Hey guys, I am in a yahoo heads-up league. I was just wondering, who I should take with the #1 pick since I have it. I really don't want to take a goalie first, and I also am not a huge fan of Thornton. Do you think Naslund would be a good pick? I'm leaning towards either him, Iginla, or Kovalchuk.

goalies only take up 3 of the 11 categories.
But they're more predictable than forwards or defensemen. Keep in mind that you have the #1 pick, which means you don't draft again until the #24-25 picks. By the time your second pick rolls around, it's an absolute guarantee that at least 9 teams will have taken a goalie.

In a heads up league, my 1st pick is Todd Bertuzzi with Joe Thornton and Jarome Iginla close behind. I want a guy that scores and puts up big PIMs. Guys like Kovalchuk will kill your +/-. Assuming everyone else doesn't choose a goalie with their 1st and 2nd picks, you'll get a quality goalie with your 2nd pick. You also have the option of grabbing 2 goalies in a row with your 2nd and 3rd picks.

Bertuzzi? I wouldn't put money on him, you really don't know how he'll perform on the ice this year, too much speculation IMO.What's the point structure for the pool? Brodeur is usually a sure bet, their a defensive club, you'll rack up some big points with Shutouts & Wins.

Bertuzzi?  I wouldn't put money on him, you really don't know how  he'll perform on the ice this year, too much speculation IMO.What's the point structure for the pool?  Brodeur is usually a sure bet, their a defensive club, you'll rack up some big points with Shutouts & Wins.
Bertuzzi was suspended, he didn't break a hip! IMO, there is no speculation. You'll get pretty much what you got before the suspension.As for Brodeur; I think his stock has fallen a little. The Devils are not gonna get as many wins as they usually get and their defense is not as good as it once was. Brodeur is still a solid pick, but not the pick he was a couple of years ago.

In a live draft you definitely have to do your homework before and during the draft. You can't rely on the Yahoo rankings, #1 they aren't updated enough and #2 they aren't that accurate to begin with. There's no way that Martin Brodeur is going to be the most valuable fantasy player this season, but he's been on top of the rankings all pre-season. Go for players that will rack up the stats in multiple categories, and keep in mind that the team a player plays for is more important than how many goals he scored or saved last year.

Go for players that will rack up the stats in multiple categories,
This is why power forwards like Bertuzzi, Morrow, Doan :wink: , and (in the past) Leclair, Lindros, Shanahan and Tkachuk are so valuable. They'll give you goals, assists, PIMs and if they are on a good team, they'll also give you a good +/-.
Go for players that will rack up the stats in multiple categories,
This is why power forwards like Bertuzzi, Morrow, Doan :wink: , and (in the past) Leclair, Lindros, Shanahan and Tkachuk are so valuable. They'll give you goals, assists, PIMs and if they are on a good team, they'll also give you a good +/-.
Shanahan used to be a Fantasy Hockey god, he was the only guy in the league you could count on for 75 points, 100+ PIM, and a +20 over/under. Not to mention that 20-30 of his points would come from the power play. He had one season in St. Louis where he put up over 100 points and over 200 PIM.

Shanny is an ex teammate in minor hockey and I have followed his whole career. I look for him to score at least 30 goals and get at least 100 PIMs this season too. Not bad for a guy that will turn 37 (Damphousse just retired at 37) in January.Anyone remember the Punchup in Piestany? Shanny was on the ice!

Thanks for the help everyone. Right now I'm leaning towards Bertuzzi because of the points, +-, and PIM. He just seemsa to cover a lot of the categories.
If he has a good year, you're a genius. I don't think I could take Bertuzzi first overall though...that's why I like picking in the middle. I was able to take Marty St. Louis with the 10th overall pick in the FCP draft.
In a live draft you definitely have to do your homework before and during the draft. You can't rely on the Yahoo rankings, #1 they aren't updated enough and #2 they aren't that accurate to begin with. There's no way that Martin Brodeur is going to be the most valuable fantasy player this season, but he's been on top of the rankings all pre-season. Go for players that will rack up the stats in multiple categories, and keep in mind that the team a player plays for is more important than how many goals he scored or saved last year.
I think he is the safest pick still. Thornton, Iginla, Bertuzzi etc. all could have big years, but Brodeur is a gaurantee. I geuss the others pretty much are as well.
I think he is the safest pick still. Thornton, Iginla, Bertuzzi etc. all could have big years, but Brodeur is a gaurantee. I geuss the others pretty much are as well.
My point is that no one is really a guarantee this year, Brodeur is two years older, down his two top defensemen, and subject to a bunch of new goalie-specific rule changes. If he had the #6 pick, I would say drop the hammer on Brodeur, because you have another pick coming up quicker. With the #1, you don't pick again until the end of the second round, so the player you select has to be worth not getting another top 10 player.
If so, hopefully it is Save Percentage, not GAA, and I would take Khabibulin in a heart beat. At the turn with two consecutive picks take Cloutier if he's available.
Usually the goalie categories are Wins, GAA, SV%, and shutouts. Khabi is going to get beat up this year, I love my Hawks, but they're just not that good...
If so, hopefully it is Save Percentage, not GAA, and I would take Khabibulin in a heart beat. At the turn with two consecutive picks take Cloutier if he's available.
Usually the goalie categories are Wins, GAA, SV%, and shutouts. Khabi is going to get beat up this year, I love my Hawks, but they're just not that good...
If GAA is included then I agree, stay away from Khabi, but his S% will be at or near the top of the goalies who play regularly. If GAA is important then I'd strongly consider Manny Fernandez. I cant imagine LeMaire not finding a way to keep goals against down in the "new NHL".
If GAA is included then I agree, stay away from Khabi, but his S% will be at or near the top of the goalies who play regularly. If GAA is important then I'd strongly consider Manny Fernandez. I cant imagine LeMaire not finding a way to keep goals against down in the "new NHL".
Good logic, but Manny isn't the starter.
Good logic, but Manny isn't the starter.
And probably won't see more than 20 starts this year. And whoever does start for Minnesota will probably get shelled since they have no Defense.