How Many is Too Many?

Ok, ill admit that im a bit of a poker literature junkie to the tune of about 16books worth about $500. Yikes, I know but I just love to read about poker stories, strategy and gambling in general. My collection is as folows in order of their purchase(is it weird I know the chronology)1. Play Poker Like the Pros2. Lee Jones Low-Limit Holdem3. Holdem for Advanced Players4. Super/System: A Course In Power Poker5. The Psychology of Poker6. Caro's Book of Poker Tells7. Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players8. Poker Wisdom of a Champoion9. Championship Pot-Limit and No-limit Holdem9a. The Theory of Poker10. Bobby Baldwin's Winning Poker Secrets11. Gentlemen Gambler: The Life of Oklahoma Johnny Hale (autographed)12. The Biggest Game In Town13. Championship Omaha14. Bad Beats and Lucky Draws15. Tournament Poker for the Advanced PlayerThat was a mouth full, anyway I enjoyed and still enjoy reading and rereading these books. My favorite one has to be Cloutier and McEvoy's Champioship PLH and NLH. The way they write is very easy to understand and does not have a lot of fluff.What books do you all own and what is your favorite?

I own 9 of those 15 books... None that don't deal with tournaments or hold'em though. I am the same way as you, I just love to read, and if I can read about poker, all the better! I buy about a book every other month lately. Can't help but love the game really.

I love to read poker books too, and just reading in generally.I am a bit curious as to why you chose Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros" as your first book though. Interestinly enough considering your post yesterday somewhat blasting people who play on NL....

I just started taking poker seriously, and started reading about it a month and a half ago. My first book was Play Poker Like The Pros, and I am now on The Theory of Poker. Next is Super System. I love to learn about the psychology and strategy of poker. I actually asked a question on this to Dan on the Fan 590. That is just me gloating. lol.Anyway, I would have to say Phil Hellmuth had some good stories but he plays way too tight, or preaches to play way too tight. As I read The Theory of Poker, I must say it is an excellent book that has helped me understand odds and positioning. Excellent book so far. By the way I will not be buying Phils second book.And Dan, hurry up with your book, we are all waiting. Jokes, take your time and make it a classic. Peace

i didnt like play poker like the pros, but bad beats and lucky draws is pretty good man. it isnt strategy really. its a large collection of really interesting hands that he has encountered throughout his carreer... and there are some amazing things.. one in particualr is about like the best read ever. AA raises in early pos... later position has KK.. .looks at the guy... mucks... FOR ONE BET. said he saw it in his eyes. alotta cool stuff like that. plus alotta pros have stories too. including daniel...dont hate on phil. ;-)

I have a couple books by Slanksy (sp) and some other authors I can't remember their names off the top of my head. Where do you guys get most of your books? I've found a few at Barnes and Noble but besides that it seems like you have to order them over the net and I hate doing that with books cus I like to read a chapter or two first. Amazon sometimes you can preview a couple pages which is nice, but not on some of the more descrete ones. I've murdered half of my books just because of folding so many pages over to mark little things I like to remember and re-read.

I feel bad that I only had 8 from list of 15. I did have one or two not on the list. I have a question for everyone who has read Phil Hellmuth's books, basically what did you think of them? I read Play Poker Like the Pros and was fairly disappointed. I expected to learn more about what a pro thinks at the table and instead I got some pretty interesting stories and some questionable strategy. I feel that Hellmuth’s strengths are reading other players and maybe that doesn’t translate into a book very well. Let me know your thoughts. I love the technical nature of Sklansky’s books and the less technical way Doyle Brunson writes but I don’t think you can ever read too much about poker.

HelloIMO....My favourite book right now is Midlle Limit Holdem. Theory of Poker is a must read. Super Systems is also good and I can imagine that when it came out it must just blown people away. Some of the info is a little dated now, but still worth buying. I read Hellmuth "play poker like a pro" didn't really do anything for me. Hellmuth is obviously a good holdem tournament player but thats about it. The championship series is a pretty good intermediate level book but not as good as HFAP or middle limit holdem.I haven't read Stud for advanced plrs is it any good?

annie dukes sisters book was one of the most interesting books about poker that i have read, albeit it is more of a bioagraphy. I enyoyed hearing the stories about howard and annie's secret moments stealing money from moms purse. mike caro's rereleased book about the life of bobby baldwin is also facinating. I really enjoyed both books and am surprised i don't see more copies floating around. this is my first post here, long time reader.

• 2 weeks later...

I have many of those. Here are some more that I found interestingCaro’s Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker.Poker Nation By Andy BellinHow good is Your Pot-Limit Omaha? By Stewart RuebenThe Tao of Poker by Larry PhilipsPoker Essays by Mason MalmuthSmall Stakes Holdem By Ed Miller, David Sklansky Mason MaluthPositively Fifth Street by James McManus