splitting rolls...unethical??

I've been playing poker seriously since i was 19 (1.5 years) and have done very well over my "career". I also have a buddy who plays for a living and also does very well. We would always play at the same times and car pool, discuss strategy, analyze each others games etc. We noticed that often one of us would be running extremely hot and the other would be running on the down side of variance. We came up with an idea that we could split rolls, well not exactly, but basically buy in for the same amount, play for the same lenght of time, adn split the profit or share the loss. There is often only 1 table open of the limits we play, so we end up at the same table.Sooo....does anyone find it unethical, or wrong, with having two people at the same table doing this. I guess it's like the whole WPT issue with...fuck, i forget who it was, but two players having a shared intrest in each other. As long as we don't soft play each other, is this wrong?Discuss

i don't see a problem with it, as long as you guys aren't slowplaying each other or taking advantage of the other players by raising them out of the pot - however, i could see other players being uncomfortable by this if they were aware of the situation. me and one of my friends used to have a similar arrangement, though we usually just played at different tables for the reason that the less TAGs at the table that we are playing, the better. however, if the table he is at is a great table, i'm going there, arrangement or not.

Nothing at all wrong with it IMO. Doyle and the boys did the same thing back in the day...as long as you two trust each other and play to win its perfectly kosher.
yeah, i feel when doyle and amarillo played at the same table they would do some major hustling. i don't think its right. With that said shows how the "big game" is really more of a crowd of colluders.

Its not unethical to just what you are doing, the unethical part comes when you come up with other systems to beat your opponents...Just dont let anyone else at the table know you are doing that, and dont take your partnership any further then that at the table....It is inevitable you will soft play at each other in pots, theres no two ways about that...Im sure if you will simply respect each others play and get out of the others way if played back...fair enough imo, its going to happen between friends in cash games when surrounded by strangers, particularly if you're sharing profit-P.

Nothing at all wrong with it IMO. Doyle and the boys did the same thing back in the day...as long as you two trust each other and play to win its perfectly kosher.
yeah, i feel when doyle and amarillo played at the same table they would do some major hustling. i don't think its right. With that said shows how the "big game" is really more of a crowd of colluders.
when doyle and slim did it, the people they were playing with knew they were taking points from each other
I've been playing poker seriously since i was 19 (1.5 years) and have done very well over my "career". I also have a buddy who plays for a living and also does very well. We would always play at the same times and car pool, discuss strategy, analyze each others games etc. We noticed that often one of us would be running extremely hot and the other would be running on the down side of variance. We came up with an idea that we could split rolls, well not exactly, but basically buy in for the same amount, play for the same lenght of time, adn split the profit or share the loss. There is often only 1 table open of the limits we play, so we end up at the same table.Sooo....does anyone find it unethical, or wrong, with having two people at the same table doing this. I guess it's like the whole WPT issue with...fuck, i forget who it was, but two players having a shared intrest in each other. As long as we don't soft play each other, is this wrong?Discuss
So you are. . . 36?
So you are. . . 36?
I'm 21. 1.5 not 15.

Good for you and your friend, but I hate being at a table knowing people are doing it. I was at a friends home game during chrismas break last year. My friend and 2 other guys had their girlfriends back from college, so the 6 of them and then another friend and I were playing. At the end of the night the couples get together and you can see them choping up the money or covering the others loss. Lukcily I won that night or I may have complained. Not exactly all of them against my friend and I, but they all get help while we're on our own.

While you seem like a nice guy and it seems likely that you aren't intentionally colluding, the way you are playing is going to always tend towards collusion. It's not a perfectly competitive table in the same way a market with few companies is not perfectly competitive...When two people have incentives to collude, then they probably will.

"horsing" has been around forever. If trust is not an issue between you and your "horse" then it's just a private deal between the two (or more) parties, certainly nothing unethical about that. Just remember, there are as many ways to screw a partner horsing as there is anything else in deal-making. 1.5 years isn't a really long time to know someone when it comes to the motives of gamblers, especially if he approached you to start horsing and you never knew this guy before poker. I've seen the very best of friend become enemies over horsing in the past, someone usually finger pointing about the math sooner or later.Just don't take money off the table to stake your partner during a bad night. Our home games up here, you two would be out the door before the chips slid over to him.