so i discovred a bit of a leak.. i think its a leak. Maybe others have similar problems?(hidden brag)anyways, this week i played 2/3NL and was up 1800. A pretty big week for me for those stakes. I followed up the 5 days with a 6th day spew of 600. 400 of that 600 was spewed within the 1st hour of the day.wtfaments? It seems as though I'm playing too LAG at the end of these big weeks, and checked back to my past, where i had solid weeks and I seem to switch into this invincible type idiot who spews chips with top pair etc...I took a day off, and came back today with a TAG style, and cashed today. So the question is, how can i help myself become a better player long term, by avoiding these LAG sessions that cost meI've thoght about this in the past, and I guess i havent been able to correct it.

Ah yes, the counterpart of tilt, this is when you start making bad decisions because you're running well. This phenomenon needs a name. Not sure what you can do other than be aware of your tendencies and maybe double stress the importance of playing TAG (since that's what works for you) in your game plan at the end of good weeks. Your other option is that on the last day of any week you're up more than X instead of going to the tables you take a day off and blow those winnings on the vice of your choice.

I have the same problem, when I'm playing a LAG style, and I'm up, I tend to get overconfident, raising it up with J9 suited, from early position and calling a reraise etc. I notice that i leak a lot of chips when im 4 tabling and this happens. I start playing on autopilot.I would say the best thing is to just try to focus as someone mentioned before, make conscious decisions on every street.

I call it fancy pants syndrome or FPS... I actually had a case of it last night. I was betting like a maniac without the hand to back it up. I figured I would crush someone eventually but then I get KK in the SB bunch of limpers I raise and everyone folds. Usually I just take a break and say if I make one more bad play I am done for the night.

RoyalTour,My thoughts - (hopefully some of this will be useful for you).First of all i would consider this a form of Tilt, bad decisions when on top v. bad decisions when being beat (both = tilt) in my opinion.But the question really is a matter of perspective and in poker this can mean many things.1. Perception of villains range?2. What does the villain think of you?3. Perception of what it was that put you up in the first place.If its any consolation it is not only in poker where this happens to me. I used to play golf to a reasonable standard and had a problem where a good round would become ruined by the first four/five holes of the next. Eventually I realised that my enthuisiasm was leading me to try to force things.My memory of my last round was telling me that i played every shot well and I didn't.As a suggestion why not try solid abc poker for the first half hour or so of every session. Sure there may be times when you could have been more aggressive and bluffed somebody off but thit way you retune yourself in - and you may be able to use your tight table image a little later.So - my suggestion, start solid each session and feel your way in a little - don't get too clever till you've sat down a while. Kenny

RoyalTour,My thoughts - (hopefully some of this will be useful for you).First of all i would consider this a form of Tilt, bad decisions when on top v. bad decisions when being beat (both = tilt) in my opinion.But the question really is a matter of perspective and in poker this can mean many things.1. Perception of villains range?2. What does the villain think of you?3. Perception of what it was that put you up in the first place.If its any consolation it is not only in poker where this happens to me. I used to play golf to a reasonable standard and had a problem where a good round would become ruined by the first four/five holes of the next. Eventually I realised that my enthuisiasm was leading me to try to force things.My memory of my last round was telling me that i played every shot well and I didn't.As a suggestion why not try solid abc poker for the first half hour or so of every session. Sure there may be times when you could have been more aggressive and bluffed somebody off but thit way you retune yourself in - and you may be able to use your tight table image a little later.So - my suggestion, start solid each session and feel your way in a little - don't get too clever till you've sat down a while. Kenny
Good Post, I'm a golfer myself, have played since i was a child. I know exactly what you mean.Today / tonight I went in to the poker room and got into gear. forced myself to question every move or every call.turned out great, over all today i'm up 2.5 buy-ins which is most of my money back from the other day.I like the idea of ABC until i'm in the zone. makes sense. I'm going to start trying this out fulltime. I find that when i'm too exited to get back on the tables, or too full of myself, it leads to quick decisions which are usually poor ones.anyone read Ace on the river? I'm thinking of buying it, is it worth a read? would it help me get my mind into "fulltime player" mode?
anyone read Ace on the river? I'm thinking of buying it, is it worth a read? would it help me get my mind into "fulltime player" mode?
well, it's definately not going to give you much in the way of strategy tips. i really didn't like it, honestly, it has a good thesis and is full of good advice, but really, it's a short essay that has been blown up with a lot of pictures and wasted space and thick glossy paper to make you pay a lot for a little information that is basically common sense (although worth being reminded of).
but really, it's a short essay that has been blown up with a lot of pictures and wasted space and thick glossy paper to make you pay a lot for a little information that is basically common sense
This is pretty much true. I wouldn't recommend it to people for the most part. It's not terrible like a Hellmuth book, it's just not worth it.
Ah yes, the counterpart of tilt, this is when you start making bad decisions because you're running well. This phenomenon needs a name. Not sure what you can do other than be aware of your tendencies and maybe double stress the importance of playing TAG (since that's what works for you) in your game plan at the end of good weeks. Your other option is that on the last day of any week you're up more than X instead of going to the tables you take a day off and blow those winnings on the vice of your choice.
Well, we all know what monkeytilt is. Maybe this is donkeytilt? FWIW, I, too struggle with starting too loose in games with capped buyins and bigger stacks sitting. I don't mind loose play, but I think we have to be somewhat big before we can benefit from being loose. Or we can buy short and push hard. I dunno.
So - my suggestion, start solid each session and feel your way in a little - don't get too clever till you've sat down a while. Kenny
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I've always done best after just watching the people I don't know play for an hour.

This is something I should work on, playing the same game consistantly. I tend to have great sessions followed by not so great making me a little better than break even. Good thing I kept my day job.