Colts Re-Signing Harrison

Allright guys, I've been a Colts fan since Marshall Faulk, and a Manning fan since his freshman year at Tennessee... and an Eli Fan since his highschool days (Got a knack for following players...) So I'm no bandwagon fan here, We can get into my favorite teams and why later though. I don't like this deal! He's 32 years old, this is a 7 year deal, not only that its the Largest contract ever given to a Wide Reciever! Thats not the only thing that bothers me, yes, He will have 3-4 more Great seasons infront of him, hes extremely well conditioned and I love seeing that in players, but he will be 39 at the end of this and extremely over paid. I really don't think this was smart, lets look at who they have.Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley. Oh they've got this guy named Peyton Manning... Who will sadly enough be breaking all of the Records Favre has broken lately. :sick:If I was acting GM of the Indianapolis Colts, I would have signed him to a 5 year deal because of two reasons: 1.) He's still going to be a great player, and at 37, if hes still THAT good, he'd be willing to sign a year extension with Manning still at the helm2.) I've still got a heart, and he's bleed for this team for a long time, and his work ethic is amazingAnyone they throw in this system is going to work! I don't see why they didn't try to pick up a good WR in the 2nd or 3rd round a few years down the road to put in as a slot reciever to start out with, and develop him to be the number 2 or 3 reciever once Harrison is gone.Just had to rant and rave about this, its going to kill there salary cap, which means there defense will feel the brunt of it, and I think that you have to have a GREAT defense to win a championship... Im gonna be bringing up football topics left and right for a little while... had to get this off my chestNow that im thinking about it.. perhaps I should have thrown this in the bad beats section

Allright guys, I've been a Colts fan since Marshall Faulk, and a Manning fan since his freshman year at Tennessee... and an Eli Fan since his highschool days (Got a knack for following players...)  So I'm no bandwagon fan here, We can get into my favorite teams and why later though.  I don't like this deal!  He's 32 years old, this is a  7 year deal, not only that its the Largest contract ever given to a Wide Reciever!  Thats not the only thing that bothers me, yes, He will have 3-4 more Great seasons infront of him, hes extremely well conditioned and I love seeing that in players, but he will be 39 at the end of this and extremely over paid.  I really don't think this was smart, lets look at who they have.Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley.  Oh they've got this guy named Peyton Manning... Who will sadly enough be breaking all of the Records Favre has broken lately.  :sick:i agree.  they should use that money and spend it on some defense, maybe get simeon rice in the off-season or a hard hitting safetyIf I was acting GM of the Indianapolis Colts, I would have signed him to a 5 year deal because of two reasons:  1.)  He's still going to be a great player, and at 37, if hes still THAT good, he'd be willing to sign a year extension with Manning still at the helm2.) I've still got a heart, and he's bleed for this team for a long time, and his work ethic is amazingAnyone they throw in this system is going to work!  I don't see why they didn't try to pick up a good WR in the 2nd or 3rd round a few years down the road to put in as a slot reciever to start out with, and develop him to be the number 2 or 3 reciever once Harrison is gone.Just had to rant and rave about this, its going to kill there salary cap, which means there defense will feel the brunt of it, and I think that you have to have a GREAT defense to win a championship... Im gonna be bringing up football topics left and right for a little while... had to get this off my chestNow that im thinking about it.. perhaps I should have thrown this in the bad beats section

Well, I don't think the deal was really that bad. Since its football, its not a guaranteed contract, and do you really think he will still be around in 7 years? Football, unlike say baseball, is a sport that you just don't have very many players 35 and older. It does happen, obviously, but on the whole its not very common. So, if they sign him for 5 years, he would still get the same kind of signing bonus and yearly salary. That's why I don't think they really wasted extra money on him. He'll be cut or retired by the end of that contract in all likelyhood.

Um, as a Colts fan, you should be greatful you have Bill Polian as a GM. I would try to stay away from questioning anything he does. He's one of the best in the league, right behind my Steelers' Kevin Colbert. :wink:

• 1 year later...
Allright guys, I've been a Colts fan since Marshall Faulk, and a Manning fan since his freshman year at Tennessee... and an Eli Fan since his highschool days (Got a knack for following players...)  So I'm no bandwagon fan here, We can get into my favorite teams and why later though.  I don't like this deal!  He's 32 years old, this is a  7 year deal, not only that its the Largest contract ever given to a Wide Reciever!  Thats not the only thing that bothers me, yes, He will have 3-4 more Great seasons infront of him, hes extremely well conditioned and I love seeing that in players, but he will be 39 at the end of this and extremely over paid.  I really don't think this was smart, lets look at who they have.Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley.  Oh they've got this guy named Peyton Manning... Who will sadly enough be breaking all of the Records Favre has broken lately.  :sick:If I was acting GM of the Indianapolis Colts, I would have signed him to a 5 year deal because of two reasons:  1.)  He's still going to be a great player, and at 37, if hes still THAT good, he'd be willing to sign a year extension with Manning still at the helm2.) I've still got a heart, and he's bleed for this team for a long time, and his work ethic is amazingAnyone they throw in this system is going to work!  I don't see why they didn't try to pick up a good WR in the 2nd or 3rd round a few years down the road to put in as a slot reciever to start out with, and develop him to be the number 2 or 3 reciever once Harrison is gone.Just had to rant and rave about this, its going to kill there salary cap, which means there defense will feel the brunt of it, and I think that you have to have a GREAT defense to win a championship... Im gonna be bringing up football topics left and right for a little while... had to get this off my chestNow that im thinking about it.. perhaps I should have thrown this in the bad beats section
What it does is allow them to spread his signing bonus over a longer period of time so it doesb't count as much against the cap the couple of years.