Michigan Wolverines

I figure the off season should have enough news that I don't want keep bumping other threads to talk about it. I don't care if it's just me and Zimmer in here. 2008 started off with a bang, taking down a really good Florida team in the Capitol One bowl. Now we welcome in new head coach Rich Rodriguez and his spread offense.So far the transition looks like ti will be rough.Michigan expects to lose 3 key players

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Rich Rodriguez does not expect to coach wide receivers Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington or quarterback Ryan Mallett at Michigan.Manningham and Arrington will skip their senior seasons and Mallett will transfer, according to Rodriguez."Those are the indications I've gotten," Rodriguez told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "I've talked to all three at various times recently. I talked to Adrian today, and he told me he's leaning toward going pro.
Losing Manningham and Arrington will hurt, Arrington really needs one more year before going pro anyway but he will probably take a shot. I'm not upset about Mallet, guy is the most immobile QB since Drew Bledsoe.In related news regarding our new coach: Realitives of Rich Rodriguez facing threats & harrassmentAs for our incoming class... Current Commitments ListSome nice playersKevin Koger (TE) 6th ranked TEChristian Wilson (ILB) 6th ranked LBSam McGuffie (RB) 10th ranked RBDarryl Stonum (WR) 6th ranked WRBoubacar Cissoko (DB) 6th ranked DBAnd of course thanks to RR we are in like to possibly land Terrelle Pryor, the #1 overall prospect in the country.
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

firstedit: ok so i will add something.....if Rodriguez gets this offense of his on track and running soon it will be GG to the rest of the Big 10....well maybe besides Illinois but yeah....i see a bright future for Michigan assuming things go the way i think they will

firstedit: ok so i will add something.....if Rodriguez gets this offense of his on track and running soon it will be GG to the rest of the Big 10....well maybe besides Illinois but yeah....i see a bright future for Michigan assuming things go the way i think they will
I think next year is going to be tough, we are losing some big time players on both sides of the ball. I'd feel better if the two WR's were staying but that doesn't look likely. Next year I think OSU is the clear favorite in the Big-10 again, but the year after I'm hoping we can challenge for it.
Will Mallett be able to run the spread? I really don't know much about him.
Rich Rodriguez says the spread can be adapted to any type of QB, but a 6'7 drop back passer with no mobility seems like a bad fit to me. With the new offense coming in, and the two best wideouts about to go pro, it seems like a good time for him to look for a different program that plays a style he would be more suited too.
Rich Rodriguez says the spread can be adapted to any type of QB, but a 6'7 drop back passer with no mobility seems like a bad fit to me. With the new offense coming in, and the two best wideouts about to go pro, it seems like a good time for him to look for a different program that plays a style he would be more suited too.
yeah that kinda what I was thinking too. I hear ND could use some talent, but I guess Clausen is only a freshman.
yeah that kinda what I was thinking too. I hear ND could use some talent, but I guess Clausen is only a freshman.
ND also has one of the top QB recruits heading that way this year. I've heard rumors he might head to Arkansas.You know who landed a top QB that I was shocked by, Minnesota. The guy who was splitting time with Pryor in the all star game at QB was a similar type dual threat QB who looked pretty good.
You know who landed a top QB that I was shocked by, Minnesota. The guy who was splitting time with Pryor in the all star game at QB was a similar type dual threat QB who looked pretty good.
Well he shouldn't have a hard time getting playing time. From what I remember about Minn though is that they absolutely no defense. They need to recruit a few people who can tackle.

Chris Leak was not very mobile @ all and was able to run an adaptation of the spread offense. I think any decent QB can run it if the playcalling is right

Chris Leak was not very mobile @ all and was able to run an adaptation of the spread offense. I think any decent QB can run it if the playcalling is right
Chris Leak was a world class sprinter compared to Mallet.
You realize Zook is still coaching Illinois, right? He had talent for years in Florida and was an 8-3 coach. Guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag(see: losing to Iowa this year).
You realize Zook is still coaching Illinois, right? He had talent for years in Florida and was an 8-3 coach. Guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag(see: losing to Iowa this year).
yeah but he is an awesome recruiter so you just pair him with a really good asst. coach or something.
In fairness to Zook, Spurrier made a comment one time that he left the cupboard pretty bare at UF when he left. So Zook didn't have much to work with and was only there for 3 years. He never really got a shot to coach his players all that much.
ND also has one of the top QB recruits heading that way this year. I've heard rumors he might head to Arkansas.You know who landed a top QB that I was shocked by, Minnesota. The guy who was splitting time with Pryor in the all star game at QB was a similar type dual threat QB who looked pretty good.
I read somewhere today (can't recall where) that Mallett may follow Carr's OC and QB coach to Tennessee.
In fairness to Zook, Spurrier made a comment one time that he left the cupboard pretty bare at UF when he left. So Zook didn't have much to work with and was only there for 3 years. He never really got a shot to coach his players all that much.
Spurrier might've said that, but it's not true. Look at the NFL drafts the years during and after Zook's tenure. LOADS of 1st round talent.
with Rrod calling the plays, the playcalling is never right (ahum Pitt?)
Mannigham officially made himself eligible for the NFL draft :club:
Doesn't matter, Manningham was lazy and overrated. We're better without him just starting over with a whole new crew of skill players.

I have no basis for this statement.I think you guys will land Pryor. He doesnt seem like the type to go to a school where he wont be the starter right away. Michigan is the biggest name where that can happen.

I have no basis for this statement.I think you guys will land Pryor. He doesnt seem like the type to go to a school where he wont be the starter right away. Michigan is the biggest name where that can happen.
um, pryor would start @ osu. esp. after the egg that boeckman laid in the BCS Nat'l Championship game.