Poker On A Resume

This has been discussed before, but my question is much more specific than anything I could find using the search feature.I think poker has become mainstream enough where an open-minded recruiter or company would not hold it against you if you put it on you're resume that you play poker. If they are intially turned off by it, then it is your job as a poker player to convince them of the valuable tools that you have learned while playing poker.If someone wanted to put on their resume that play poker professionally or semi-professionally, what skills/responsibilities could they list underneath the section of work experience titled Professional Poker Player.Here is a list of things I think you could put on your resume that display what you have learned from playing poker that would be attractive to a potential employer...- Perform standard deviation, variance, and risk of ruin calculations for risk analysis. (Bankroll Management)- Performed data analysis to calculate which hands were the most and least profitable (Analyzing your PT stats)- Project statistical probabilities of your opponents' actions to determine your own optimal action (Putting your opponent on a range of hands)Discuss more things you could add.Or, if necessary, discuss the merits of mentioning poker on a resume.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put professional poker player on your resume, and you were looking for a job, it might show the recruiter that you didn't do very well at it. (Since if you were good at it, you might still be doing or not have to work)

There's a huge distance between things that are acceptable and things that are qualifications. You put qualifications on a resume.Eating hamburgers is generally acceptable. Masturbating in private is generally acceptable. Don't put that on your resume, either.

This has been discussed before, but my question is much more specific than anything I could find using the search feature.I think poker has become mainstream enough where an open-minded recruiter or company would not hold it against you if you put it on you're resume that you play poker. If they are intially turned off by it, then it is your job as a poker player to convince them of the valuable tools that you have learned while playing poker.If someone wanted to put on their resume that play poker professionally or semi-professionally, what skills/responsibilities could they list underneath the section of work experience titled Professional Poker Player.Here is a list of things I think you could put on your resume that display what you have learned from playing poker that would be attractive to a potential employer...- Perform standard deviation, variance, and risk of ruin calculations for risk analysis. (Bankroll Management)- Performed data analysis to calculate which hands were the most and least profitable (Analyzing your PT stats)- Project statistical probabilities of your opponents' actions to determine your own optimal action (Putting your opponent on a range of hands)Discuss more things you could add.Or, if necessary, discuss the merits of mentioning poker on a resume.
Your resume would hit my trash bin fast.

I think that putting the fact that your a poker player on your resume is a great idea...if your interviewing with Full Tilt or Pokerstars...If your actually getting a real job and ever want to get an interview youd be nuts to put it on your resume...

I'd say never put it down as "work experience". But depending on your age some resume formats/application forms put a spot in for hobbies/activitiess this would be the place to list it. Also often during an interview you will be asked about what you do for fun this would be the time to mention it and if pressed illustrate the skills essential in poker that you feel translate well to said position.

I'd say never put it down as "work experience". But depending on your age some resume formats/application forms put a spot in for hobbies/activitiess this would be the place to list it. Also often during an interview you will be asked about what you do for fun this would be the time to mention it and if pressed illustrate the skills essential in poker that you feel translate well to said position.
Do people understand poker well enough for even this to be a good idea? I agree, valuable skills will carry over, but wouldn't most just view you as a degenerate gambler?
im still waiting for someone to touch on the standard deviation part. Im not sure what that even means. but i doubt it parts of poker.
Neither do I, I would love to hear it.I would guess that 20 buy ins is the mean and calculation of standard deviation for your bankroll says whether you should move up/down or not. meh, I gave it a shot...
Do people understand poker well enough for even this to be a good idea? I agree, valuable skills will carry over, but wouldn't most just view you as a degenerate gambler?
It depends on the position your applying for and how the person interviewing you feels about poker. It's not like if your asked what do you do in your spare time and then you say play poker and go into a ten minute theory lesson. Generally if you list a few things you do for fun they'll ask questions if they are interested in what you say.For example I ran a restaurant for eight years and as well owned a trading company for about half of that time. I left both places at the same time and spent a year doing some traveling and playing a lot of poker. After a year off I met with someone regarding a position within a restaurant chain when I mentioned what I'd been doing for the year the people I was meeting with began to ask a ton of questions and I was able to offer similarities between poker and trading and how I feel those traits can translate into a business setting. It's like anything in an interview you have to guage your audience. One of the people I was meeting with was in my age range, he had made comments that led me to believe he had an active social life so I felt it might be an avenue he'd find interesting. If I was meeting with only a quiet, withdrawn sixty year old I likely wouldn't have mentioned it.
I would not put it on a resume, but if you are trying to get into the financial market, it could really help you stand out when being interviewed.
no.
It depends on the position your applying for and how the person interviewing you feels about poker. It's not like if your asked what do you do in your spare time and then you say play poker and go into a ten minute theory lesson. Generally if you list a few things you do for fun they'll ask questions if they are interested in what you say.For example I ran a restaurant for eight years and as well owned a trading company for about half of that time. I left both places at the same time and spent a year doing some traveling and playing a lot of poker. After a year off I met with someone regarding a position within a restaurant chain when I mentioned what I'd been doing for the year the people I was meeting with began to ask a ton of questions and I was able to offer similarities between poker and trading and how I feel those traits can translate into a business setting. It's like anything in an interview you have to guage your audience. One of the people I was meeting with was in my age range, he had made comments that led me to believe he had an active social life so I felt it might be an avenue he'd find interesting. If I was meeting with only a quiet, withdrawn sixty year old I likely wouldn't have mentioned it.
did you get the job?
T- Perform standard deviation, variance, and risk of ruin calculations for risk analysis. (Bankroll Management)- Performed data analysis to calculate which hands were the most and least profitable (Analyzing your PT stats)- Project statistical probabilities of your opponents' actions to determine your own optimal action (Putting your opponent on a range of hands)
don't know what you are talking about.