed healthy, I'd have given it to him.

NL ROY

Will Win: Puig?

Should Win: Fernandez?

This is easily the toughest call for me. I think Puig wins, and I think maybe he should. It's so close between him and Fernandez. I was originally tempted to cite Fernandez's youth, but he's only like 1.5 years younger, which means nothing. In the end, I think Puig's performance was much more fluky than Fernandez's, so I think the latter deserves it.

It's very possible the writers decide Puig is a punk and give the award to Fernandez, so I have no idea what happens here. That being said, the Puig narrative was so strong earlier this year that I think he wins a reasonably close vote.

AL MVP

(predict) Cabrera

(deserve) Cabrera/Trout

Similar to last year, Trout is the best player in baseball, but you can't argue with Miggy's season. Miggy's counting numbers are a bit more sexy, so I think he will win.

AL CY YOUNG

(predict) Scherzer

(deserve) Scherzer

AL ROY

(predict) Myers

(deserve) Myers

NL MVP

(predict) Goldschmidt

(deserve) Goldschmidt/Mccutcheon

This is similar to Miggy/trout for me. Goldschmidt has better batting numbers across the board, but provides much less defensive and baseunning value to his team. Though he still has 15 Steals.

NL CY YOUNG

(predict) Kershaw

(deserve) Kershaw

NL ROY

(predict) Puig

(deserve) Puig

voters don't look at things like BABIP. Puig has been the biggest story of the year. Fernandez would also be a deserving winner but you can't argue with Puig's numbers, plus he has the narrative on his side.

AL MVP

Will Win: Cabrera

Should Win: Mike Trout

AL CY YOUNG

Will Win: Scherzer

Should Win: Scherzer

AL ROY

Will Win: Myers

Should Win: Myers

NL MVP

Will Win: McCutchen

Should Win: McCutchen

NL CY YOUNG

Will Win: Kershaw

Should Win: Kershaw

NL ROY

Will Win: Puig

Should Win: Fernandez

I agree with all of this.

I think the "should" wins are pretty clear in all but NL rookie and AL Cy Young.

I don't think Puig is solely a narrative pick; he was legitimately good this year.

I hope all the people who touted Cabrera last year because of his amazing September when the games supposedly counted more will point out that he's been kind of lousy this September.

• 4 weeks later...

Offensively, it's a pretty close call with the edge to MC..

Defensively, MT is better at a harder position.

Last year, MC wins this justifiably all day. This year, it's a ************. Split decisions are always decided by average, RBIs and HRs because that's what the public looks at first. They don't care about WAR.;

MC is 30 years old in his peak years right now.

MT is still sperm. If he stays healthy, doesn't hit some psychological slump and continues to develop on schedule, he will probably eclipse MC but that's a lot of variables in play.

Offensively, it's a pretty close call with the edge to MC..

Defensively, MT is better at a harder position.

Last year, MC wins this justifiably all day. This year, it's a ************. Split decisions are always decided by average, RBIs and HRs because that's what the public looks at first. They don't care about WAR.;

MC is 30 years old in his peak years right now.

MT is still sperm. If he stays healthy, doesn't hit some psychological slump and continues to develop on schedule, he will probably eclipse MC but that's a lot of variables in play.

I still have no idea what you're saying, man, but I'm trying.

MVP (WILL WIN)

MVP (SHOULD WIN)

Edit: Man, what is that superlong swear word that comes after "this year...."?

Example (me)

MVP (WILL WIN) CABRERA

MVP (SHOULD WIN) TROUT

Here are my thoughts

Miggy went .442/.636, and those slashes include at least a month of playing with either a hip flexor or a groin pull or whatever he has. On a rate basis, he's the best hitter in baseball.

Trout went .432/.557 in about 75 more PA.

You have to admit those numbers are pretty close. All things equal, Miguel Cabrera is a better hitter, without a doubt. Consider that Trout played the equivalent of 12-16 extra games, and the gap narrows

Let's also consider Trout's baserunning. Trout went 33/40 stealing bases, which is 80%+. That is quite good. He is also super fast at the other kinds of base running, which is also super good. If we take Miggy and Trout, and we seriously evaluate their offensive outputs, we have to AT THE VERY WORST admit it is close, right?

Trout is a good defensive outfielder and Cabrera is a horrible defensive 3B

Groundbreaking take there. Anyone with an IQ over 90 can tell you that mike trout has more value because defense and base running are a landslide in his favor and he's 90% of the hitter that Miggy is. Trout is the MVP this year, he was last year, and he will be again and again. Only people who don't know what they're talking about suggest otherwise.

I was guessing cluster****, but I didn't count the asterisks. (AND the word cluster doesn't edit out.)

Also, did anyone else think it was funny that time that Nick kept sayin that he didn't understand what Scram was saying and then basically repeated what Scram said? That was funny.

I still have no idea what you're saying, man, but I'm trying.

Try harder.

Insisting that Trout is an obvious 'SHOULD WIN BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW BETTER I TRAVELED THERE AND SAW IT FOR MYSELF AND I ATE WHERE THE LOCALS ATE!' victory isn't really built on poured concrete. There's a more than fair case to be made for MC, just because the public is one-dimensional and overemphasizes foundational batting statistics doesn't necessarily mean they're a completely invalid arbiter. The old sports maxim, "close call goes to the champ".

So, another way to put it:

Will Win: MC

Should Win: MT, but I'M NOT PLAYING BY YOUR RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right?

The Cabrera-Trout argument is funny to me because it's touted as a traditionalist vs. sabremetric battle, but this is one of those arguments where you don't even need the numbers to make the case for Trout.

Who is a better hitter? Cabrera, but only by a little bit.

Who is a better baserunner? Trout, by a mile.

Who is a better defensive player? Trout, by a mile.

• Like 1

It would have been really interesting to see who won the AL MVP had the Angels made the playoffs, but unfortunately awards voters seem to think MVP means something other than Best Player, and that if your team didn't win then you must not have been very valuable, so it's Cabrera's almost without question. It used to be really bad - the MVP almost always came from whoever won the pennant, in spite of other players having far superior seasons. MVP awards from the early decades are basically a useless measure. It's a bit better now, but still not great.

Anyway, Trout deserves it, and won't get it.

I'd like to see Koji Uehara snag a few Cy Young votes - not first place votes but enough points to make a showing. If he'd been our closer since April he would be in the discussion, because most people seriously overvalue Saves.

• 2 weeks later...

NL ROY

Winner - Yasiel Puig

NL ROY

NL ROY

NL ROY

(predict) Puig

(deserve) Puig

Fernandez

I guess we owe the voters an apology. This time. Fernandez won NL Rookie of the Year.

Wil Myers was AL.

Everybody predicted that except here:

AL ROY

Winner - Jose Iglesias

Deserving - Chris Archer

I thought this was the toughest category to pick because I didn't feel like anyone really stood out, but I'm just gonna guess and say Iglesias wins. Myers or Archer winning wouldn't surprise me.