Former Christian Tells The Story Of How He "deconverted"

These videos are fascinating. I think both the christians and the nonbelievers here will find these interesting. I am only partway through since there is a lot of footage here, but this guy is very eloquent and good at explaining what was going on in his mind when he was a christian and what was going on as he changed. http://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3#grid/...0C3C1D163BE880A

But since he was a Christian, his thinking process is in question, therefore any changes to his beliefs are tempered with the fact that he obviously doesn't think right....So in essence what you have just proven is that atheist are poor thinkers.

But since he was a Christian, his thinking process is in question, therefore any changes to his beliefs are tempered with the fact that he obviously doesn't think right....So in essence what you have just proven is that atheist are poor thinkers.
It was more like his ability to think was in conflict with his christianity, and eventually his ability to think won out. I'm done watching the whole thing now... really really interesting what he struggled with.
It was more like his ability to think was in conflict with his christianity, and eventually his ability to think won out. I'm done watching the whole thing now... really really interesting what he struggled with.
I need to find some time to watch these, looks good. I am passing the link on to some others to watch.

Despite being kind of a sissy and having had taken so long to realize he and all his church friends were idiots, he presents a very well done and well reasoned account of, and argument for, the cessation of idiocy.

Ha didn't really think he was. Jesus, he simply realized that his first instinct after coming to terms with athiesm was to save everyone like Jesus did.
Perhaps there is a problem with the translation.
Now I wish that I could you that after making this fairly fairly lucid observation about the traditional theistic, Christian concept of God, that I moved on rationally from there to greater purposes and higher forms of learning. But that would not be the truth, because that is not what happened, at least not initially.I was convinced that this God was Satan. And that Satan was nothing -- literally nothing -- completely insubstatantial, able to create nothing on its own, or even to exist on its own. And this false god clothed itself in the majesty of the real god. And if I had the power to stop it, then that made me Jesus.That's right: for four very interesting days, I thought I was literally the second coming of Jesus Christ. I began to reinterpret Revelation, which I apparently still felt had some kind of authority, despite the fact that I no longer believed the bible was completely true.The Beast was the God of the Old Testament, the theistic God in its most terrible form. The false prophet had been Moses. People had mistaken Revelation completely. Our actual spot in the prophecy was near the end.The devil was ready to be chained and banished. His manifestation as the theistic God ready to be unveiled, revealing his true insubstatiality, his ultimate nothingness, at which point he would fade from existence, removing the barrier between humanity and the transcedent reality of heaven, which existed fully in the natural world.And the man riding on the horse? The one whose name was known only to himself? That was me. I would never tell a soul of my identity. I would only guide humanity past the barrier in our transcendence and allow heaven to be my guide.
Perhaps there is a problem with the translation.
I was watching them on my phone while working around the house and maybe didn't pay that close of attention. I took it as he was having a sort of breakdown and through the transition period he was literally thinking of himself as a Jesus type figure that could take his new knowledge and spread it to everyone. It is was very similar to someone that gets "saved" and can't stop talking or thinking about it. It was definately odd and interesting. I'll have to watch it again.
  • 1 month later...

Breaking free from the mindfucking of formal theology has created more strident atheists than science. If the concept of god is to survive in the 21st century and beyond, it won't happen on the back of a 2000 year old fairy tale. It will be something along the lines of "Yah know, maybe we were created by a higher power..." and that's pretty much it. The whole formal religion thing with complex series of bizarre superstitions just isn't going to cut it anymore. Feed your kids that bullshit and you're only ensuring that one day, when they do get their heads out of their ass, it will be a violent reaction and likely cause them to reject the concept of god all together.

• 8 months later...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...91974/index.htm"Discouraged for religious reasons from playing basketball, a young Jehovah's Witness who would soon be 7 feet tall had to decide whether to follow his mother's ardent beliefs or his own heart."
Wow, that's a great but completely insane story. It's sad his mother doesn't realize that she the good values she raised him with have made him a great basketball player and person and helped him get an education.