***official Detroit Tigers Thread***

I need to talk Tigers. All other forums I go to have very few sports threads and this place seems to have a decent amount of baseball lovers. So how about dem Tigers. I moved to Detroit when I was 5 (34 now) and loved baseball as a kid. Instantly became a Tigers fan and Istill to this day remember what I was doing and where I was when they won the Series back in 84. My dad was even at the game and was one of many who jumped onto the outfield and grabbed himself a chunck of the centerfield turf. HE stuffed it into his pocket and we planted the sod in the backyard. Within years you could see it spread. The best and greenest grass grew out from that sod. :PSo after that it has been pretty sad around here. We had a winning season I believe 15 years ago. Whoopdeedoo. Thank god for having the Red Wings and Pistons in town. But now the Tig's are back and this town is a buzz. Don't be fooled, as much as we love our Wings (we are hockeytown) and the Pistons, this has always been a huge baseball town. Finally we have something to cheer about. I started this season off skeptical. Was happy about Leeland replacing Tram, and was hesitant on Kenny Rogers. Funny how he got booed loudly at last years All-Star Game in Comerica Park but now he gets standing ovations. :D When we started out 5-0 they were the talk of the town even with the, at the time, playoff bound and league leaders Wings and Pistons. All atttention was on the Tigers. The sports talk radio shows were getting in their bets on what the record will be. The consensus was barely over .500. Maybe by 3 or 4 games. Which in hindsight is a ton better than what we have had in the last 4 years. Things just kept getting better. And with a second straigh shutout win over the Astros we are 29 games over .500. Wow. Good to be a Tigers fan once again.Anyway, so I want to talk Tigers every now and then wothout hijacking the Whitesox thread. :)What are the Tiger's weakness IMHO?They need a left handed batterWill Bonderman and Rogers beable to do well the 2nd half? They both have a history of falling off after the All-Star break.Verlander be able to keep it up all season? Just pitched a 8 inning, 3 hit, 7K shutout today. Trade talks have been looming out here but I am a strong believer in not trading right now unless it is some minor league players (of which we have good ones to offer). This team is happy and committed and breaking up the nucleous IMO would be a bad thing. BUt that is not my decision.Will we win the central? I don't think so. I don't think the Sox have hit their stride just yet. But the Wild Card looks pretty attainable at this point.So feel free to discuss if you like the Tigers or you know, flame me. :club:

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to talk Tigers. All other forums I go to have very few sports threads and this place seems to have a decent amount of baseball lovers. So how about dem Tigers. I moved to Detroit when I was 5 (34 now) and loved baseball as a kid. Instantly became a Tigers fan and Istill to this day remember what I was doing and where I was when they won the Series back in 84. My dad was even at the game and was one of many who jumped onto the outfield and grabbed himself a chunck of the centerfield turf. HE stuffed it into his pocket and we planted the sod in the backyard. Within years you could see it spread. The best and greenest grass grew out from that sod. :PSo after that it has been pretty sad around here. We had a winning season I believe 15 years ago. Whoopdeedoo. Thank god for having the Red Wings and Pistons in town. But now the Tig's are back and this town is a buzz. Don't be fooled, as much as we love our Wings (we are hockeytown) and the Pistons, this has always been a huge baseball town. Finally we have something to cheer about. I started this season off skeptical. Was happy about Leeland replacing Tram, and was hesitant on Kenny Rogers. Funny how he got booed loudly at last years All-Star Game in Comerica Park but now he gets standing ovations. :D When we started out 5-0 they were the talk of the town even with the, at the time, playoff bound and league leaders Wings and Pistons. All atttention was on the Tigers. The sports talk radio shows were getting in their bets on what the record will be. The consensus was barely over .500. Maybe by 3 or 4 games. Which in hindsight is a ton better than what we have had in the last 4 years. Things just kept getting better. And with a second straigh shutout win over the Astros we are 29 games over .500. Wow. Good to be a Tigers fan once again.Anyway, so I want to talk Tigers every now and then wothout hijacking the Whitesox thread. :DWhat are the Tiger's weakness IMHO?They need a left handed batterWill Bonderman and Rogers beable to do well the 2nd half? They both have a history of falling off after the All-Star break.Verlander be able to keep it up all season? Just pitched a 8 inning, 3 hit, 7K shutout today. Trade talks have been looming out here but I am a strong believer in not trading right now unless it is some minor league players (of which we have good ones to offer). This team is happy and committed and breaking up the nucleous IMO would be a bad thing. BUt that is not my decision.Will we win the central? I don't think so. I don't think the Sox have hit their stride just yet. But the Wild Card looks pretty attainable at this point.So feel free to discuss if you like the Tigers or you know, flame me. :club:
Weakness is playing the Sox because they certainly haven't shown they can beat us and can their pitching and hitting really last?

Their pitching will last (maybe not quite THIS good...but it will be pretty good all year). Their offense is coming back to Earth though, I think..and I just don't think they can stay with the ChiSox this year...but next year...they could be the favorites depending on what they do in the offseason..........and by favorites I mean to win it all..not just in the AL Central.

Weakness is playing the Sox because they certainly haven't shown they can beat us and can their pitching and hitting really last?
Well, as I think I stated, The Sox are the best team between the two. Still plenty of games between us so we will just see what happens. I also stated the Sox will win the Central as I see us getting a shot at the wild card. Their pitching could last. That is the fun thing about this, we just don't know till it happens. Our starting pitchers are 13-0 over the last 18 starts. Not bad. We have 2 pitchers with 10 wins and another 2 pitchers just a game or two away from 10 wins. IF it does stay this way, then I think we got ourselves one damn interesting scenario. Hitting? Injuries to key guys could really kill this team offensively. I think as long as we stay healthy the hitting will stay decent. This team, unlike past teams, plays hard all 9 innings. Similiar to the Sox. The never give up mentality. They keep doing that and winning then their confidence gets bigger and then when we play the Sox's and Yankees in August (which is almost the only teams we play) we could surprise you. I really think it is in their head that they can't compete with those 3 teams. They always come out flat for those games. I think that will change and I can't wait for the next series with the White Sox. :club:
Can the Tigers lose a game or 3? The Twins want to make up some ground. :club:
Nope. I think that the Tigers, Sox, and Twins are all 9-1 in their last 10. Division is absolutely rollin right now.(That is except the Royals)

I agree with all you guys, they got good pitching, some holes on OF though. They're a good team and a great story, but the White Sox are the class of the Bigs right now. Still, a tremendous job by Leyland, and I think the Tigers will be competitive for a while as long as they can keep the good nucleus together.

Nope. I think that the Tigers, Sox, and Twins are all 9-1 in their last 10. Division is absolutely rollin right now.(That is except the Royals)
You're right. Playing .750 ball over the past couple weeks, that's not rolling. Good one. Perhaps maybe checking the numbers before spewing out incorrect crap??(9-4 last 13 games...8-3 last 11...and on and on)
That's good but it doesn't compare to the Sox-Tigers-Twins combined record since June 11th prior to today. 43-6I want to play the NL the rest of the year
I'm not saying we're playing on the same level as the ChiSox, but to say that .750 ball isn't "rolling" might be a bit harsh....what, you aren't hot unless you're playing .850 ball over a month?? Lol...
The Red Sox have won 12 straightsuck it?
12 straight and they still aren't beating the white sox.
  • 2 weeks later...

So we are at the break. Little anxious to get past the All-Star game and see what happens. Got a 2 game lead over the Sox right now. Hopefully we can get that a little bigger since we will be playing the Royals (no offense) and the Sox will be playing the Yankees, but that should be a pretty soft series for the Sox as well.My main concerns are for Rogers and Bonderman. Both have a history of falling apart after the break. Verlander is a worry but not till later. As a rookie pitcher he hasn't had the experience to play through a 162 game season and much less 200 innings. That could come hinder him down the road. Seems Maroth is moving along nicely and I read that they would just throw him in the rotation and leave Miner there. So witha 6 man rotation that should help everyone out a little come August.We will see.

I think the Tig's will be allright. If we do a little better than .500 ball the rest of the way we should be around 100 wins. Plus, if it comes down to a pennant race in the last few weeks, the schedule favors the Olde English D because we play KC 5 of the last 8 games and the White Sox are up against Seattle, the Twins and the Indians. P

Good point. Scheduling at the end of the year does make a big difference. I'm sure the Wsox didn't think they'd have to be chasing the Tigs. Either way, unless either the Wsox or Tigs completely blow the 2nd half, one or the other will be the wildcard.

So.....I guess Angel Berroa will be getting a pretty nice Christmas gift from Jim Leyland this year..right?? I believe Berroa has pretty much handed the Tigers 2-3 games all by himself so far this year..lol.

Got tickets for tonight in a huge mixup by the Tigers box office that resulted in a ton of swearing and some emails to the box office on their ridiculous policy that since my wife doesn't have my last name she cannot pick up tickets.

Got tickets for tonight in a huge mixup by the Tigers box office that resulted in a ton of swearing and some emails to the box office on their ridiculous policy that since my wife doesn't have my last name she cannot pick up tickets.
good luck. Go Sox.

What a game. Don't know which was better, the Tigers winning or the White Sox fan making a constant fool of herself behind me.The fan was this woman who looked like Lisa Loeb minus the glasses. She was there with 5 friends who were Tigers fans. She was dressed in a black Sox dress. Through 5 innings she couldn't keep her mouth shut. Tigers suck, Dye is a baller! Urbina is her man. The last time she took Peyote she thought she was with Konerko. After the second Sox HR she turned to the people behind her and said, "Take that mother****ers!" Whoch prompted a heated battle. For the most part everyone ingored her but she kept opening her mouth. Anytime the Tigers got an out she was going crazy all by herself. Anytime the Sox went out she would scram out "It's okay, it's all good!!!". Funny stuff. Then the 5th rolls around. Base hit for the Tigers. Another base hit. We are all cheering in the section and she blurts out... "Wow, pathetic you guys get excited about singles. Not like they score you any runs, we like to bypass them and go straight to the long ball!!!" Another base hit. Another base hit scoring 1. Then a fielders choice. Bases loaded, 1 out. C-Mo steps up and hits a Grand Slam to go up 5-2. Place goes nuts and the ***** got quiet. I turned around after the excitement and said something to the effect of "Too bad all we did was keep getting singles instead of hitting that HR right off the bat, huh?" She left to go smoke and when she came back our section started booing her and she got all crybaby on us. How could we be so mean and talk such trash. LAdy, you have been talking trash all game long. Can give it but sure as hell can't take it. Then she started praising Tigers players. F-Rod came out to pitch and she told her friend what a wonderful pitcher he was. HE will go far in the MLB. Then my personal favorite was in the top of the 9th when Jamie Walker came out she went on this whole thing about how he is one of the best closers in the league right now and if we get to the playoffs how he could take us to the WS cause he is "one ****ing amazing closer!" Ummmmm, he isn't a closer sweetie. HE is a set-up man part-time but his main roll all year was to go in for a batter or two. Thome was up first who is a power hitting left hander. That is when Walker makes his presence. After he got Thome out, OUR REAL CLOSER, Todd Jones, came in. She just kept making herself look like a fool. 2 outs. 1 more out to the win. Everyone on their feet. 40,000 people screaming and Dye hits a single and the place goes quiet. At the top of her lungs " There ya go MOTHER****ERS! A BASE HIT!" LOL. After people pointed to the group of 10 year olds in front of her she got all mad. Her comeback was "What, am I at a Cubs game or something???" I don't know what that meant nor do I care. I am all for trash talking but I even have a terrible sailor mouth but when little kids are around me I will refrain. Plus in Michigan it is a crime to swear in front of children. Not that I agree with that but it is. After people stopped ragging on her for it I turned to her and said very kindly, "IT's just a single sweetie, remember, you said they were worthless."Fun game though. Good win. Need to win todays to make it matter. But it was fun nonetheless.

Hey SBriand, what are the thoughts in Tigerland about Todd Jones closing? He is close to the league lead in saves with 24, but I'd be worried about his 5.40 ERA and his lack of strikeouts. Is there a push to get a guy like Zumaya closing, or is everyone content with Jones?

Hey SBriand, what are the thoughts in Tigerland about Todd Jones closing? He is close to the league lead in saves with 24, but I'd be worried about his 5.40 ERA and his lack of strikeouts. Is there a push to get a guy like Zumaya closing, or is everyone content with Jones?
Actually I get very, very, very nervous when he is in there. A lot of people are. For awhile there it was the talk around town on sports radio. We would like to see Zumaya or F-Rod closing and I think the plan was to groom Zumaya into that roll. But Jimmy loves Jonesy and says he is the man to close and has no plans of changing that. Jones has been playing much better as of late so so far so good. But I would be a liar if I didn't say that I get scared everytime he steps up to the mound with a 1 or 2 run lead. :club: