Religion And Intelligence

New study: Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQhttp://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liber...ence/index.htmlPolitical, religious and sexual behaviors may be reflections of intelligence, a new study finds.Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.They go on to all these funny explanations of the relationship, but of course they are too politically correct to suggest the true reason behind the correlation, which is that people who are more intelligent are more likely to arrive at the truth.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New study: Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQhttp://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liber...ence/index.htmlPolitical, religious and sexual behaviors may be reflections of intelligence, a new study finds.Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.They go on to all these funny explanations of the relationship, but of course they are too politically correct to suggest the true reason behind the correlation, which is that people who are more intelligent are more likely to arrive at the truth.
That's okay, makes my plans to run a ponzi scheme in heaven just that much more likely to fly!
Or they just can't see past themselves.

I for one think it only fair that the 'best and brightest' all get to spend eternity together trying to figure out what went wrong and how they are going to get water from brimstone with only flames and sulfur to work with...

Well, seeing as this is all god's plan and he of course saw this coming and whatnot, I'm sure there's a reason why he wants the majority of the best and brightest in hell. I wouldn't presume to guess what that reason is.

Saw this when I got up and didn't even bother to copy the link, cause I was smart enough to know it would already have been posted here and would already be busily debated.It's worth reading the whole article. Average intelligence for those who describe themselves as "very religious" is actually 95, or slightly below average. I found that interesting. BG's obviously an anomaly.

Saw this when I got up and didn't even bother to copy the link, cause I was smart enough to know it would already have been posted here and would already be busily debated.It's worth reading the whole article. Average intelligence for those who describe themselves as "very religious" is actually 95, or slightly below average. I found that interesting. BG's obviously an asshole.
FYPhahahaha kidding, just couldn't resist.
Well, seeing as this is all god's plan and he of course saw this coming and whatnot, I'm sure there's a reason why he wants the majority of the best and brightest in hell. I wouldn't presume to guess what that reason is.
Fear of competition?

I do think it is fun to watch the idea be branded about that you guys are actually comfortable to consider yourselves in the upper regions of the smart level when comparing yourself to a Being who created all matter and energy with a spoken word. Who sits outside of time and space and knows the number of hair on each and everyone's head. Who sees the you inner most thoughts and knows your future.but hey, you guys went to a school for 4 years, so that puts you on an even par at least right?

I do think it is fun to watch the idea be branded about that you guys are actually comfortable to consider yourselves in the upper regions of the smart level when comparing yourself to a Being who created all matter and energy with a spoken word. Who sits outside of time and space and knows the number of hair on each and everyone's head. Who sees the you inner most thoughts and knows your future.but hey, you guys went to a school for 4 years, so that puts you on an even par at least right?
Nah, I think the human race is way over-rated as a supposedly intelligent animal.
I do think it is fun to watch the idea be branded about that you guys are actually comfortable to consider yourselves in the upper regions of the smart level when comparing yourself to a Being who created all matter and energy with a spoken word.
Was the word He used "bandied"? Because I've always wondered what that means.

I think a lot of non-believers initially came at the subject more or less the way Lewis Lapham did, quoted below:

I came to my early acquaintance with the Bible in company with my first readings of Grimm's Fairy Tales and Bulfinch's Mythology, but as an unbaptized child raised in a family unaffiliated with the teachings of a church, I missed the explanation as to why the stories about Moses and Jesus were to be taken as true while those about Apollo and Rumpelstiltskin were not. ... It wasn't that I'd missed the explanation; there was no explanation to miss.
I thought they were saying they were smart compared to......you. if god knows how many hairs are on my head, he's weird.

This is apropos of nothing, but it's in the same collection of quotes where I have the Lapham quote. I just love this.

To act is to annihilate possibility. … We are traveling through the dark, every step a swerve that makes more dead. What can we know of those others, the roads we do not choose? But it is not even so clearly defined as that. To be is to make a path; and not to make countless others; and to unmake them, and so to be unmade even as we make and are made. The sword of our decision passes through the arras of infinite others.
-- Gene Fendt, Shakespeare scholar, in an essay about Hamlet
I thought they were saying they were smart compared to......you.
Yea..real need for a new thread for that revelation.
if God knows how many hairs are on my head, he's weird.
Cause being all-knowing should mean He should know certain things?
Yea..real need for a new thread for that revelation.Cause being all-knowing should mean He should know certain things?
He should have better things to focus on.
When we did our brain imaging study on religion we wanted to match the groups on intelligence. That involved finding fundamentalist Christian folks who matched the atheists on a brief IQ test. Wasn't that easy!
Because you had a hard time finding atheist since they make up such a small percentage of the population?
Humanizing God...
An excellent critique of how god can be all knowing and all powerful yet still have the emotional patience of your average gang-banger.Well done.
An excellent critique of how god can be all knowing and all powerful yet still have the emotional patience of your average gang-banger.Well done.
Misunderstanding God is almost as silly as humanizing Him