daniels card player article. what would u do?

This post is in regards to Daniel’s article in Card Player Magazine Dec. 27th (Evelyn Ng Cover). Daniel writes about playing aggressive early in tournaments and like all his articles I was mentally focused on every word. One section of the article stated, your dealt AK offsuit in the Big Blind ,on the 1st hand of the Main Event in the WSOP. Everyone folded to the Small Blind. The SB goes ALL-IN and exposes their hand with Q-J suited. Would you call? Daniel said yes, you would win the pot 60% of the time. Now here comes the reason for this post. I agree with his logic, rightfully so, Daniel is a much better player than myself. But after reading that, a light bulb smacked me on the head. That statement has a lot to do with why professionals shine and normal players like me watch it on T.V. Lets say I save up for 6 months to buy my way in to the main event. Or better yet I win a satellite. Do you honestly think I would chance the whole tournament on the first hand. I wouldn’t. Professionals would because of the 60% factor, and they would be right in making that play. But they also know that 4 times out of 10 they got bad beated, there is another BIG tournament coming up next week, no big deal. For a nobody like me, its another 6 months of saving money. That’s how pro’s push around dead money players like me. There is no doubt in my mind they have GREAT skills, but they also always have another tournament right around the corner. That is a huge advantage. Don’t get me wrong I am a huge Daniel fan, I just would like to see what you guys options are, would you call the all-in bet??

I couldn't at that big of a buy-in tournament. If that buy-in is nothing to you and your eyes are completely winning, of course you would call. If it was a sattelite, I'd call, but at the big buy-ins, I can't afford to risk the whole tournament on one hand.

I disagree with Daniel, despite the 60%. There are so many fish in the main event. With Daniel's ability, I think he could find a better spot.
thats become such a useless mantra, i mean it's simply not true. people aren't just gonna give you their money, and you can't "outplay" everyone enough to be confident that you will double your buy in just from your superior skills. what if you don't find a better spot? what if you push all in with the second nuts and get called by something better? no one is so much better than anyone so that you shouldn't take 60 percent equity, not even daniel. and if he was, wouldn't he know?or lets say you do find a better spot, you flop a set of 8s. you bet and they all fold. in order to "wait for a better spot", not only do you have to have an unbeatable monster, they have to have either an almost unbeatable monster, or be dumb enough to call with something bad, and times like that are few and far between. you can't fear busting with a guaranteed 60 percent edge. outplay people once the blinds start to matter.
This post is in regards to Daniel’s article in Card Player Magazine Dec. 27th (Evelyn Ng Cover). Daniel writes about playing aggressive early in tournaments and like all his articles I was mentally focused on every word. One section of the article stated, your dealt AK offsuit in the Big Blind ,on the 1st hand of the Main Event in the WSOP. Everyone folded to the Small Blind. The SB goes ALL-IN and exposes their hand with Q-J suited. Would you call? Daniel said yes, you would win the pot 60% of the time. Now here comes the reason for this post. I agree with his logic, rightfully so, Daniel is a much better player than myself. But after reading that, a light bulb smacked me on the head. That statement has a lot to do with why professionals shine and normal players like me watch it on T.V. Lets say I save up for 6 months to buy my way in to the main event. Or better yet I win a satellite. Do you honestly think I would chance the whole tournament on the first hand. I wouldn’t. Professionals would because of the 60% factor, and they would be right in making that play. But they also know that 4 times out of 10 they got bad beated, there is another BIG tournament coming up next week, no big deal. For a nobody like me, its another 6 months of saving money. That’s how pro’s push around dead money players like me. There is no doubt in my mind they have GREAT skills, but they also always have another tournament right around the corner. That is a huge advantage. Don’t get me wrong I am a huge Daniel fan, I just would like to see what you guys options are, would you call the all-in bet??
Lets take it to the next step.. So what you are saying is that you would fold even if you had AA? I too would have a hard time coming up with the 10 large but I think you need to play. If you dont do it then when is the right time? I think if you get your mindset in the wrong way you will be ran over, pushed around, pretty much owned.
It doesn't get much better than that.
yes it does. 70/30 80/20 90/10 will be much better.60/40 is very close to a coin flip.
I agree, however the OP's post makes it sound like he wouldnt play it even at better odds because it was the first hand...? He didnt like the value 10k=1hand...

60/40 is also hardly "a coin flip". Anyway, what the OP is saying reminds me of the "first hand of the WSOP ME, everyone goes all-in, you have AA, what do you do?" question that pops up from time to time. Mathematically, the obviously correct answer is "call every time." But the mathematically correct answer presumes an infinite number of WSOP ME buy-ins, infinite number of chances, etc. and for a lot of people, it may not be that easy if they were somehow faced with the situation.

It doesn't get much better than that.
yes it does. 70/30 80/20 90/10 will be much better.60/40 is very close to a coin flip.
Notice i said a "sure" 60%. When someone pushes in on you and you are pretty sure you are ahead, that means that maybe 90% of the time a guy has a str8 draw, and 10% he has a set on the flop. If you have aces and you agree that you should make the call, then you just made about the same call as the sure thing 60/40. Or, take another situation: say you have 92 on a 977 board. Would you call of your stack if your opponent pushed with JT?At the 10k level, i doubt anyone who is so risk averse that he won't take a 60/40 edge is gonna get killed.

you guys are stupid. of course you call. i don't get it. someone said something about 10k=1 hand, therefore no........ making fun of the op... and i think that's the only issue here..... if you don't make that call you're an idiot. simple. as. that. odds is poker, for lack of reads

You're going to have to win a few races probably anyway. Why would you fold one in which you are guarenteed to have the best of it?
if by a few, you mean like 10, then yeah, you probably will have to win "a few" coin flips in the main event...and to answer the question, i agree with the above post. Why is this even an issue? Call.