daniel's performance in the wsop main event

I challenge anybody who says Daniel isn't playing well to watch the WSOP coverage tonight and still say that. The man played excellent poker but just got out-drawn in every big hand that he was involved in. His lay-down with the nut straight when Farha rivered the flush with his 92 :club: was impressive. Daniel also checked on the river with his pocket kings behind the guy who hits trip queens and didn't lose any money. In contrast Farha was hitting ridiculous cards. Daniel was having a bad run - when he snaps out of it everybody better watch out.

yeah i totally agree man, that was crazy first hand, ne else think it was a litlle funny that farha, insta-called the allin on the first hand , i mean he didnt have the nuts, im not laying that down, but im thinking abouti ....

I read about most of those hands (of course) in DN's blog back when they happened, but seeing them on TV was painful. A lot of good laydowns in there. The check-behind with the kings was good, but you almost have to do that against a certain type of player... it's pretty clear that most of the time he's doing his calldown routine with a queen.What happened to Jennifer Harmon was a lot worse though... no one would ever see that coming, and she lost most of her stack on that one hand (whereas Daniel took more of a "slow bleeding" from several different beats). I like that guy calling a big check-raise on the turn with the bottom end of a straight... on a paired board... against someone who could very easily have had QQ, JJ, or AK. His comment ("I don't see how I can lay this down") illustrates perfectly the difference between your average schmucks who are decent at poker, and people like Daniel and Jennifer who make their living off sniffing these things out. Average Joe in a hold 'em game can barely see past his own hole cards, even though somewhere inside of him, a little man is screaming "YOU'RE BEAT! FOLD, YOU MORON!"It was interesting to see how, uh, unconventionally Farha plays. I've done my share of "LAggy" play and luckboxing, but that was on another level. I loved the way he played that set of threes though. The younger guy who raised may as well have turned his hole cards over and showed them around, with that raise. It was clear what he had, and it was clear that if Sammy went all in, he was going to get called. Most people would play the set slower than that, but he definitely made the right move.

Daniels play in the wsop was not a shining moment..with great starting hands like he had ..he should have been going all in more and more too scare off those flush hunters ...come on betting 300 or 600 is not gonna do it...especially after he got beat trying too slow play three times ...Daniel change your approach once and awhile dude..go allin....YOU dont do it that much anymore..at least on tv...

Daniels play in the wsop was not a shining moment..with great starting hands like he had ..he should have been going all in more and more too scare off those flush hunters ...come on betting 300 or 600 is not gonna do it...especially after he got beat trying too slow play three times ...Daniel change your approach once and awhile dude..go allin....YOU dont do it that much anymore..at least on tv...
Going "all in" too much is well... bad. The goal for any pro player is to AVOID going all in at all costs. As you improve, you'll learn that.
Going "all in" too much is well... bad. The goal for any pro player is to AVOID going all in at all costs. As you improve, you'll learn that
The reason for this being is of course is that when either one of you is all in, the professional player can no longer use his superior skill to his advantage anymore and has to helplessly watch as the cards are rolled out.Then, of course, there is the notion that if you risk all your chips just 3 times as a 70% favorite, you are a 2 to 1 underdog to survive all 3 hands. This isn't to say you shouldn't love getting your chips in as a 70-30 favorite, but s person who risks all his chips 6 times in a tournament is obviously an underdog to last as long as a person who risks all his chips 2 or 3 times, even if they get it all in with the advantage.

I posted this in May and never heard from Daniel. It seems appropriate to mention now since he just made the comment about going all in early being bad, even if you are ahead.According to cardplayer.com, Daniel has just been knocked out in the following hand:With 2 limpers ahead of him Daniel Negreanu called from the small blind and the big blind checked. The flop came 8s Js 10h. Jean Robert Bellande bet out 575 which was raised to 1500 by Negreanu. Bellande re-raised to 4500. Negreanu re-raised to 8k, at which point Belland jumped out of his seat and moved all in. Negreanu called instantly. Negreanu showed J/10 for top two pair, and Bellande flipped over 10s 7s. The turn brought a 5s, giving Bellande the flush. The river, brought a 4h, sealing the deal for Negreanu. Asking Negreanu after the hand why he called, Negreanu replied, "It's BOBBY! He overplays draws all the time..." With that hand, Belland increased his stack to just over 70K and claims the chip lead.It is also important to note that both Daniel and Jean were the chip leaders at their table with about double their starting stack.Now I'm a huge fan of Daniel and I'm only being critical in hopes of improving my own game, but I can't help but feel that he shouldn't have committed all of his chips into the pot on the flop when he thought he was only a 2 to 1 favorite. If it was later in the tournament and the blinds were huge, it'd be a different story, but in the 2nd level of a 4 day tournament with small blinds, even when you're a 2 to 1 favorite, you're risking your tournament life to the luck of the cards.I think I would have called Bellande's reraise to 4500 to see what would develop. If a spade hits and I put him on a spade draw, then I can safetly muck my hand (unless the spade was a 10 of course). If a spade doesn't hit on the turn, I can aggressively bet and more effectively move my opponent off his draw since I'm now a 4.5 to 1 favorite in the hand.Please understand I am in no way bashing Daniel on his play. He's a far superior player to me, but even the best make mistakes. I guess what I'd really like to know, hopefully from Daniel, is if he thinks he made a mistake and overplayed his hand, or if he'd play it the same way every single time.All constructive criticism of my analysis of this hand is welcome.~Mike